Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question Calibrating Compass for Panoptix....

When i first installed it was on my MG on the shaft....got out on the water and calibrated the compass no issue.....well i swapped TM, put it on the new Ultrex (down on the foot), got out on the water today and tried about 4 times on the water and a few times in the parking lot with boat on trailer.....all tries failed.....any insight into why it worked the first time and not this time???? Should i reset Panoptix to factory and try again??

Correct if im wrong but all the compass is for is the boat icon in the upper right hand corner to show you which way its pointing BUT i do not have to have it displayed to function????

What is the "magnetic environment".

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    Well...first the easy part. Yes, the compass and boat icon is just to show you which way it is pointing. Doesn't affect performance.

Now on the calibration, you may have me stumped. You did it right once - on the water. The trolling motor has to be deployed. The PS22 should be oriented as LiveVu Forward on the trolling motor. You can't do that in the parking lot.

The magnetic environment should be picking up if you are getting interference from the TM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I thought you spin the TM 1.5 times. But you actually have to turn the BOAT 1.5 times. Cant do in parking lot unless you spun trailer LOL

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Well...first the easy part. Yes, the compass and boat icon is just to show you which way it is pointing. Doesn't affect performance.

Now on the calibration, you may have me stumped. You did it right once - on the water. The trolling motor has to be deployed. The PS22 should be oriented as LiveVu Forward on the trolling motor. You can't do that in the parking lot.

The magnetic environment should be picking up if you are getting interference from the TM.
    LW.......yes, it was on LiveVu forward screen and active....i think that is the only way to get to the calibrate screen is thru Panoptix menu.......Another question, should i be making the circle with TM or big motor?? I did it with the big motor every time.....i think it say for the TM to be off...

As for the parking lot deal, i turned unit on, got the calibration screen (as above), deployed TM and drove the truck in a circle in parking lot....figured i'd give it a try to see what it would do which turned out to be the same on the water.

If anyone seen me going in circles they probably wondered what the hell was going on.....

5. Member
    I prefer the big motor because then there's more consistency with the turning. My TM uses a foot pedal and I just fouled it where it couldn't turn and used the big motor. I think you are wasting your time though because I went back and looked at the pic you posted of the install. You have the ps22 right on the torpedo. Guaranteed that you will get magnetic interference while the TM is on, but who knows. It may be survivable. I'd certainly try the turning with the TM and see if it works. If it don't, it's the interference. That's really the only variable if you have it positioned like a PS21. If it won't calibrate, then use the big motor. It may still work while the TM is off.

Join the club. Blessed are those who go around in circles, for they will be called Big Wheels. When I was playing with the Steadycast I had my doubts about it calibrating regardless of its mounting orientation. Left, Right, Up, Down, whatever. So I tried them all with several boats around. And it worked, every time. Had some shaking their heads though.

Redoing my setup today. With all this rain the lake came up 7 ft. Switching from walleye to crappie. Prespawn schools in open water with PS22 on LiveVu Forward.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Banned
    If I remember right the instructions said you cant calibrate it mounted on the foot.

Its right here. http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Panop...Install_EN.pdf
    Last edited by rocket man; 02-12-2018 at 09:10 AM.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    ^^^^ Rocket man, you are correct!!!! I never noticed that statement......... shouldnt be a big deal, i can temporarily move it to the shaft and calibrate....may even do it in the parking lot again....

LW, well looks like the mystery has been solved.....

I'll say this, on the MG tm, the head stays still while the shaft turns not aware where the TR 22 is pointing, that's where the compass comes in handy.....with the Ultrex, the whole head turns in the direction you are going/pointed, so one might not need the compass, but if your like me, i want everything working whether i use it or not.

I dont bother calibrating. Where the tm arrow is pointing works fine.

9. Member
    I couldn’t calibrate mine till I got it off my trolling motor