Thread: Garmin

Angry Garmin

I just had a Garmin 93sv echomap plus and Panoptix installed on my boat. The maps are very bad. Ross Barnett lake does not have one foot contours or show the channel markers. Sardis Lake is about two thirds mapped. The Garmin Rep I spoke to said there are no updates for the maps. All he can do is tell enginerring to have the lakes mapped. I am glad I have two Lowrance units on the console. I hope the Panoptix works like they said or all of it is going back to Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by crm View Post
    I just had a Garmin 93sv echomap plus and Panoptix installed on my boat. The maps are very bad. Ross Barnett lake does not have one foot contours or show the channel markers. Sardis Lake is about two thirds mapped. The Garmin Rep I spoke to said there are no updates for the maps. All he can do is tell enginerring to have the lakes mapped. I am glad I have two Lowrance units on the console. I hope the Panoptix works like they said or all of it is going back to Garmin.
    You have Quick draw. Give it shot as its the cats pajamas. None of my lakes are mapped.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    For $999.00 it should have everything you need to navigate safely.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You follow maps to navigate???? I dont think i would ever do that.....maybe as an aide but never the main thing......Lowrance insight mapping showing boat lanes is off pretty bad, but i dont use it to navigate.......

Also did you not look at the list of lakes prior to buying unit??? All brands will give a list of what they cover....

Now i have to say that Toledo Bend is halfway mapped (south half) and thats a major lake...plus all the lakes i fish around my area is not mapped....but i can say the same for Lowrance and Navionics......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Banned
    always check to make sure your lakes are covered. looks like both of those are 1' contours but neither are max def lakes, which is what you want

https://lakes.garmin.com/

6. Member
    I thought 1' contours was max def. How is max def more detailed than 1' contours?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Banned
    those lake are not listed as max def, just hd. they both do say 1' though. max def was actually scanned by garmin was my interpretaion

Any map that is not "live" scanned on the water is useless IME. This goes for all the brands

9. Member
    The underwater world has changed. We demand a lot more from the mapping companies. Been a user of Garmin products for a couple of years but in the past have used Navionics and my level of comfort and acceptance was a lot higher than with Garmin Mapping. Garmin needs to open that door. If the top of their corporate world understands fisherman, they understand, there are few groups that are more "Brand Loyal" than anglers and Navionics is a brand.

10. Banned
    they are going to incorporate the navioincs data into their maps. 'to fill the gaps' is what they said

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    they are going to incorporate the navioincs data into their maps. 'to fill the gaps' is what they said
    Any idea when we might see something? Garmin is really lacking in NC....