Thread: Flipping reel

Flipping reel

Huge Shimano fan and love the Core series but with it discontinued and the Core MGFV very hard to find on Ebay or anywhere else what are you guys using for a flip reel? I need something for an NRX 795 to punch heavy grass mats on the California Delta. I have also found that the Core MGFV makes a great vertical dropshot reel when you want to video game suspended spotted bass. The only thing I can find new that has a flip feature is the Quantum Tour MG. Having no experience with them I have reservations and the Tackle Tour review on it was mediocre.

Open to suggestions unless someone out there wants to sell their Core MGFV (right hand retrieve, please).

2. Member
    From Shimano: Chronarch MGL, Antares HG, Bantam MGL HG, Curado K HG

3. Member
    Rarely do any actual flipping in the highland reservoirs I currently fish but I still use an original Shimano Castaic that's super tuned and upgraded bearings as my flipping reel.

4. Member
    What Ben said x10 ..... greatest flipping and pitching reel ever made.

CoreMGFV just listed in reels for sale section.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

6. Member
    I use still use the Core MGFV and the Castaic but most of the newer reels from Shimano can be engaged by pushing up on the thumb bar with your thumb. It's just a matter of getting used to putting your thumb under the thumb bar. You don't have to turn the handle.

7. Banned
    The new Lews Super Duty LFS in the 8 speed has a flipping switch.

8. Banned
    All my casting reels have a flip feature, you just flip the trigger back up, works great. I have bps, aldebaran and the newest lews mag super duty.

9. Member
    I have 4 of the Lews Super Dutys in 8:1 and love them. I've pulled lot of large bass out of some really nasty grass/mats and never had an issue. 100% confident in this real. I wish they were as light as the BB1 pros but I guess that's the deal if you want heavy duty components.

10. Member
    Chronarch MGL or a Core. Do not punch with a Metanium.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DChiWildcats View Post
    Chronarch MGL or a Core. Do not punch with a Metanium.
    I wouldn't punch with any of these. Chronarch is composite, and Cores usually have aluminum gears. Unless you are actually using the MGFV which has brass gears.

12. Member
    All Cores have brass gears and while the Chronarch is made out of Ci4, it too has brass gears and is the punching reel of choice for the top punchers on the CA Delta.

All Cores have brass gears and while the Chronarch is made out of Ci4, it too has brass gears and is the punching reel of choice for the top punchers on the CA Delta.
    No Sir, only the 7 gear ratio Cores have brass gears. However I do agree that people make too big a deal about it, I flip with a Chronarch MGL and although it is a composite frame it has no issues handling the job. Now if you where trying to flip with an Aldeberan I might be inclinded to say it could be an issue. But more than likely not.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

14. Banned
    Not all Cores, just the 7 gear ratios in the 100 series do.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    I use still use the Core MGFV and the Castaic but most of the newer reels from Shimano can be engaged by pushing up on the thumb bar with your thumb. It's just a matter of getting used to putting your thumb under the thumb bar. You don't have to turn the handle.
    I had read someone post about being able to engage the thumb bar on the newer Shimanos like you mentioned. I didn't try it when I read it, but I just did with one of my Curado 200 I's ..... and I'll be danged .. it works !!! lol I'm curious how you guys found out about that? I've read all the literature from Shimano on the Curados, and no mention of being able to do that.

It seems like it will be easy to get used to doing. So maybe the Castaic isn't the greatest reel for flipping and pitching ever made, anymore. I still love them though. And now I won't have to scour E Bay for them anymore. I can see a new Curado 200 HG K in my future. The color of the reel will look sweet with the carbon fiber rear grip I put on a new flipping/pitching rod I'm building.

Nice !!!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    I had read someone post about being able to engage the thumb bar on the newer Shimanos like you mentioned. I didn't try it when I read it, but I just did with one of my Curado 200 I's ..... and I'll be danged .. it works !!! lol I'm curious how you guys found out about that? I've read all the literature from Shimano on the Curados, and no mention of being able to do that.

It seems like it will be easy to get used to doing. So maybe the Castaic isn't the greatest reel for flipping and pitching ever made, anymore. I still love them though. And now I won't have to scour E Bay for them anymore. I can see a new Curado 200 HG K in my future. The color of the reel will look sweet with the carbon fiber rear grip I put on a new flipping/pitching rod I'm building.

Nice !!!
    The old Castaic (B series) is still one of the best reels to use for this application.

17. Member
    B model has better ergonomics, for me the newer thumb bars are almost to tall with my shortened thumb.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    The old Castaic (B series) is still one of the best reels to use for this application.
    Oh I wholeheartedly agree ..... I have 5 of them, and absolutely love them. 3 of them are the first generation model, the other two are the second generation SF model. I replaced the spool bearings with ACBE 7 orange seal ceramic bearings on the first generation reels. That made a huge difference in performance. I may do the same with the second generation SF models, but they work awesome as they are.