adding 1 talon to a 96 181

i have seen some negative reports about adding a talon to these older champion boats will adding a single talon drastically change my boats ride?
    1996 Champion 181 DCX ELITE
    2017 EVINRUDE 150 H.O

2. Member
    Probably make it sit lower in the rear and have some effect on the hole shot. On plane, it won't effect it.

^ This... get a TM with Spot-Lock, not as solid a hold but you don’t have to worry about getting the 8’, 10’, or 12’ model.

4. Member
    the TM would be good for deeper water holding but not shallow
    2017 EVINRUDE 150 H.O

Quote Originally Posted by Kenora Champ181 View Post
    the TM would be good for deeper water holding but not shallow
    There will be no difference in a Spot-Lock TM's ability to hold in deep or shallow water. The depth of water is immaterial. The contributing factors are wind and current almost exclusively.

I think what you meant was comparing the two the Talon will hold better in shallow water as well as quieter but it will be useless in water deeper than the poles can reach, i.e. 11-16 feet of water depending on the model.

Additionally a single talon pole will weathervane in a slight breeze just as a Spot-Lock TM will. But the Talon will almost double your hole shot. My 202, 250 ProXS went from an 8 sec to a 5 sec hole shot after I removed the single talon on my boat.

Also mounting is important, if you decide on a talon, single or double, make sure placement is as close to center line (engine) as possible. Mine was mounted more outboard and in sharp left hand turns would drag causing the boat to slow as well as porpoise.

Given these factors I believe a Spot-Lock TM is the way to go, especially when cnsiderng a single pole. The Gen 2 Minn Kota's will keep you in a 5-10 ft circle. Plus you will catch more and bigger fish!

p.s. combine it with one of these or something similar and you got the best of both worlds.

https://www.catfishedge.com/shallow-water-anchor/

6. Member
    thank you!!! i was even considering one of the little power pole micro anchors!
    but the trolling motor does sound like a good idea!
    2017 EVINRUDE 150 H.O

Glad to help!

8. Member
    It is all in what you want. I had a 95 champion 181 that I put a 8' talon on. It had no effect on my rig as far as making the bow sit higher and the back sit lower. The one thing on those boats is they don't have any rear storage so the extra 45 lbs really isn't anything for it. I did see about a 1 mph drop off in speed. I put my talon on the passenger side of the boat and since I fished by myself it actually made the boat sit more level side to side when I would be idling around. I loved it on my champ. One advantage of a talon or pole over a spot lock tm that hasn't been mentioned is if you are in thick vegetation. If you spotlock in vegetation the tm my run at a slow speed to hold you allowing it to get bogged down.