Smartcraft problem

I have a Smartcraft 1000 and 4 100 gauges. My issue is the 1000 gauge works but all 4 of my 100 gauges are inoperable. They have been working intermittently and worked for a few minutes yesterday then quit again. I have pulled and checked the lead from the main gauge and it is tight. I did spray a very little electrical cleaner in the connection from the lead but nothing has worked. Is there a way to see if I am getting power from the lead connection to the other gauges? I have a voltmeter but not sure how to check for power. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Check every electrical connection.

3. Member
    I don't know what the gauges are but I am having the same problem with a basscat with beede gauges. Before o go into alot of blah blah if this kind of sounds like the same issue let me know and I can explain what I have found.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

4. Member
    I talked to my local Mercury dealer today and he told me to
    check the purple wire from the ground or off the key switch. Evidently the small gauges, SC100, are powered by a different source than the main gauge, the SC1000. The small gauges power up from the key switch while the large gauge is powered up from the
    motor when the switch is turned on. I did not get a chance to check it yet but will this week.

Does se this sound similar to what you experienced?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PF22 View Post
    I talked to my local Mercury dealer today and he told me to
    check the purple wire from the ground or off the key switch. Evidently the small gauges, SC100, are powered by a different source than the main gauge, the SC1000. The small gauges power up from the key switch while the large gauge is powered up from the
    motor when the switch is turned on. I did not get a chance to check it yet but will this week.

Does se this sound similar to what you experienced?
    Very possibly. The only other thing is the problem I believe to be the issue with mine is the link harness. I think a bad gauge is not sending out to to the rest in line.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Very possibly. The only other thing is the problem I believe to be the issue with mine is the link harness. I think a bad gauge is not sending out to to the rest in line.
    I was told to unplug the main systems lead and try plugging it into different gauges to see if it is a specific gauge that is bad. Not sure how much space in your console to do this though. Mine is a a flats boat and I need a trained monkey to work inside the console.

This sounds plausible. The "daisy chain" gauges come directly from the "master" SmartCraft gauge so the first gauge that is daisy chained may have an issue. Hopefully you have enough length to try another gauge. As far as the purple wire, I don't see that. If your SC1000 is working correctly, it is supplying all the power and data needed to run the SC100 gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by PF22 View Post
    I was told to unplug the main systems lead and try plugging it into different gauges to see if it is a specific gauge that is bad. Not sure how much space in your console to do this though. Mine is a a flats boat and I need a trained monkey to work inside the console.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    This sounds plausible. The "daisy chain" gauges come directly from the "master" SmartCraft gauge so the first gauge that is daisy chained may have an issue. Hopefully you have enough length to try another gauge. As far as the purple wire, I don't see that. If your SC1000 is working correctly, it is supplying all the power and data needed to run the SC100 gauges.
    I think the same thing but am going to crawl into the console this weekend to see if the wire is loose.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Do NOT probe around in the 3-wire connectors for System Links. Very easy to damage sensitive instruments (or worse).

A couple of simple pictures of your instruments (front and back of dash) will help immensely.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Do NOT probe around in the 3-wire connectors for System Links. Very easy to damage sensitive instruments (or worse).

A couple of simple pictures of your instruments (front and back of dash) will help immensely.
    Thanks Don, I was able to get under the console and check all the connections and lightly sprayed the key connector and the systems lead with electrical cleaner and about an hour later the gauges started working. I am sure it is not a permanent fix but will ride with this until the problem occurs again. Also thanks for the reminder on the required info. I was not sure if I needed it since it was electrical but will make sure I get it posted next time.