Thread: Hogs and dogs

Hogs and dogs

Got pulled for a quota hunt and Went to Tosahatchee for the hog hunt. Here are a few we got.

Looks like a blast

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

So what do you do after you tie them up?
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Yes sir its a blast.
    Mrlawler it all depends, on this place in the rules if you take it you have to kill it so usually will use a big knife and stabbed in the heart. These ones were all too small for what we wanted and the closest one to the truck when we caught it was about 6 miles so we didn't want to drag it out. So in that case we Mark or tag the Hogs so if we get drawn again or one of our friends and they catch it the next year they know it's already been caught. The main reason you see these Hogs tide is because we have a lot of dogs and we have to tie the dogs up get them on leashes and let most of the guys walk with the dogs away Wall one lucky guy gets to stay there untie that pig and get away as fast as he can or get a tree LOL

Now places we have permission to hunt a lot of times when we catch him will take him back to a big hog pin and grain feed them with corn clean out their system get all the nastiness out and sell them for butcher for smoking etc.

I like the second option better... Especially if you're gonna literally gonna hog tie it up...

Jonathan Hillstrand

Sorry Mrlawler, not sure what to make of your statement if its sarcastic or funny or what?

But if you are saying the second option of catching then putting in a pin and corn or grain feeding to butcher or cook later, then yes I agree I prefer that way to. We usually try to hog hunt always like that and we have nuisance permits and we are nuisance Hunters, we are licensed to transport live Hogs which a lot of people aren't.

No if you're gonna terrorize the animal I would prefer you take it out quickly.. But if you want to take it home and clean it out the dispatch cleanly that's at least a little different. That's just me..I have no issues with folks making money or how you want to spend yours.. just not something I would do.. But it's much better than blowing them up..

Jonathan Hillstrand

Okay I guess like they always say Different Strokes for different folks. We consider it a sport, sometimes catch and release just like bass fishing for offshore fishing. And there's definitely really no money that we make we just try to recover our money for gas and corn doing something we love.

Looks like lots of fun. We used to do some hog hunting with dogs in Southern Arkansas. If the hog was a small male we'd cut him and turn him loose. Kill any big boars.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Looks like lots of fun. We used to do some hog hunting with dogs in Southern Arkansas. If the hog was a small male we'd cut him and turn him loose. Kill any big boars.
    Thats exaclt what we do, but I wasnt going into that here

Quote Originally Posted by lil red 02 View Post
    Thats exaclt what we do, but I wasnt going into that here
    Catch that same hog again several months later and you talk about good eating!

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Catch that same hog again several months later and you talk about good eating!
    and I love when they quit worrying about breeding and get big and good cutters

13. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Great sport.

Literally, the only thing a pit bull is good for.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Yes sir, we love it. We use Black mouth curs and some breeds we have crossed to make good dogs. We dont use pits anymore.

And we can kindly disagree about pits for pets

15. Banned
    According to what i have read the last few years the wild hogs have gotten to be a big problem in many areas in this country and still growing. I know they hunt them here in NC in some counties. The yotes have exploded here also. Looks like you guys had some fun hunting them. Wished i was able to do it.