RANGER TRAILER QUESTION

SO.. ive tried calling ranger 3 times and left three msgs and no one has called me back trying to get some info about my trailer hard to explain but... this is what i have ranger z118 2011 single axle trailer and if you look at the tires they look kicked out some and wear heavily on the inside blew two tires last year didn't notice the tires looking kicked out and wearing heavily on the inside took to tire shop put new tires on and they told me axle and everything looks good... no way the trailer is designed for tires to not be perfectly flat/level is there???

2. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

4. Member
    i had this problem on a tournament ski boat single axle trailer once with all the symptoms youre having.

(trailershop said mine was fine too)_
    finally put on a heavier axle (5200 I think) which unfortunately changed it to 6 lug wheels and the problem was gone

5. Member
    You need a new axle. I had a 518c with a sa trailer that looked the same way new. Took it to the dealer after it ate a set of tires and ranger told them to take measurements. According to ranger the measurements were correct and blamed it on the tires. Was given new tires and it ate them in a month. They replaced the axle and I was good to go. If you'll do some searching you'll find that ranger's axles aren't that great.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    To put it into words, you have negative camber. Can come from an axle being overloaded and bent which is the most likely case for it to be both sides. Is it the original axle?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    as far as i know its original

8. Member
    so i need to look into an new axle?

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrt View Post
    so i need to look into an new axle?
    That would be my guess.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    I had that issue on my port side wheel last year, single axle RangerTrail with 188VS. The tires were new but the inside of that one was gone. Got rid of the Tie Down Engineering junk and had it replaced with UFP equipment. Luckily I only live about 45 minutes from the factory. When the boat was off the trailer the wheel looked perfectly aligned. Make sure you always load until the bow hook meets the roller and make sure you're tongue height is as level as you can, might have to get a lower receiver hitch.

11. Member
    By looking at axle it looks perfectly fine... but idno

Jack it up and check for bearing slop. Also make sure the big 15/16 spindle arm bolt is tight
    Last edited by 1BADAIR; 02-14-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Just it up and check for bearing slop. Also make sure the big 15/16 spindle arm bolt is tight
    wait is this a torsion axle trailer?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTex View Post
    wait is this a torsion axle trailer?
    yes

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrt View Post
    yes
    well then I'm no help. my comment was regardng a single axle trailer with leaf springs

16. Member

17. Member
    Just had a friend with same issues.Same boat and trailer.I am thinking maybe it was a 2013 model.Ranger dealer installed a new axle.
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

18. Member
    mine was not the axle it was some nut that tightens down the bearings.... i didnt fix it i took it to three different mechanics and only one of them could figure it out...im gonna butcher this but this is what he told me there's a clip/ cotter pin that he had to take off to tighten this nut that goes over the bearings thingy and it was loose as a goose the tire was only tight with no wobble in tire because of the brakes or something like i said im gonna butcher this but hopefully this will help someone trying to fix what they think is an bent axle

19. Member
    I've seen a lot of torsion axles that describe large changes in camber when they ride. I think the axle stubs are mounted in rubber which can creep away from the stub and it can lose its alignment. I think many torsion axles are misaligned from the manufacturer. I have one and I think they are crap in a single axle bass boat use.