Thread: elites

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Yep it always shows up just like all the other old recycled worn out comments by those still clinging to the belief that Professional Bass Fishing is going to be a major spectator event someday with companies standing in line to throw train loads of money at so they and all the other believers can "Live the Dream"
    Great point. You notice Non Endemic Sponsors don't stay around very long. The marketing people that record each time a logo is in view publish reports on the value returned for the investment. When you have a 4 day tournament reduced down to a 60 / 40 minute after commercial show. Not a lot of sponsor views. Best thing to do for your sponsors is fall out of the boat or do something that gets lots of replays on video.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Best thing to do for your sponsors is fall out of the boat or do something that gets lots of replays on video.
    You got a marketing degree? That's brilliance....

3. dartag1829
    Brandon McMillen over 20k views on YouTube for falling out of the boat catching a fish.

One of the biggest problem with Tournament Bass fishing is, almost everyone thinks they are/can be, a pro. Whereas in most other sports, there is no doubt who the real pros are.

5. Member
    After reading these post, I 've got to " tie one on "

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Wow Hoot, I don't know what pushed your buttons. I am not involved with BASS nor am I a professional fisherman. Its not my job to figure out their business model. If BASS and the fishermen are fine with the current format good for them. If you like the way it is I respect that. Maybe your post should reflect that instead of jumping on someone else about their opinion, which did not mention you or anything you posted. My post was simply my observation on the topic we were talking about. Guess you can't have an opinion on anything anymore around here. I sure hope you have a good day
    Thanks .....Sorry wanted to expand on your discussion of what exactly Professional Bass fishing should do to figure out the how to gain more revenue from the public and sponsors that hasn't already been tried in the last 25 plus years. You also suggested re-configuring the rules to change the current formats so the true top 100 Pros in the world could emerge beyond the current system wanted to hear what your ideas were for that reconfiguration and how it might pay for itself in order to move on from the legalized gambling concept. There has been some very interesting reading on here in the past on this subject from the creative thinking of individuals concerning the expansion of professional fishing was looking for some suggestions behind your concepts.

7. Member
    There are a lot more of them with very decent sponsorship $ packages and making a lot of $ thAn you think. Its more than "just a handful" and no most guys are not "going brokke"
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Thomas View Post
    There are a lot more of them with very decent sponsorship $ packages and making a lot of $ thAn you think. Its more than "just a handful" and no most guys are not "going brokke"
    I'm right with you. I'm not saying the brand spanking new elites are making a killing or anything. I however doubt most of them get into the elites without a primary sponsor or a combination of such.

In the article which was linked to way back in this thread John Crews was quoted as having I think 68k of sponsorship "prior" to his breakout year. I think that article was pretty old and he was in his 20's. I cant imagine he was a senior established elite at the time and received 68k. So I would think the 68k would cover entry fees and travel etc. If he only places 50th 5 times thats an income of 50k. Thats also not including any speaking appearances, guiding, merch etc etc.

Thats not a killer income but plenty of people live on a lot less.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Thanks .....Sorry wanted to expand on your discussion of what exactly Professional Bass fishing should do to figure out the how to gain more revenue from the public and sponsors that hasn't already been tried in the last 25 plus years. You also suggested re-configuring the rules to change the current formats so the true top 100 Pros in the world could emerge beyond the current system wanted to hear what your ideas were for that reconfiguration and how it might pay for itself in order to move on from the legalized gambling concept. There has been some very interesting reading on here in the past on this subject from the creative thinking of individuals concerning the expansion of professional fishing was looking for some suggestions behind your concepts.
    I agree with the growing the sport argument, it sure ain't happening around here on a local level. Its gone down in the last couple of decades big time. I follow the tournament trails but its not a big deal if I miss any of it. For some reason when I turn on MLF, I'm sleeping in 15 minutes. I can't see it growing to the size needed to support a larger sport, if it can grow at all. I consider myself a fan of the fishing circuits and its no big deal if I miss a show. If fans of fishing don't really care if they see it on TV, it will be very difficult to grow with a new audience. New revenue will be hard to come by in my opinion. One avenue may be a format for you to start competing locally in tournaments with maybe less payout per tournament with the rewards being moving up in class and funnel some of those $$ up the line. There seems to be a good number of fishermen that want to throw money at trying to become "pro's" Federation clubs do something like that but you have to join a club and like you said earlier its full of rules people don't want to hassle with. May be a way to generate more local interest. Problem there is after a couple of years of disappointment, how many guys have the fortitude and dedication to keep at it? I'm sure lots of the smaller chamber of commerce organizations would love to support tournaments that bring in $$ from around the region without having to pay an organization mega $$. Some type of circuit format starting at the local level and progressing all the way up to the elites would be what I'd like to see. Something that is a much better vetting process to let the better anglers rise to the top. I hear all the time that fishing as a sport is just scratching the surface. But is there anything under the surface to uncover. The pros are working for their sponsors. The payouts are structured to look good on paper. Why not have a good vetting system to get to the elites and have no entry fees? Just fish for the sponsor money BASS contrubutes, or have a smaller entry fee. The reason seems to me to be what was said earlier. BASS marketing the dream. Its easier to sell a 100k payday and 10 k placements and hide most of the expenses in the fishermans money contributions than to sell a 10k first place and 1-2k placements. It would be interesting to add up the total boats made for federation, all flw and bass circuits etc. Even throw in some of the larger team tournament circuits. I would bet it is a noteworthy number. The market is just not that big. Like I said earlier, lets just call it what it is. Organized gambling.

