Banned

Contact Cement application on sealed wood

Gonna be applying contact cement to hydroturf the front deck of my bass tracker PT175.

Plan is to apply per directions, and use the wax paper trick to place it......but I had one last question. The can says to sand before applying.

I sealed the plywood deck with Spar Urethane (3 coats over 3 days). Thing seems pretty coated. I was planning just to apply the cement as is to the surface of the wood and back of the hydroturf.....but since the can says to sand in preperation it has me wondering. Sanding seems counterproductive since itll remove the coat of S.Urethane and making things less water tight.....right?

Let me know what you all think. Sand...or just roll on as is?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Sand it. Nonporous surfaces need to be roughed up to get a bond. You don’t have to remove the urethane, just scratch it up.

BTW, if you’ve never used contact cement, pay attention to the flammability warning. The fumes will go hunt down a flame to ignite.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Scuff it and go.

4. Member
    what is this wax paper trick you are referencing?

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    what is this wax paper trick you are referencing?
    from my understanding.....

you apply contact cement to both sides and let dry per instruction on can. then you place/lay wax paper out on 1 piece...wax paper touching the adhesive. Then lay out and properly set the second piece ON TOP of the wax paper. Once properly set/aligned or whatever we'll call it...you pull out wax paper and let the 2 pieces touch so they adhere. Supposedly the wax paper wont stick to the contact cement.......can anyone confirm or deny this trick? Planning a test run on a random piece of scrap wood and hydroturf tomorrow or sunday....so kinda skeptical, but I have no choice but to BELIEVE!!!! LMAO

Just apply while tacky and still liquid/more gel form. You'll have to press down a few times over the course of 5 minutes but that's just good practice and usually it'll take and keep first application. I've yet to set a piece of carpet 13 years dry. You can work it and adjust it.

7. Banned
    so dont let it fully dry the 15 minutes like the instructions say?

Feel it. When it starts to pull in a couple of places and is getting tacky lay it down. Don’t wait till it’s “touch and stuck”.