Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fueling Question

2013 Z519 with what I assume is a 2012 hull with dual 20 gallon tanks.
    (I assume they are 20 gallon each)
    I track my fuel use with the Smartcraft which I assume is accurate.....
    I can't seem to get more than 17-18 gallons in either tank, regardless of how slow and methodical I pump the gas before fuel backs up and sputters out all over the place. Not happy having to clean up a mess if I try to "top off" a tank....... If the Smartcraft is not accurate, then that is my problem.

Anyone else have this problem...... or do you just assume your tanks are full when you start to hear a back-splash coming ?
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

Get yourself one of these in the fuel lines and no more problems with splashing back.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko...xoCluUQAvD_BwE
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Similar issue with my 175VS. If I fill on level ground, it splashes back, and isn't always full. I assume air can't escape from the tank. When I fuel with the filler on an angle up from the tank, it fills better, and less splash back as the air has a clearer path out of the tank.

4. Member
    Installed the inline flapper and no more mess, it works.

5. Member
    How does this work in terms of cutting off flow ie back pressure that shuts off fuel at the pump? or does it just decrease the amount of splashing back?

6. Member
    I have a 2011 519C (w/ dual tanks) and every time I fuel up the back splashing happens ... not fun but I can't figure out how to prevent it - I also do the 1/4 pull on the pump handle etc. - but it still happens.. Maybe I'll explore some of the suggestions here.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by BassinLA13 View Post
    I have a 2011 519C (w/ dual tanks) and every time I fuel up the back splashing happens ... not fun but I can't figure out how to prevent it - I also do the 1/4 pull on the pump handle etc. - but it still happens.. Maybe I'll explore some of the suggestions here.
    The backflow preventer will cure your problems. Need one in each fill line. It has a little one way flapper in it that prevents fuel from burping back from the fuel tank as the tank fills up.
    Take the fuel hose loose from the top of the tank and slip the preventer inside the fill hose.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Anybody know if fill lines are the same size in older boats? Mine is 95 481vs and I would absolutely LOVE to stop the splashback.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Anybody know if fill lines are the same size in older boats? Mine is 95 481vs and I would absolutely LOVE to stop the splashback.
    Yes they are all the same
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Yes they are all the same
    Ordered them. Thanks for the info!

Looks like they're backordered, but my boat is in storage for another two months anyhow. Can't touch these for the price anywhere else.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. mikesxpress
    It's in the tips section above. I posted it here years ago. Anti-Puke valves.

Nothing more entertaining at a gas station than watch some guy with a $70K + bass boat listening for the tell tale gurgle and still get fuel puked all over him.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=505027
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 02-16-2018 at 12:51 PM.

12. Member
    Thanks Butch ..... I ordered a pair from WestMarine at 88% off for $3.57 each ...... The same part is on Amazon for $38.49 !!!!
    I don't know what kind of a P.I.A. it is going to be to pull the seats and install, but anything has got to be better then the fuel mess trying to fill my twin tanks.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213

Quote Originally Posted by Michael49 View Post
    Thanks Butch ..... I ordered a pair from WestMarine at 88% off for $3.57 each ...... The same part is on Amazon for $38.49 !!!!
    I don't know what kind of a P.I.A. it is going to be to pull the seats and install, but anything has got to be better then the fuel mess trying to fill my twin tanks.
    Yes, I couldn't believe it when I googled the anti-backflow valve the other day and west marine was showing it for that price. I think I paid ~$20 each when I got a pair a couple of years ago.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

14. mikesxpress
    Hardest part is getting the line off the tank. Small dull flat tip screwdriver to pry it loose works well.

Make sure the arrow on the Perko valve is pointing toward the tank. Add a bit of SuperLube grease to the outside of the Perko and push in past where the tank neck will rest inside the hose.

15. Member
    Sorta dumb question. I just received mine. Each has a strip of packaging tape where the pins/springs for the flapper valve come through on the outside of the housing. Directions don’t mention it or reference taking it off, but doesn’t seem like something I would ever want the chance to come loose and be in my tank. But also concerned that they put it there to keep it together? Hope it’s not that fragile. Thinking I should take it off?

16. mikesxpress
    Should look like the ones above prior to install.

17. Member
    It does except there a strip of packaging tape on the outside where the flapper valve pins come through on the outside housing. I guess it doesn’t matter depending on how tight the valve fits in the hose?

18. mikesxpress
    Take the tape off so it looks like the ones above.

19. Member
    Man the hose/tank closest to the fill (05 520) was a pain. Hope it works, the fill line is short on that tank, only about a foot. Actually had to loosen the tank and shorten the hose an inch to get a straighter run (there was a bend or slight kink the way it was installed at the factory) so I could get the valve in there. The furthest tank was easy. Thanks for the help!

20. Member
    Thanks mikesxpress & Ranger519VS for the advice and information.
    My "fuel valves" arrived from WestMarine for $3.57 each and I installed yesterday.

Took me about 3 hours start to finish, I am 61 and have just basic mechanic skills, so this is a job that about anyone could handle.
    I have never had my three seats out, so that was most of the R&R time for me.
    The comment that getting the hoses off of the tanks was a struggle was correct, especially the port tank.

My piece of advice would be your tanks should not be more than 1/4 or so full.
    You have to twist and contort to get the hoses off the tank..... and if you apply even the slightest pressure to the top of the tank you will lose belch-out some fuel. I found this out as my port tank had about 15 gallons in it and I lost about 6 ounces of fuel. Ran some water down under and around the tank and washed it out the drain plug, but this is a step that would be best avoided.

For once I am looking forward to heading to the gas station to fill my tanks to see how these valves perform !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast