Which started Kit ?

Been looking at the different stater type kits from Mudhole and Get Bit,
    Some have reamers, hand wrappers , dryers, adj stands, etc ?
    I want what I need without going over board on equipment $$, there are so many different levels of equipment I'm not sure what is needed just for my personal use rods.
    I would think reamers would be needed even thought some kits don't have them in the starter kits.
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha

2. Member
    Roger, this is a difficult question to answer. I would suggest for right now, you get on you tube and research every possible video out there. What you need will be covered. If you are handy you can build most all you need for a few dollars and everything just goes up from there. Figure out what your budget is for equipment and tools then add in supplies such as thread, finish, glue, and misc. Once you have what your willing to spend, start your purchases and stick to your budget. There are some really good builders and hobby builders out there ranging from using stuff purchased or made for a few dollars to others who have thousands tied up in equipment, you just have to find your financial comfort zone and go from there.

3. Member

4. Member
    I guess I'm like most guys, I don't mind to spend a reasonable amount just didn't want to buy stuff you don't need or use,and thanks for the above address DOC.
    Been watching some videos and starting to get a feel.
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha

5. Member
    Built my own rod wrapper from plans I found on-line for $15. Use a table-top party disco ball electric motor to turn the rod while epoxy sets, $10. Made my own reamers from broken rods with thin strips of sandpaper spiral glued to them, $5. The rest of what you need will be used up in the building process and replaced as needed. Since I only wrap for myself and an occasional friend I chose to keep my costs low.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADVAN View Post
    Built my own rod wrapper from plans I found on-line for $15. Use a table-top party disco ball electric motor to turn the rod while epoxy sets, $10. Made my own reamers from broken rods with thin strips of sandpaper spiral glued to them, $5. The rest of what you need will be used up in the building process and replaced as needed. Since I only wrap for myself and an occasional friend I chose to keep my costs low.
    Excellent post showing one way to get er done!!

7. Member
    I used these instructions to build my own wrapping station. I used a plain old white pine 1x4 for the entire project. The 1x4, screws, bolts, nuts, washers, wood glue, etc. totaled $13 and change. http://www.steelheader.net/Rodbuildi...wn_rod_jig.htm. I realize that one can buy a very nice wrapping station pre-made much easier but building my own station is kind of like building my own rods; it's fun and rewarding.

If you're going on the cheap you can make a rod turner out of something like this http://www.partycity.com/product/min...h&navSet=disco light&bypass_redirect=1. Remove the disco ball and you basically have a cheap rod turner.

8. Member
    Roger,
    I just got into it two weeks ago. I ended up buying a Turnkey kit from Mudhole. Everything you need to start building and complete a rod.
    From there you can gain the experience to see if you like it and want to continue building.
    So far, I like all the components to get started. I picked up the MHX 7' Turnkey kit. You can choose the color of blank, type of handles whether cork or EVA, split or full.
    Comes with a pretty decent wrapping station and dryer.
    Check it out and watch a lot of videos. Get Bit outdoors has a good video series where you can learn a little more than the Mudhole videos.
    I am having fun with it so far.
    Good Luck
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

9. Member
    I would cover the basics then see what you think you need from there. Any of the name brand wrapping stations should be good. Power wrapping takes some practice just like anything else but if you plan on building a lot it is very useful. I build mostly bass rods and wrap 80% of the rod by hand so power wrapping isn't a must for the hobby builder. The combo wrapper/drier is all you need unless you plan to build multiple rods at the same time. If you think that is a possible then having a separate drier is good idea. Below is a list things I keep on hand.