10. Member
    With good advertising thru print and T.V. how many top Pros do these tackle and boat companies actually need on their payroll making big money to promote product ? A lot of guys are going to be SOL cause KVD, Skeet, Ike, Edwin, Swindle, Palanuik, got the bases covered.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    With good advertising thru print and T.V. how many top Pros do these tackle and boat companies actually need on their payroll making big money to promote product ? A lot of guys are going to be SOL cause KVD, Skeet, Ike, Edwin, Swindle, Palanuik, got the bases covered.
    That is true, at least for real dollar deals. Pretty much anyone on the elites can get free baits... those don't pay the mortgage. And contrary to what many might think, those boys do have to pay out of pocket for lots of stuff. Perfect example was guys wanting an Ultrex instead of a Fortrex last year. Even most of the MK guys had to pay, I know one who dished out over 2K to get one last spring and another that ran a free Fortrex rather than pay for an Ultrex.... He was an established multi time winner on tour as well.

12. Member
    LOL as to bass fishing as a spectator sport. Try to research where bass fishing ranks in terms of popularity. Good luck. I was channel surfing the other day and game across bowling. I wondered to myself what kind of idiots really think this exciting?? Then it occurred to me: look it up on Al Gore's invention. Wow. On some lists even Darts are more popular than competitive bass fishing.

As to the Big Two, the tours have grown smaller and the prize money has shrunk. It's not dead but it is dying.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

13. Member
    Growing the sport, what sport ? Tournament bass fishing or bass fishing. Why does the pulse of bass fishing have to be measured by the participation in tournaments ? I apologize for taking this thread so far of topic. But, just because tournament participation is down doesn't mean that guys aren't still out there crankin and windin every chance they get. A lot of guys just got tired of the tournament scene but still fish just as much as they ever did, me included. Look at the sales of aluminum bass boats its big, most aren't tourney guys, just bass fisherman. Bass fishing is still just as popular just shifting away from the tourney scene, fun fisherman still buy lots of stuff, trust me.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    I agree with the growing the sport argument, it sure ain't happening around here on a local level. Its gone down in the last couple of decades big time. I follow the tournament trails but its not a big deal if I miss any of it. For some reason when I turn on MLF, I'm sleeping in 15 minutes. I can't see it growing to the size needed to support a larger sport, if it can grow at all. I consider myself a fan of the fishing circuits and its no big deal if I miss a show. If fans of fishing don't really care if they see it on TV, it will be very difficult to grow with a new audience. New revenue will be hard to come by in my opinion. One avenue may be a format for you to start competing locally in tournaments with maybe less payout per tournament with the rewards being moving up in class and funnel some of those $$ up the line. There seems to be a good number of fishermen that want to throw money at trying to become "pro's" Federation clubs do something like that but you have to join a club and like you said earlier its full of rules people don't want to hassle with. May be a way to generate more local interest. Problem there is after a couple of years of disappointment, how many guys have the fortitude and dedication to keep at it? I'm sure lots of the smaller chamber of commerce organizations would love to support tournaments that bring in $$ from around the region without having to pay an organization mega $$. Some type of circuit format starting at the local level and progressing all the way up to the elites would be what I'd like to see. Something that is a much better vetting process to let the better anglers rise to the top. I hear all the time that fishing as a sport is just scratching the surface. But is there anything under the surface to uncover. The pros are working for their sponsors. The payouts are structured to look good on paper. Why not have a good vetting system to get to the elites and have no entry fees? Just fish for the sponsor money BASS contrubutes, or have a smaller entry fee. The reason seems to me to be what was said earlier. BASS marketing the dream. Its easier to sell a 100k payday and 10 k placements and hide most of the expenses in the fishermans money contributions than to sell a 10k first place and 1-2k placements. It would be interesting to add up the total boats made for federation, all flw and bass circuits etc. Even throw in some of the larger team tournament circuits. I would bet it is a noteworthy number. The market is just not that big. Like I said earlier, lets just call it what it is. Organized gambling.
    Thanks this is a good write up

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456