Thread: elites

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    The top tier guys like Ike, KVD, and Swindle are making a decent living at it because they have built a sponsor base that supports them. BUT a lot of them, if not the majority, are paying most of it out of their own pocket. I've heard a lot of guys (maybe more so on the FLW side) play credit card roulette every year. They max out their credit cards at the beginning of the season to cover entry fees, etc. and hope they have enough to pay it off at the end of the season.
    I could see the low tier or up and coming guys in this situation.. Its hard for me to believe its a majority though. I mean they are able to consistatly fill 150+ boat fields. I would think if this were the case the organization would have folded by now.

Its not like this is a local club tournament costing 60 bucks a pop. Most guys with a boat can afford that and work a job for a living. We are talking thousands upon thousands of dollars that most if not all do as a job..

Then again I know no one at that level and have no idea.

2. Member
    I believe I read where the Tour Schedule this year is 7200 miles between events.

3. Member
    This to me explaines a lot. Crews received over 63k in sponsorship prior to as he calls it a "breakout season".

In contrast to the older, more established Bassmaster Elite Series pros who sit atop the sponsorship ladder, John Crews offers a look at the financial help that one young angler might receive.

The 28-year-old Virginian pro is one of the sport's rising young stars.

Entering the 2006 Elite Series season, Crews received $63,600 in sponsor dollars. But then he put together what he calls a "breakout" season— finishing 20th in the Bassmaster Angler-of-the-Year standings and garnering an invitation to his third consecutive Classic.

4. Member
    I believe it was , Kevin Short, who was an elite for several years, wrote an extensive article about how tough it was to make ends meet as a pro unless you had the big sponsor $. He could have still been fishing with the elites but unless you have the big sponsors or not placing extremely high it was a tough way to make a living, even making the $10000 cut does really take you very far with expenses .

5. Banned
    I know skeet has a driver, that must cost some coin.

I think sponsored guys do good but they rest struggle.

6. Member
    Wow thanks for sharing that link and that was some time ago just wondering with the rumors of the sale of the bigger bait companies what will happen
    Last edited by greg88; 02-11-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling

7. Member
    Yeah, I think Kevin Short said in his article that you had to finish in the top 40% of the field at the end of the year just to break even.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    Bottom line.....unless you are well sponsored .....or can win at least 2 elite events per year.....you will not last long out on the series.
    The mid to lower level elite guys do not travel lavishly.....many bunk up together. I really respect the guys who are under extreme financial pressure yet can still focus on fishing and get the distractions out of their heads.
    No one can do that consistently.

It is a tough gig, there are certainly some guys doing well but it is a lot harder than most people think. There are plenty of examples of excellent anglers walking away because the math doesn't make sense. Short has been vocal for sure, Dave Wolak is a case of an excellent angler that got sick of having to pay to play a professional sport at the highest level. He wrote an article a few years back comparing it to other sports, baseball in particular where the product (athletes) get paid to play.... not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    If the entry is $5000, BASS pays out more than the entry fees, so better than your Wednesday night dogfight.
    110 elites @ $5,000 each = $550,000
    Price money is $638,000
    Shortfall is $88,000
    No idea how much the title sponsor, plus the others kick in, not to mention how much the host city chips in.
    Don't forget the Marshall Fees
    something like $150 each
    110 boats = $16,500

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

10. Member
    If think it's messed up that 50th place pays $10,000 and 12th pays $10,500.

Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    If think it's messed up that 50th place pays $10,000 and 12th pays $10,500.
    Read between the lines they are trying to keep as many dreams alive as possible . In our local tournaments 1 out to 7 get paid because everyone thinks they are going to win !!!!! I quietly hoped for a 1 of 4 payout because its not about the money to me ( and many others ) we just want to say we won something .

12. Member
    Youtube Jason Quinn I don't remember the exact name of it but pretty interesting watching the behind the scenes of bass fishing
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

13. Member
    If you guys really want a good laugh, go take a look at what the opens pay out in cash vs. what they take in (based on a 200 boat field) even including the no entry fee championship. Yes, they give away a 45k Nitro at each event to the winner but those are a drop in Ol’ Johnny’s bucket as an advertising expense write off. If anyone thinks BASS is paying for those boats feel free to correct me. I get that it’s a business but I was pretty surprised how little cash they pay out. If you don’t win an open, you could tear it up without much to show for it after expenses and be hit with a $70,000 bill to compete on the elites if you qualify. But hey they keep selling the dream and seem to be doing a pretty good job at it.