- Full set of Extreme Reamers
    - Mixing cups and stir sticks (buy in bulk you need a lot of them)
    - Disposable brushes (buy in bulk)
    - high quality paper towels
    - Spray bottle filled with denatured alcohol
    - Masking tape (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", & 1")
    - 8oz of high build and light or standard build rod finish
    - 4oz of paste epoxy
    - CRB micro guide bands (orthodontic rubber bands) used to hold guides in place while wrapping
    - 6" digital calipers
    - Dental pick set
    - Burnishing tool
    - Single edge Razor Blades
    - fly tying scissors
    - Exacto knife and replacement blades
    - Heat gun
    - Color Preserver
    - Large assortment of size "A" thread double up on the common base colors(Black, red, blue)
    - Tip Top glue
    - Small file or rotary tool used to taper guide feet
    - Some kind of mount used to hold the rod during static test for guide placement, the CRB spine finder works good.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRanger619 View Post
    I would cover the basics then see what you think you need from there. Any of the name brand wrapping stations should be good. Power wrapping takes some practice just like anything else but if you plan on building a lot it is very useful. I build mostly bass rods and wrap 80% of the rod by hand so power wrapping isn't a must for the hobby builder. The combo wrapper/drier is all you need unless you plan to build multiple rods at the same time. If you think that is a possible then having a separate drier is good idea. Below is a list things I keep on hand.

- Full set of Extreme Reamers
    - Mixing cups and stir sticks (buy in bulk you need a lot of them)
    - Disposable brushes (buy in bulk)
    - high quality paper towels
    - Spray bottle filled with denatured alcohol
    - Masking tape (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", & 1")
    - 8oz of high build and light or standard build rod finish
    - 4oz of paste epoxy
    - CRB micro guide bands (orthodontic rubber bands) used to hold guides in place while wrapping
    - 6" digital calipers
    - Dental pick set
    - Burnishing tool
    - Single edge Razor Blades
    - fly tying scissors
    - Exacto knife and replacement blades
    - Heat gun
    - Color Preserver
    - Large assortment of size "A" thread double up on the common base colors(Black, red, blue)
    - Tip Top glue
    - Small file or rotary tool used to taper guide feet
    - Some kind of mount used to hold the rod during static test for guide placement, the CRB spine finder works good.
    That's a great list. I get a lot of those things at the local hobby store (mixing sticks = popsicle sticks, disposable paint brushes etc). A couple of other things that I find handy are a pair of straight tweezers (I use when I'm putting on tips, keeps me from burning my fingers...I cut flakes of tip glue, stuff them in the tip tube then heat up and put on). Also, with a rasp, file and sanding blocks you can shape cork nicely with some patience. A dremel tool also comes in handy for cutting down blanks, cutting threads off reel seats etc.

11. Member
    A product called Piccolastic D125 is what I've been using for tip tops, i got mine from a builder friend who got it from St Croix. It is granular like sugar and is what St Croix has started using. Very good stuff. I use a small set of forceps from a medical supply store as a heat sync, no hot fingers when applying a tip top or taking one off.

One thing that cost me some money when I was putting my wrapping set together was my thread tensioning device. It didn't cost me money because it was expensive, but rather because I didn't know what I didn't know and had to end up tossing my initial setup. Best advice I can give on that front is to stay far away from the type of tensioner that the thread runs through after it comes off the spool....this is easily the most common thing I've seen in DIY projects for thread tension. Problem is they suck! At best they don't offer much adjustment for tension (it's either too tight or too loose), and at worst they'll fray up your thread. I was about to toss my setup and buy one of the ones from CRB that has the thing that looks like a rod tip to keep tension. Then I went looking for DIY advice and came across some discussion on this topic.

Get some 1/4" threaded rods, some nylon washers, and a light duty conical spring that will fit onto the rod. Screw the rod partially into whatever you want to hold the spool(s) of thread and put your spool on with the spring using the washers as needed. Here's the trick: use small size binder clips to hold the thread spool and spring onto the rod. Push the clip up tighter for more tension, pull it out for less tension. It's shocking how well it works. The edge just grips into the threads and will not move. There's no need for trying to use nylock nuts or something to combat the tension tightening/loosening on its own due to the thread spool turning the nut.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360