Thread: Just got word

Just got word

That my boat is in the beginning stages of being built. My question is.... What protection does the boat come out of the factory with on the gelcoat? I dealt with alot of oxidation on my old boat and want to make sure I have it under control from the get go.

BCB uses a finishing polish on the boat after it is completed, so they have you covered. When I got my new Sabre last year, I immediately brought it home and spent a couple of hours putting ProTec Polish/Sealer on it...two coats, as recommended on the bottle. All I've had to do since is wipe it down with either Griot's Garage Speed Wash, or lately, Lucas Slick Mist. I think I like the Lucas product a bit more. Mine still shines like new money, but I do keep it covered with a BCB Aqualon custom cover and also keep in a boat storage facility that has stalls 30 feet deep with tin roof and back, and chain link fencing between stalls and for the double gate. The cover keeps the dust off, and I generally tow with it on as well.

But I'm kinda OCD/Anal about keeping my boat clean. The ProTec protects from UV and seals the gelcoat. Good stuff. There are other good products out there too, but sealing it with a product that blocks UV is the key.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

3. Member
    Sounds like you're going to be at 12-13 weeks?

4. Member
    I think that BCB used to put Aquabuff 2000 on as a polish before leaving the factory. Don't know if that is still what they use. Like Midnight Rider, I also put 2 coats of Pro Tec sealant on my last two Cats when new. It is a very good product, and easy to apply and buff off.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    Use a uv wax or sealer. But the biggest deal is. Keep it covered. Even most covers won’t stop the uv fully. Keep it dry and out of the sun. If it gets wet dry it with a fan in the shade.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Get it ceramic coated and nothing to worry about...and gain a couple mph to boot!

7. Member
    A slick finish actually doesn't gain anything. Can actually hurt. Best finish for pad / rear of boat is #400 sandpaper...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    My dad use to make me sand out the bottom of our drag boat every weekend. Lol cole runner bottom.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

They got it started right at 12 weeks so if I did not volunteer to allow them to show it at the classic I would have had in by 14 weeks. Not bad with the volume of boat orders being taken.

10. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    I’ve put Pro Tec sealant on my last few boats and it seems to make a difference. It’s much easier to clean when dirty
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

Mine’s an ‘08 and hasn’t had a bit of oxidation issues. People who find out she’s almost 10 yrs old still think it looks new. Fish about 48 weekends a year. Stays in the garage when I’m not fishing. BCB uses much better compounds that aren’t so prone to break down. I will say any hull left outside without protection will weather regardless of what you slather on it.

12. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Pro-Tec sealant kept my 07 Cougar FTD looking new. Highly recommend it.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.