Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bob View Post
    Anyone fished Caney lately? Did they spawn yet or has it just begun? Whats the water temp?
    They are spawning. Water temp is around 62. And since they’ve taken the slot off you can barely find parking places at the ramps. Zip lock bags are being sold in record numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    And since they’ve taken the slot off you can barely find parking places at the ramps. Zip lock bags are being sold in record numbers.
    Thanks for the info....Figured that would be the case with the meat hunters.

Oh well, we'll be up that way next Saturday for a week. Staying at the state park. Looking to do a little sight fishing, hopefully they still have a few up on beds when we get there.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

3. Member
    My two nephews and their dad were up there this weekend, I was to go but had other things come up. They caught one a little over 11 pounds, if I remember correctly and she's there to be caught again. They said the fishing was tough not many numbers wise, but they still had fish on beds.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Congrats to those guys Jeff, that's a trophy for sure!
    Thanks for the report buddy. I see there is a cold snap coming for mid week this week up there, hopefully that will make some of them pull back until I get there.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    They are spawning. Water temp is around 62. And since they’ve taken the slot off you can barely find parking places at the ramps. Zip lock bags are being sold in record numbers.
    Was up there last week and caught the fire out of em,, got interviewed by LWFD officer and he was doing a survey on what was caught and how many fish folks were keeping ,, asked him the results so far and he said very few was being kept, so maybe it will not be that bad after all ,,but it is way to early to tell i know ,,,he almost seemed agitated because i did not keep any, I sure wish they would have waited till after the spawn was over to lift the slot limit,,,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bob View Post
    Congrats to those guys Jeff, that's a trophy for sure!
    Thanks for the report buddy. I see there is a cold snap coming for mid week this week up there, hopefully that will make some of them pull back until I get there.
    I was joking and asked where exactly did you catch it, I know some people who are going up and I want to give them a shot at her. It took a while but the response I got was NO
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

7. Member
    If I had to guess I would say the LDWF surveys have shown a large population of small bass and there is a need to remove some fish to get the lake balanced. Like most smaller lakes about 3 years after the initial stocking it is best to harvest around 20-25 lbs per acre a year to free up some forage or you will end up with a bass crowded scenario with lots of small bass and very few large ones. I know a lot of folks in LA keep fish to eat, but its less than it used to be and most bass anglers would rather harvest the smaller fish to eat. I'd say if you went to Caney and caught 20-30 12" bass I believe that is the reason for the slot removal, but I've never been there

8. Member
    The overpopulated range on Caney always seemed to be the unders that could have been kept anyway. I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks the lake has too many 5 pounders. That's the main reason i didn't agree with the slot getting lifted.
    Skeeter ZX250
    Yamaha 250 HPDI

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle31 View Post
    The overpopulated range on Caney always seemed to be the unders that could have been kept anyway. I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks the lake has too many 5 pounders. That's the main reason i didn't agree with the slot getting lifted.
    I should have looked into the slot before posting. I was thinking they lifted a minimum length limit or something. But I do know the LDWF posts lake management plans on their web page maybe the 2017 report is posted and it has the answers for why the slot was removed.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d..._mp-b_2017.pdf

Yep, data is probably from the same folks that suggested to put the carp in the lake.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_prodigy75 View Post
    I should have looked into the slot before posting. I was thinking they lifted a minimum length limit or something. But I do know the LDWF posts lake management plans on their web page maybe the 2017 report is posted and it has the answers for why the slot was removed.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d..._mp-b_2017.pdf
    Good read! At least wlf recognizes they screwed up with the carp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12