New to rod building got a few questions

Ok so I decided to start building a few rods and I’m bout to purchase a turnkey rod building set from mud hole. The main reason I’m getting into this is to be able to replace my own guides/tips. The main question I have is I was going to order some tips and guides to replace on some of my rods but seen they make different diameter sized tips. Will they all work or do different rods need different sized tips and how do you tell?

http://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-Tip-Top-Ferrule-Gauge
    Get yourself one of these while you are ordering supplies, it will really help, or if you have a micrometer or set of calipers you can measure the rings or blanks

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    http://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-Tip-Top-Ferrule-Gauge
    Get yourself one of these while you are ordering supplies, it will really help, or if you have a micrometer or set of calipers you can measure the rings or blanks
    Thanks a lot that will help any other supplies you think I’ll need? I’m ordering the John Cox rod turnkey set

From what i can see on the pic of that kit there should be enough stuff to get thr job done just fine, take your time, and let us know if you have questions. Not to be a buzzkill but mudhole is known to run sales around major holidays and their kits are usually on the discount list unless you are in a hurry you could save some coin if you wait, also they usually have a sale during/ after icrbe which is in a few weeks.

5. Member
    Yes, different rods need different sized tips (tip tops) The tube sizes for tip tops are given in 64ths of an inch. Guide sizes are given in millimeters. The size of a guide is determined by the OD of the ceramic ring insert, or the ID of the guide frame where the ring is mounted.

Butt diameters are usually given in 1/1000ths of an inch, but some manufacturers also list them in millimeters. Reel seats are most often given in millimeters, but thousandths of an inch measurements are also given.

I would definitely suggest getting a set of digital calipers. The ones I have, have a mode for fractions of an inch, thousandths of an inch, and millimeters. Being able to switch modes comes in very handy when ordering casting reel seats where you order certain types of seats based on the diameter of the blank (in millimeters). Calipers also come in handy when measuring for winding checks, or if you are turning cork or EVA, or foam cores for carbon fiber grips, where you need to match the diameter of the grip to a reel seat, or trim ring, etc ...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    Yes, different rods need different sized tips (tip tops) The tube sizes for tip tops are given in 64ths of an inch. Guide sizes are given in millimeters. The size of a guide is determined by the OD of the ceramic ring insert, or the ID of the guide frame where the ring is mounted.

Butt diameters are usually given in 1/1000ths of an inch, but some manufacturers also list them in millimeters. Reel seats are most often given in millimeters, but thousandths of an inch measurements are also given.

I would definitely suggest getting a set of digital calipers. The ones I have, have a mode for fractions of an inch, thousandths of an inch, and millimeters. Being able to switch modes comes in very handy when ordering casting reel seats where you order certain types of seats based on the diameter of the blank (in millimeters). Calipers also come in handy when measuring for winding checks, or if you are turning cork or EVA, or foam cores for carbon fiber grips, where you need to match the diameter of the grip to a reel seat, or trim ring, etc ...
    Thanks Bassbme, I was also wondering about the measurements when I start to build my first rod.