Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going to Lake Barkley

If I can get any info about Barkley from anyone out there many thanks. I'll be going the first of May.

Thanks again,
    Roger

2. Member
    That time of year, the spawn should be well underway. You’ll probably find fish in all three stages...pre, spawn and post spawn. Lead in banks, secondary points in front of spawning areas and hard, shallow areas are three areas I’d start on.

Just so you know...Barkley can get VERY muddy if it’s rainy. Don’t be afraid to venture over to Kentucky Lake via the canal if it does.

Also, if you’ve not been on Barkley before, pay attention to the buoys. Even at summer pool, which the lake should be at by May 1, you can easily donate a lower unit on Barkley if you don’t know where you are going. If you don’t know, go slow.

3. Member
    May be a bit early, but it's a great numbers lake. A few years ago, that was our annual vacation, right around Memorial Day. Our best areas were from the prison area toward Barkley dam for maybe 3 miles on the "prison" side. It's a really good area. If it is not a full pool when you go, be careful, it's easy to tear something up.

4. Member
    going to be fun if not too late!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sflam123 View Post
    That time of year, the spawn should be well underway. You’ll probably find fish in all three stages...pre, spawn and post spawn. Lead in banks, secondary points in front of spawning areas and hard, shallow areas are three areas I’d start on.

Just so you know...Barkley can get VERY muddy if it’s rainy. Don’t be afraid to venture over to Kentucky Lake via the canal if it does.

Also, if you’ve not been on Barkley before, pay attention to the buoys. Even at summer pool, which the lake should be at by May 1, you can easily donate a lower unit on Barkley if you don’t know where you are going. If you don’t know, go slow.
    Good information there. Obviously getting fishing information is wonderful but, safety information is even more valuable to me. What is the hazard you speak of on Barkley, is it submerged trees, rocks, sandbars or a combination of them all?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMChamp View Post
    Good information there. Obviously getting fishing information is wonderful but, safety information is even more valuable to me. What is the hazard you speak of on Barkley, is it submerged trees, rocks, sandbars or a combination of them all?
    Stumps

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    Stumps

Thank you,

8. Member
    When your on plane stay in the channel Barkley get super shallow super quick in lots of places. Enjoy

9. Member
    High muddy water right now, that’s not uncommon in the spring. I’ll trundle down and flip a bush or three in May. I’m no where near the prison. The upper end fishes like the river it is.

Where are you staying ?

11. Member
    Also remember just about every bay you go into will have some sort of road bed across the mouth of the bay.[QUOTE=ohsnags;9095542]Stumps[/QUOTE

12. Member
    And you may want to check the weather each day before heading out especially the wind them lakes can get rough in a hurry.

13. Member
    Bush fishing should be good.

14. Member
    Combination of all, you can also go from 40' to 2' just outside of the channel. That time of year it should be getting close to summer pool but if you come down during the draw down in the fall or winter be very careful if you don't know your way around. I've been on lake Barkley for 20 years and found another submerged rail road track a couple years ago.

15. Member
    When going upstream remember to keep the red bouys on your right.
    I fished it with a friend who could never keep it straight.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warthogr View Post
    If I can get any info about Barkley from anyone out there many thanks. I'll be going the first of May.

Thanks again,
    Roger
    Fish on the creek channel drop offs just inside the bays, the bush fishing has just about gone south on both lakes. Shallow water to me on Barkley is like 10 foot, on Ky 15 foot, those fish could very well be deeper depending on weather conditions. As all have said be careful, will be at summer pool about Middle to latter part of April.

17. Member
    Barkley has numerous shallow areas outside of the main channel where you can hit stumps, rocks, old foundations, and gravel bars. These same hazards exist in the major creeks and bays.

18. Banned
    There's no telling what will be happening then. Either way though, it's usually a good time for numbers, a little tough to find the big ones then as they'll be so scattered and probably a number of different things working. Might even be a good yellow flower bite then.

Different parts of the lake will be fishing differently then too due to the water temp. You might find it to be 4 degrees or more warmer down south near the TN line than what it is at the dam or canal, which can have a large impact. Might be better down south, or it could be better up north. Like I said, there's no telling what will be going on then. Just have to go fishing.

19. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Jack View Post
    When going upstream remember to keep the red bouys on your right.
    I fished it with a friend who could never keep it straight.

The easiest way to remember is RED, RIGHT, RETURN. As said, Heading up river, keep red buoys to your right.

20. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Another thing to consider is the Elites will be on Kentucky Lake the first week of May. They are going to go out of Paris,. Lodging in the area may be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast