20 TRX shallow water navigation

Looking for shallow water running tips. Ran a shallow area this weekend probably 8-12” deep approx 40 yards. It is a mud/sand bottom. Hit it at 50mph trimmed up all the way. (Manual jack plate). Skeg did dig in some but made it across. I cannot troll thru boat gets on bottom. I was told u could shut off engine while on plane and trim up and glide across. Never heard of this before sounds like a good way to lose control. What u guys say? Would getting my speed up to 65 or so make it run much shallower? Thank you and happy fishing

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

3. Member
    You serious Clark?

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a 20 trx. I just couldn't do it.

5. Member
    Yea not sure I would do it again kinda one of them deals where you have run it in the past but each year river type reservoirs change. Ran it and the only way back was to run it again.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Warcat View Post
    Yea not sure I would do it again kinda one of them deals where you have run it in the past but each year river type reservoirs change. Ran it and the only way back was to run it again.
    I understand having to get back through the shallow spot. That's just an unfortunate situation to be in.

When you shut off your engine you lose the power that is pushing you forward and your boat immediately wants to "sit down". Whoever told you about "gliding" across must be trying to set you up.

I have to navigate skinny water on a regular basis and on river systems (not reservoirs) that are in constant state of change. If it's so skinny that I can't idle through it to scout it prior to a tournament, then I have to get out and walk it. 40 yards is not too bad, but it is a good stretch. I'd recommend walking it out prior to a tournament to scout the area out and make sure there are no logs that have washed in. If it's clear....I'd wind that Triton up to about 70 GPS and hold on. Down here if your skeg isn't sandblasted clean, you must not be fishing too hard. Although, we are tidal influenced down here in South Mississippi and South Alabama. If you only have 12" of water, you better make sure it's dead low tide...if it's high tide...you won't be getting out for another 12 hours.

8. Member
    Thanks for your thoughts marshall256 sounds like you have a lot of experience in running thin water. I am fishing a reservoir that is drawn to winter pool. And yea I did look at it just a mud/sand bottom. I can’t idle or troll it boat gets on bottom. My skeg did touch at 50 mph just wondering if 70 mph would gain me an inch or two. Yea I really wasn’t buying into the glide method of getting across I was told to do that so my motor would not hit.

You definitely have less boat and motor in the water at 70 vs 50. I like at least a foot of water, and you need to know there’s no hidden logs or rocks. Disclaimer...you run across this skinny of water then you are willing to accept the risk of damage. There better be a gold mine in the other side to justify the risk.

Another option... if it’s legal in your tournament...I’ve found I can cross about a 14-16” by getting out of my boat and pulling it across with motor trimmed out of the water. Some tournaments don’t allow exiting the boat though.

Also, lesson learned and this is hard to explain in words. Marking a trail when you run in is good. But keep this in mind...most of us have GPS and GPS pucks on the starboard side. When you mark your trail...your motor/prop is always slightly to port of your trail line. So running in your prop will be on one side of your trail line and running out your prop is on the opposite side of your trail line. So, I always run to the right of my trail I made going in just enough that I feel my prop is following the same line it did running in. Also , I run my GPS in course up mode vs North up. Confusing...I know.

11. Member
    Not confusing nice explanation I really believe in what u have to say. My problem when marking trails I can’t stay right on them once I’m up on plane. Yea I agree with at least 12” of water. Thanks for taking time to share your experiences

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warcat View Post
    Looking for shallow water running tips. Ran a shallow area this weekend probably 8-12” deep approx 40 yards. It is a mud/sand bottom. Hit it at 50mph trimmed up all the way. (Manual jack plate). Skeg did dig in some but made it across. I cannot troll thru boat gets on bottom. I was told u could shut off engine while on plane and trim up and glide across. Never heard of this before sounds like a good way to lose control. What u guys say? Would getting my speed up to 65 or so make it run much shallower? Thank you and happy fishing
    Mud maybe, sand no. Remember you'll have to shut the engine off and trim up the motor BEFORE you start your 40 yrd dash, so it will be more like a 50yrd slide, while putting more and more hull deeper and deeper. What's plan B when you don't make it?

13. Member
    I did run it and make it just lookin for tips if I’m in that same situation again that’s all. Thanks