Mercury Optimax Trim Cover cracked Part #811611

Hi All,

So I've experienced a crack on my Trim Cover and I can't find anywhere on the web that this has happened to anyone else. I've included an image (on it's side, sorry) so that anyone can visually see what I'm referring to. The part number that has cracked is 811611. From all that I can tell, this is simply a cover - no mechanical workings inside of this item, it seems to basically be a reservoir for the trim fluid. If you're looking at the engine from the rear it is on the left hand side.

I am wondering if I can just replace this cover (and inspect the o ring that appears to be on the inside and replace if necessary), refill my trim fluid, bleed system appropriately and be on my way? Also, if so, can I do this without removing my entire trim assembly?

I appreciate anyone's guidance if they've dealt with this before.

I ask because I did swing it by the local dealer who told me they would need to replace the entire unit... which seemed a bit excessive.

Thanks in advance all.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If there is no WATER INTRUSION, then yes, you can simply replace the reservoir and o-ring, and go on your way after you've properly topped off the fluid level.

If there is ANY water in the system, it will need to be disassembled and cleaned to remove the contaminated fluid.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor