Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Caney Lake Slot removal......

I read a news article on our local news channel that the slot will be removed from Caney Lake (north La) Feb. 20th.....10 fish limit with no size....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Some lakes I get it.....but Caney seemed to stay pretty solid. I got sent a pic yesterday of a 13lber on a local lake with no size limit.......who knows what works....

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Saw that pic also....good looking solid fish

Don't like the new changes on such a small lake. That being said, I don't think it has anything to do with the fish, its all about the MONEY!!! My thoughts are that its all about getting more people to rent cabins, RV slots, etc. all year long.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

Im all for the slot removed on Caney I fish it several times a year. I can tell you not many folks has followed the slot rule there for a while.

6. Banned
    Not exactly sure how it all works but I'll throw on my two cents for what's it worth... Caney was made as a reservoir for a water supply for surrounding communities and also as a "trophy bass " lake. It was stocked with Florida strain bass and threadfin shad to create that type of lake. The slot limit was put in place to ensure quality fish were bountiful and with the expectations of plenty of them potentially reaching trophy status. The lake was continually stocked with fingerlings and shad to keep it pumping out fish and that it did until they added 1400 too many grass carp ( that's a whole another story) ....With the oilfield hurting like it has the last 4 years or so the revenue the state was getting off of it has been diminished to the point of cutting out as much as possible to save as much money as they can. Not sure if they still stock shad or not ,but if not ,it would make sense too remove slot and harvest some of those quality fish as they eat more than smaller fish to help ensure there is enough feed to still crank out some trophies here and there ... may be wrong not an expert ,just a guess as why , I'm sure someone can chime in that knows more than me on the situation

7. Banned
    Another reason for the removal that was previously touched on by T-bob. After Toledo Bend was named number one lake in America two years in a row by BASS people flocked with ice chest and ziploc bags to fill. Don't fish that area enough to say for sure but word is it was over harvested with many 5-6+ pounders getting the knife. So why not kill two birds with one stone at Caney lake with the second one being let's open the gates for meat hunters and generate revenue for state park (just jacked up price from $800 for a week long stay to $1200)...article should have started with Come to Caney lake and make sure you bring as many ice chests and ziplock bags as possible!!!! Not b!tch!ng at meat hunters just sayin why I think slot was removed from Caney.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Since the slot will be removed from there this month and most other lakes got them removed year or so ago has all the others gone down also???

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Since the slot will be removed from there this month and most other lakes got them removed year or so ago has all the others gone down also???
    Don't fish a whole lot of different lakes but I would think that a judgement rendered on the effect of the removal of size limits can't be made in a year or two time frame. Also so many other factors play a role water levels, cover, food sources,and hurricanes for us in the deep south just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    You keep mentioning other lakes, most other lakes are not as small as Caney so I doubt it would be comparing apples to apples.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

The slot should have been changed 12 years ago. The slot should be 19-24 and actually enforced. You never see game wardens on Caney except for the holidays where they are looking for drunk people pleasure boating. Louisiana does not care about their resources because the almighty dime. Politics and money will always kill Louisiana's fisheries. We could have the same success Texas lakes have but we don't take care of our resources like they do.

12. Member
    politics and money kill everything in la!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE ALMIGHTY View Post
    Another reason for the removal that was previously touched on by T-bob. After Toledo Bend was named number one lake in America two years in a row by BASS people flocked with ice chest and ziploc bags to fill. Don't fish that area enough to say for sure but word is it was over harvested with many 5-6+ pounders getting the knife. So why not kill two birds with one stone at Caney lake with the second one being let's open the gates for meat hunters and generate revenue for state park (just jacked up price from $800 for a week long stay to $1200)...article should have started with Come to Caney lake and make sure you bring as many ice chests and ziplock bags as possible!!!! Not b!tch!ng at meat hunters just sayin why I think slot was removed from Caney.
    You must not like to eat!!!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hse87 View Post
    You must not like to eat!!!
    I love to eat fish ... my first choice is sac-a-lait . Just was stating why I think the slot was removed!!! I've done my share of keeping under slot fish in Caney the last 14 years, trust me hse87. I grew up watching bass fishing shows and thinking how stupid those guys were for letting a fish go instead of throwing them in the ice chest. I now understand why... part of the maturation process my friend. Rather grab a fish sandwich from McDonalds than knife a 5+lb bass to eat !!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE ALMIGHTY View Post
    I love to eat fish ... my first choice is sac-a-lait . Just was stating why I think the slot was removed!!! I've done my share of keeping under slot fish in Caney the last 14 years, trust me hse87. I grew up watching bass fishing shows and thinking how stupid those guys were for letting a fish go instead of throwing them in the ice chest. I now understand why... part of the maturation process my friend. Rather grab a fish sandwich from McDonalds than knife a 5+lb bass to eat !!
    I totally agree with throwing the big fish back they aren't fit to eat my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    Louisiana does not care about their resources because the almighty dime. Politics and money will always kill Louisiana's fisheries. We could have the same success Texas lakes have but we don't take care of our resources like they do.
    Its a mentality that’s passed down. Has nothing to do with this game wardens. I’ve hunted and fished Texas my entire life and never been checked by a Warden. We, I’m mid 30s, were raised to shoot any thing with a horn, and every bass hit the ice. My generation actually started to raise their kids with conservation in mind. Let the little ones walk for deer, and let the big bass go. One of the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done was release a 9+Lber in a heavily pressured area. Couple pics a d threw her back.

The old timers.....my dad and uncles said I was crazy! SHOULDA MOUNTED IT........that’s the Louisiana mentality that’s killing the states potential

Quote Originally Posted by DLAB View Post
    Its a mentality that’s passed down. Has nothing to do with this game wardens. I’ve hunted and fished Texas my entire life and never been checked by a Warden. We, I’m mid 30s, were raised to shoot any thing with a horn, and every bass hit the ice. My generation actually started to raise their kids with conservation in mind. Let the little ones walk for deer, and let the big bass go. One of the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done was release a 9+Lber in a heavily pressured area. Couple pics a d threw her back.

The old timers.....my dad and uncles said I was crazy! SHOULDA MOUNTED IT........that’s the Louisiana mentality that’s killing the states potential
    Good post. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DLAB View Post

And the replica's today are awesome!!! Why mount a real fish anymore.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    The slot should have been changed 12 years ago. The slot should be 19-24 and actually enforced. You never see game wardens on Caney except for the holidays where they are looking for drunk people pleasure boating. Louisiana does not care about their resources because the almighty dime. Politics and money will always kill Louisiana's fisheries. We could have the same success Texas lakes have but we don't take care of our resources like they do.
    Nailed it.

Anyone fished Caney lately? Did they spawn yet or has it just begun? Whats the water temp?
    Xpress X19/200SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast