Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SHO 250 and Lithium Pro Cranking Battery

Thinking about switching batteries out of my new Phoenix 20PHX to Lithium to run electronic better, and save a ton of weight. Dealership I bought boat from seemed to indicate that lithium cranking battery might be problematic for the Yamaha SHO. Has anyone got any insight into this matter. Plan on installing M3110 for cranking and two M3130 for trolling..

Jim

2. Banned
    I know you didnt ask but you might want to consider relion, by using 3 tm batteries if one fails you can add a parts store one in and keep on fishing.

Im afraid of lithium pro because of that and time frame to get repaired replaced etc. I know if a lith pro fails on me Ill end up buying 3 std to keep fishing.

3. Member
    Thanks for thought on that..I looked at the relions, but not saving near as much weight if I go that route. The reason for going with two M3130s on trolling motor is for the reason you mention above.

I have 4 Battle Born batteries for a year.. 3 for 36 volts Ultrax TM and 1 for my Yamaha HPDI 250, 2 -Helix Mega 12 Gen 2, 1 HB 1198 SI,2- 1000 livewell Pumps,and 2 -1000 bilge pump. After 10 or more hours still going strong and they charge back up quickly. I have nothing to do with Battle Born Batteries but they delivered my batteries in less than a week. They check to make sure their amps and voltage was real close to one another to balance out.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

5. Banned
    I dont think battle born has a cranking battery for SHO unless something was developed just recently. I have their three 100ah TM batteries that have performed flawlessly for the last two months.

6. Member
    I don't think they have come out with their starting battery yet.

Lithium Pros ...I've run their cranking battery with the Pro XS, SHO, Honda, and G2 with no issues...

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    If you want to know call the plant, their in Knoxville TN. Get the answer from them.

I have ran one for years with a Honda BF250.

Just make sure and get the 110 aH, if you have lots of toys!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Lithium Pros ...I've run their cranking battery with the Pro XS, SHO, Honda, and G2 with no issues...
    This

Quote Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
    Thinking about switching batteries out of my new Phoenix 20PHX to Lithium to run electronic better, and save a ton of weight. Dealership I bought boat from seemed to indicate that lithium cranking battery might be problematic for the Yamaha SHO. Has anyone got any insight into this matter. Plan on installing M3110 for cranking and two M3130 for trolling..

Jim
    The SHO will shutdown once the voltage level gets above 14.6 VDC. I had a Lithium for cranking and had to remove it.
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

11. Member
    Richard,

Which Lithium did you have if you don't mind my asking? Did the battery manufacturer or Yamaha address the issue? Was the battery suppose to charge as high as 14.6 on a 12-volt system, and are you sure it wasn't a charger problem?

Thanks

Richard,

Which Lithium did you have if you don't mind my asking? Did the battery manufacturer or Yamaha address the issue? Was the battery suppose to charge as high as 14.6 on a 12-volt system, and are you sure it wasn't a charger problem?

Thanks
    The battery was a Relion the battery charger is good to go Relion had Dual pro upgrade it to work with the Lithium batteries. The motor is a SHO 225 and yamaha knows about it and are not going to fix the problem. I had to put my old AGM back in so I could run over the 5K in RPM's. Not sure what Relion can do about the over voltage.
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)

13. Member
    Thanks for info!'

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheeterhdip225 View Post
    The battery was a Relion the battery charger is good to go Relion had Dual pro upgrade it to work with the Lithium batteries. The motor is a SHO 225 and yamaha knows about it and are not going to fix the problem. I had to put my old AGM back in so I could run over the 5K in RPM's. Not sure what Relion can do about the over voltage.
    Wasnt your problem related to a jumper cable in the motor? Or did that not permanently fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    Wasnt your problem related to a jumper cable in the motor? Or did that not permanently fix it?
    I think your talking about the jumper for the YDS connection. If so that had nothing to do with the shoutdown.
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired

16. Member
    I'll report back on this Prost in a couple of weeks. Got Lithium Pros on the way...

17. Member
    I'll report back on this Prost in a couple of weeks. Got Lithium Pros on the way...
    What charging system will you have? I think a voltage regulator could solve all the issues and I think the stealth system could "work" as the regulator. If I'm thinking right that is. The stealth will direct voltage to the needed batteries once a certain voltage is hit. That should jeep the voltage lower than it going to the same battery the whole time. Not really a regulator but it would act as one. The other possibility would be an actual voltage regulator but I'm not sure how that would work. My deal with the stealth type chargers are how they work with the new electric trolling motors. If something went wrong on the charging process while running between spots I think it might be able to fry the electronics of these newer motors. Maybe I'm just not familiar with them but from what I've read it seems it would be possible

18. Member
    Falconpilot,

any updates. I have a 250 SHO and just bought lithium pros

I put a Relion RB 100 HP in yesterday and having to remove it due to shut downs..
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    What charging system will you have? I think a voltage regulator could solve all the issues and I think the stealth system could "work" as the regulator. If I'm thinking right that is. The stealth will direct voltage to the needed batteries once a certain voltage is hit. That should jeep the voltage lower than it going to the same battery the whole time. Not really a regulator but it would act as one. The other possibility would be an actual voltage regulator but I'm not sure how that would work. My deal with the stealth type chargers are how they work with the new electric trolling motors. If something went wrong on the charging process while running between spots I think it might be able to fry the electronics of these newer motors. Maybe I'm just not familiar with them but from what I've read it seems it would be possible
    Relion rep advised against using the Stealrh System.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast