Thread: Ultrex

Ultrex

Other than my cover needing to be modified. What else do I need to think about to swap from the MG to the ultrex.
    Anyone do there’s them self ? How long will I take? Bolt up a pain in the butt?
    2017 Puma FTD.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

I did mine - easy

went from MG tour to Ultrex.

Had to drill ill two new holes. Used the other four from the MG. Just take off the side plate on the Ultrex mount to get to the extra holes.

Do suggest having a 2nd pair of hands. I didn't and it was a challenge, those things are heavy.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Lol. I knew this was coming. It’s not a hard swap. Hardest part is getting it bolted back down. Btw my NEW motorguide is on the way to Jones Trolling Motor Service today to get fixed. Smh they just don’t make em like they used to
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

4. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    Will the Ultrex foot pedal fit in the Sabre? The MinKota has a wide footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    Will the Ultrex foot pedal fit in the Sabre? The MinKota has a wide footprint.
    it should. Fit fine in my PII
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

6. Member
    I just got my margay back from the shop yesterday had a 75lb motorguide tour edition, swapped to the 80lb 45 inch ultrex. My aurora cover fit fine no need for modification, don't know if I was just lucky or not. The nice thing about the ultrex on the margay compared to the motorguide is the height off the deck, I can know fit rods on that side of the boat without worry of crunching them as I stow the troller. I can still open the passenger side box with it stowed which was one of my big concerns as well. I think they used half the holes and had to plug the others, they hardwired it for me and put a 60 amp breaker with on off switch in the bilge right next to the charger. Im excited to use it here in march, I am hopeful it is the game changer everyone say's it is.

7. Member
    I’m installing mine as we speak. On the PUMA. It’s half done. Looks like my rod box will clear. I left the 2 spacers that were under the x5 in place even though I don’t think it needed them. But it gives clearance all the way around. And I don’t mind the look.
    ill give a report after I’m finished. But I have a list of thing to do tomorrow. Like registration numbers, fix my step box lid, install a battery bus. Mount a phone holder radio holder and charging system. And Look at install on the power pole anchor light. Ect.

and clean it wow it’s dirty!
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

8. Member
    If you don't have one, give some serious thought to adding the Troll Tamer to keep your new Ultrex from bouncing around. They work very well and easy to use. I don't bother with those stabilizers that MK includes.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    Thanks I was looking at the one That was on my MG. Not sure it will work. Guess I’ll have to order a new one.

edit
    or maybe not just saw a picture on another post that may work.
    Last edited by Jetboy; 02-21-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

10. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    That troll tamer on the boat should work. Youll probably have to move it though
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

11. Member
    Well I almost got the thing to throw me out of the boat in the first 10 minutes. I just put it in the water. And amy called to come pick her up. I was showing her the spot lock. And just standing on the front deck. And the thing went into a big bad power 10 thrust to the left. One more step and I was wet. Amy has desided that is the funniest thing she has seen in a long time and has asked that if I shut the main engine off that I wear a lifejacket.�� and put up a go pro. I will report when i have a better evaluasion. Or get wet.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

12. Member
    Jetboy you do bring up a good point, I will be taking mine down to KY lake March 10th for the maiden ultrex voyage. I have read the directions and watched the youtube stuff on the two calibrations that need to be performed but is there anything else I need to do? On a 17ft margay do I need to adjuust settings for size and weight of boat? Anyone have any additional tips, I am a little worried that I will be 6 hours from home on the first trip before I will have any experience with the motor.

13. Member
    Grapela, the default setting for boat scale is 0. It controls the amount of thrust used on Spot Lock to hold the boat. You don’t want it to throw you over with too much thrust when it kicks on. Use a lower setting for lighter boats, and a higher one for heavier boats. You can adjust it on the water as required.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    Jetboy you do bring up a good point, I will be taking mine down to KY lake March 10th for the maiden ultrex voyage. I have read the directions and watched the youtube stuff on the two calibrations that need to be performed but is there anything else I need to do? On a 17ft margay do I need to adjuust settings for size and weight of boat? Anyone have any additional tips, I am a little worried that I will be 6 hours from home on the first trip before I will have any experience with the motor.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ghlight=ultrex
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

15. Member
    Ok 2nd day 2nd hr of messing with the new to me ultrex.
    Right off the bat I could do everything I did with the old trolling motors of yesteryear. ‘You can fish with power steering! strait off the bat. Then you figure out the remote. It’s nice. I sat in the back of the boat for 20 min just playin with it. So cool. I’m now leaving my cove with the 250 xp engine at idle and still useing trolling motor for power. And I bet tomorrow it will follow waypoints out. But that’s tomorrow. Today I will tell you I love it. It works it’s butt off to hold position in spot lock. It will Make the puma break 7mph in a strait line. Havnt gone for a record yet. paced amy today in the kayak and was amazed that she cruised at 3.5 mph for a long time.and I was just as quiet as I sat drinking my beer in the back of the boat! That’s just weird. You’ll see.

‘The heading indicator puck didn’t care were it was..I did it on the floor, I did it on the seat. Ect...other than dont move it as you do the turns! It will fail to test. mine is now balanced (nothing holding it) under the dash -8 degrees off center on the strip of glass that bass cat put there. And so you know that’s after 5 or 6 70 mph passes and wake jumps. Not a permanent fix but works. And is wired into the cigarette lighter. Ie power plug. Tuned and worked great, so far.i used the jog a bit and it works but not sure I even need it. I put the heading indicator on to see if it helps spot lock ect. Can’t tell yet. It does very well on its own. If it gets lazy it just works fast and hard to make up..Ei throw you out of boat! Be ready.

now to fish. Unless y’all say shut up. I’ll let you know in a few weeks.
    but so far I can say.
    its easy to use... you will have no problem using it strait up. No instructions required. Or downloading the directions much less reading them.

It’s heavier and I used .5 more up trim to get the nose to fly. But the feel was better for me. I still can’t drive. But it more or less made the boat more stable at my light loads without the wells full. And full tanks. I still have a lot of room to grow at 73 and 4 miles. But it was my second best. As I get lazy and lose attention. Seem at 4 miles.
    sorry so long but it was a big day. Thanks for all your input and friendship.
    Last edited by Jetboy; 02-24-2018 at 03:29 AM.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Jetboy- what’s your boat scale set at? You shouldn’t feel like your getting thrown out.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

17. Member
    Default. I fished with it for about 5hr or more yesterday. It’s not bad and I’m getting used to it.and I’m getting used to the boat moving around without my knowledge. So far The 2 times I’ve almost fell out. I had my back to the trolling motor. And it got behind in spot lock and made a big move left to correct. But it’s awsome at how well it works. It was very funny that it did it as I was explaining to the wife All about it.lol I fished 4 points yesterday, that before I would have never fished. Just wouldn’t have worked that hard. 20 mph wind. It made it so nice. I even moved to the back of the boat and really covered the area.
    still learning but so far this is awsome. I think I’ll sell half my rods and the big merc250 when I retire. Before I’ll give up the ultrex.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”