Fast or xFast for shakey head on spinning rod?

I'm leaning towards a Carbonlite rod for a new shakey head rod. The two I am considering are a 6'8" M - XF .... or a 7' M - F. I know its not a huge difference between those rods... but what is some opinions on fast vs. extra fast on the tips for shakey head? I know these aren't the best rods in the world, but I have a couple of them in 6'9" ML -F that I use for dropshot and ned rig that I have been really happy with. Thanks for any ideas.

Joe
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    For me, that decision would depend upon the typical lure weight and line size. I lean toward fast action rather than extra fast. Typical head weight of 1/8 ounce and line size of 8 pound test. If I didn’t drop below 1/4, I might go extra fast.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Yeah... I should have added that info. 90% of the time I'm using 1/8 oz head with either a finesse worm or trick worm. I like 15lb braid with 6-8 lb fluoro leader.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Banned
    with the braid, I'd go fast. straight flouro go extra fast. That said, I like extra fast so that's what I would use regardless.

5. Member
    Since I'm using braid... would I be better off going down in power to a ML-F?
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 02-12-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Banned
    I dont think so. I use a MF all the time

7. Member
    I'd opt for the 7'mf

8. Member
    Fast action is going to cast for distance a little better, extra fast is going to skip or make short pitches a little better.

With braid, if anything I'd go slower in action versus going down in power. A rod with a slower action keeps fish buttoned up better when using braid.

9. Member
    Thanks everyone for you information.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

10. Member
    I’d agree with a few post above. Depends if you fish braid or not. Braid makes any rod very sensitive. I would say most people fish too fast of a tip with braid.

Fast = braid
    ef=mono or floro

11. Member
    Don't go ML, you still need to drive the hook home and most shakeyheads don't have light wire hooks.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam lancia View Post
    Don't go ML, you still need to drive the hook home and most shakeyheads don't have light wire hooks.
    I agree with this. I use my ml rods for open hook drop shot, hair jigs and Ned rigs

13. Member
    Thanks so much.... going to go with 7' M-F.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Good choice, I prefer the M-F as well for most setups with a shaky head.

15. Member
    I picked up a couple of new Carbonlite 2.0 spinning rods tonight. I am surprised at how small they have changed the guides to. Makes me a little concerned that my alberto knot on my braid/flouro connection will take a beating and/or effect distance. I would have bought last year's model (with a little larger guides) if they would have had what I wanted. Only saw one leftover from last years style. I'll give these new ones a shot soon, or just go cast in the back yard and see what it feels like.

Edit** No problems at all with the smaller guides. Going to be good.
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 02-16-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    I picked up a couple of new Carbonlite 2.0 spinning rods tonight. I am surprised at how small they have changed the guides to. Makes me a little concerned that my alberto knot on my braid/flouro connection will take a beating and/or effect distance. I would have bought last year's model (with a little larger guides) if they would have had what I wanted. Only saw one leftover from last years style. I'll give these new ones a shot soon, or just go cast in the back yard and see what it feels like.

Edit** No problems at all with the smaller guides. Going to be good.
    Drop the 15# braid....and opt for the 10# braid with 6/8 flouro leader. Glad you went with the 7' it gives you more options to use the rod for other techniques. the shorter rods tend to pidgeon hole themselves to dedicated techniques.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.