1986 Champion fish and ski, broken wire, need wiring diagram

Hello all,

I read in an older post that ChampioNman was the keeper of the older champion boat wiring diagrams. Instead of singling him out, as he may possibly not have it, I wanted to ask whoever sees this. I have discovered a broken wire going to my engine. I'm not sure if I caught it while cleaning recently or if it's been broke for a while, as I haven't noticed anything not working properly. Besides maybe my trim gauge or mph gauge at the dash. Its been a couple weeks since I've been able to get it on the water. My boat is a 1986 Champion fish and ski 17' 6"(I believe)with a 135hp Mercury. The wire (pictured below) is white and blue or purple. I'd like to get a diagram in case I run into any future problems I may need to resolve. My email is: fornelli32@hotmail.com.

Thanks for your time!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sorry can’t help much but isn't that the same wire in the background of the second picture? Trace where thats going and post a pic.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'll send you the owners manual but it won't help in this case as that looks like an engine wire. I'm with Bigmouth it looks like the break is under the clamp. Just a guess but do you have a temp gauge on the console?

4. Member
    ChampioNman you nailed it. The break was under the clamp and It ended up being for my temp sensor. Since I’ve owned the boat it hadn’t ever worked but I never messed with. I don’t have a picture but I traced it to the head and that was the only wire that color under my dash and it was connected to my temp gauge. I soldered and taped it up. Now my temp gauge works.
    ChampioNman I believe I found the wiring diagram in my owners manual. I figured out once I looked at it that it wouldn’t have any engine info. Heck it might not even help me on wiring issues directly related to just the boat because things have been changed over the couse of this boats life. Thanks for both of your input.

5. Member

Fighting wiring often - manual would be appreciated!

Hi - I would really appreciate the manual, as well, if you could send it. I have a 1985 17' Fish and Ski, and we fight the wiring often. Thanks!

6. Member
    Welcome Garland (do they still call it CARLAND, TX?) , you will need to post up or PM your email addy for someone to send the manual to.

7. Member
    Thanks Pops ....ChampioNman sent me the one for the 1988 fisher (Thanks!!!!!!). My only follow-up question is if there's a difference between the wiring on the fisher vs. the Fish and Ski .... ? I know you said no diff between the 1988 and 1985, but wasn't sure if that was for all models.

Thank you all!

8. Member
    Actually, I sent ChampioNman a copy of My manual a couple years ago and he compared his to mine-Identical. Someone else may have a better answer, but it is my understanding back in those days there was only one manual, period.

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    mjllis, No difference between models, as far as I know....Manuals were by years...and very generic...

seems more to do with engine harness... this helps to have a copy of...
    http://nolanwebdev.com/a/2018/01/mer...meter-40hp.jpg

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    seems more to do with engine harness... this helps to have a copy of...
    http://nolanwebdev.com/a/2018/01/mer...meter-40hp.jpg
    Dave that issue was fixed, new member mjills has a question on her boat wonder if the schematic from the owners manual was different for different models from the owners manuals provided to her. But that link for the Merc harness is very helpful thanks for posting that!

12. Member
    Thank you all for the great info! It is appreciated!