Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Understanding Side scan WP placement

In the screen shot, We ran over something that I wanted to mark. I thought they might be fish, but we didn't catch so I can't confirm.

Since we split the objects between left and right, that should mean we ran almost directly over them. I do see that they are probably more to the left of mid since the return is stronger on that side. I placed WP 355, 356 and 357 in a line to mark it.

Out of curiosity for this question session, I marked 359 and 358 on the fish, left and right of center.
    Then out to the side I marked a stump/log (360).

1. Am I marking it wrong with 357, 358, and 359?
    2. If you look at the map in the top right, you see that 359 and 358 (blue line) are out to the side in either direction. If the fish are relatively close to being directly below, surely they aren't out 20' (as this is the depth) in either direction. What is going on here, I would expect that 359 and 358 be directly under the boat, or fairly close to it?
    3. Is WP 360 actually 40 foot from 359 (green line) and 60' from the transducer?

I may be over thinking it. Maybe I should be accepting that the software is capable of doing the math and marking what I see accurately, but it throws me off with how 358/359 is shown to either side of 356 in the map. I just want to trust the WP placement and then be able to hit it.

Last edited by Jethreaux; 02-12-2018 at 09:25 PM.