Mercury Racing 250 Sport XS

From my limited research, the 250 Pro XS and 250 Sport XS are made from the exact parts with the only real exception being Racing Sport XS gets solid motor mounts.
    The Racing Division from my understanding uses the same production parts but may put more detail into the assembly of the engines.

If this is true, I am confused on the difference in warranty available on these 2 motors new from Mercury. The Sport XS only comes with 2 years warranty and you cannot buy the extended 3-5 years that you can purchase with the standard Optimax Pro XS. If they are the same parts, and the Sport is supposedly built to a higher standard, why not a better warranty, or at least equal options?

I am sure someone knows the reason, please share if so. If new Sport XS is a beautiful motor for sure and would look great on the back of a new Allison!
    RETIRED NAVY CWO4 SUBMARINER
    2019 Basscat Eyra

2. Member
    If I'm not mistaken the sport xs has the availability of a sportmaster
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

3. Member
    Max rpm on the Merc Website is listed as the same.

Lower unit could be the reason for the reduced warranty yall suppose?
    I bet Don will jump in and answer everything that may be questioned, but I think the lower unit could be the key.

Quote Originally Posted by kllr bee View Post
    Racing motors are assembled by one person. Computers are different with higher rev limiter.
    2019 Basscat Eyra

4. Member
    If someone is buying the racing motor over the standard you can imagine how they plan on driving it. My guess is that is the reason for the shorter warranty
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linesider 159 View Post
    If someone is buying the racing motor over the standard you can imagine how they plan on driving it. My guess is that is the reason for the shorter warranty
    ding ding ding

6. Member
    250 Sport XS comes with a Sportmaster lower........

7. Member
    PCM (ECU) is the same.

8. Member
    So I wonder if the Sportmaster Gearcase on the Sport 250 XS is prone to failures which may cause Mercury to lessen the warranty on this motor.
    Other than the decals, the solid motor mounts, and the gearcase, the Pro XS and Sport XS seem to be the same motor to me.
    2019 Basscat Eyra

9. Member
    RACING is the main reason less warrn built for hi perf application [lucky theres a warranty at all] 3 years prod protection is available for the 250/300xs , anyone ever seen warrn on 300 drag powerhead [hint none] RACING
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    I see a pro xs and a sport xs. Don't see or have ever heard of a pro sport xs.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    I see a pro xs and a sport xs. Don't see or have ever heard of a pro sport xs.
    You are correct.

So there is no performance difference between the Sport XS and the Pro XS...?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    Other than the Lower Units and motor mounts......both motors are identical.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassgod View Post
    From my limited research, the 250 Pro XS and 250 Sport XS are made from the exact parts with the only real exception being Racing Sport XS gets solid motor mounts.
    The Racing Division from my understanding uses the same production parts but may put more detail into the assembly of the engines.

If this is true, I am confused on the difference in warranty available on these 2 motors new from Mercury. The Sport XS only comes with 2 years warranty and you cannot buy the extended 3-5 years that you can purchase with the standard Optimax Pro XS. If they are the same parts, and the Sport is supposedly built to a higher standard, why not a better warranty, or at least equal options?

I am sure someone knows the reason, please share if so. If new Sport XS is a beautiful motor for sure and would look great on the back of a new Allison!
    NUMEROUS errant items cleaned up. If your response was deleted- it's errant.

There is no "Pro Sport XS". Never has been.

There is a PROXS... that is a Standard Production Engine.

There is a SPORT XS. This is the SAME POWERHEAD as the above engine, different decals, adapter plate in SOME cases, and a Sportmaster Gearcase. This is a RACING DIVISION engine, and comes with a shorter RACING Warranty.

Reason for the shorter warranty period: Intended usage.

And yes, the Racing Division DOES still exist. Most of their time is R&D, and engines sold EXCLUSIVELY to Sanctioned Race Teams (Outboard side, anyway).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Thanks Don, I figured as much.
    I have no idea who came up with the Pro Sport XS, wasn't me!

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    NUMEROUS errant items cleaned up. If your response was deleted- it's errant.

There is no "Pro Sport XS". Never has been.

There is a PROXS... that is a Standard Production Engine.

There is a SPORT XS. This is the SAME POWERHEAD as the above engine, different decals, adapter plate in SOME cases, and a Sportmaster Gearcase. This is a RACING DIVISION engine, and comes with a shorter RACING Warranty.

Reason for the shorter warranty period: Intended usage.

And yes, the Racing Division DOES still exist. Most of their time is R&D, and engines sold EXCLUSIVELY to Sanctioned Race Teams (Outboard side, anyway).
    2019 Basscat Eyra

16. Member
    Yeah thanks Don!

17. Banned
    Yeah since 06 I believe the XS and the Sport XS just means you get the sporty, same production painted motor tho. NOW, the 03-05 XS motors were unpainted blocks hand built in the racing division, ran on premium gas only, and they make some horsepower. I went with one of these.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassgod View Post
    Thanks Don, I figured as much.
    I have no idea who came up with the Pro Sport XS, wasn't me!
    I inadvertently added the word pro in a post. Wasn't intentional.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T-racer View Post
    Yeah since 06 I believe the XS and the Sport XS just means you get the sporty, same production painted motor tho. NOW, the 03-05 XS motors were unpainted blocks hand built in the racing division, ran on premium gas only, and they make some horsepower. I went with one of these.
    If someone were to want one of these... I still have one here that I could build up.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor