Rod Pocket to Replace Champion Access Cover

I am a swimbait fisherman along with traditional, all of my SB rods range from 8'-8'6". Much to my excitement they fit like a glove in the lockers. Up top the tips tend to hang over into the passenger footwell (single console). Has anyone even made a new plate with a few tubes to hold the rods and let them sit back further? I have also considered moving the front switch panel and doing the same there for some room to store rods on the right side.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    What boat? By "up top" do you mean on deck? If so I am not sure what you mean by new plate/tubes. Also "moving the front switch panel"?? Are you referring to the bow switches for lights, trim, etc? Can't see how you would move that????????

I apologize if I have missed the boat entirely, but am a tad confused.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    What boat? By "up top" do you mean on deck? If so I am not sure what you mean by new plate/tubes. Also "moving the front switch panel"?? Are you referring to the bow switches for lights, trim, etc? Can't see how you would move that????????

I apologize if I have missed the boat entirely, but am a tad confused.
    Sorry, that was super vague. I have a 1991 168 and it has a roughly 4x8 access panel on the left side of the bow, it simply engraved. On the right side I have the larger switch panel the other switch I used is the trim. I am not so concerned about the right side, but, I want to remove the access panel and add a few tubes to guide the rods.

4. Member
    To make a bit more sense. The only switch I use on the front panel is the trim and occasionally the nav lights. I could easily move these and design a nice screw in pocket with a few tubes to slide rod buts into. That would let me store 7' rods on the starboard side by having them slide into the tubes. I just dont like angling rods incase they get stepped on.

More realistically, I would like to remove the Champion panel over (no switches) from the port side and do the same so I can slide my four 8'+ rods up enough to keep them on the deck but not hangover the top of the rod locker. I will make something in cardboard to test and post photos.

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    OK, now I think I understand. Might work just fine. Pretty sure our gang can give their advice, if they think it is needed...

In keeping with our gang's opinions, my thoughts would be to have the rod butts back beside or behind the passenger seat along the gunwale....and have the up-front tubes for the rod tips. JMHO. Let us know...and pictures would be great!!