8 events at 200 boats at $1,500 entry fee plus no entry fee Championship.
    Entry Fees: 2,400,000
    Cash Payout: 1,391,000
    Boat Prizes MSRP Value: 405,000
    Last edited by JBIGUNS; 02-11-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

14. Member
    [QUOTE=JStratosB;9092211]If you guys really want a good laugh, go take a look at what the opens pay out in cash vs. what they take in (based on a 200 boat field) even including the no entry fee championship. Yes, they give away a 45k Nitro at each event to the winner but those are a drop in Ol’ Johnny’s bucket as an advertising expense write off. If anyone thinks BASS is paying for those boats feel free to correct me. I get that it’s a business but I was pretty surprised how little cash they pay out. If you don’t win an open, you could tear it up without much to show for it after expenses and be hit with a $70,000 bill to compete on the elites if you qualify. But hey they keep selling the dream and seem to be doing a pretty good job at it.

Entry Fees: 2,400,000
    Cash Payout: 1,391,000
    Boat Prizes MSRP Value: 405,000[
    /QUOTE]

15. Member
    I always felt the 12th place finish payout in the Elites was a joke. 500.00 dollars more. Lets see, Another night at a hotel. Food. Gas (Especially if making a long run).
    It would have been better to depart the tournament, or sit at the launch, and not crank the big motor.

If you look at majority of the anglers earnings, (except for maybe the top 3-5) 1 million dollars in earnings in 10yrs is crap if you add in expenses. I believe the whole ELITE thing (look at me, boat wrapped, bling truck) , is a big lie.
    Most professional sports, Even Tennis and Golf, have limited expenses from the Pro, with maximum gains from winnings. Hell, even a last place finish in most golf tournaments average about 50k dollars. First place will bring home a cool million dollars. Expenses? Plane travel. golf clubs, caddy. Most of which will paid for by their sponsors.

Compared to other professional sports, Bass fishing is not in the same class.
    I do not have the luxury of fishing the majority of the year, but I do make more than 90 percent of the Pro's. I also get to enjoy fishing without being forced to earn that check.
    Personally I have the better deal.

As the attached article from back in 2007 stated, the Pro's that make it big, receive thousands from sponsors, but most do not. Example: In 2018, where is Jason Quinn from that article?

Hopefully it changes in the future for our Bass professionals, especially for the up and coming college level anglers. Otherwise, they are in for a reality check.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 02-12-2018 at 01:40 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Member
    Well, when you brainiacs figure out how to get broadcast companies to pay for broadcast rights, or someone to buy a ticket to see a weigh in, or pay per view to watch BASS live you can forget comparing fishing to other sports. Unless those things happen, and they never will, anglers will continue to fish for each other's money.

17. Member
    The best way to end up with $1 million fishing BASS is to start off with $2 Million!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I always felt the 12th place finish payout in the Elites was a joke. 500.00 dollars more. Lets see, Another night at a hotel. Food. Gas (Especially if making a long run).
    It would have been better to depart the tournament, or sit at the launch, and not crank the big motor.

If you look at majority of the anglers earnings, (except for maybe the top 3-5) 1 million dollars in earnings in 10yrs is crap if you add in expenses. I believe the whole ELITE thing (look at me, boat wrapped, bling truck) , is a big lie.
    Most professional sports, Even Tennis and Golf, have limited expenses from the Pro, with maximum gains from winnings. Hell, even a last place finish in most golf tournaments average about 50k dollars. First place will bring home a cool million dollars. Expenses? Plane travel. golf clubs, caddy. Most of which will paid for by their sponsors.

I do not have the luxury of fishing the majority of the year, but I do make more than 90 percent of the Pro's. I also get to enjoy fishing without being forced to earn that check.

As the attached article from back in 2007 stated, the Pro's that make it big, receive thousands from sponsors, but most do not. Example: In 2018, where is Jason Quinn from that article?

Hopefully it changes in the future for our Bass professionals, especially for the up and coming college level anglers. Otherwise, they are in for a reality check.
    I agree 100%.For the most part its a big lie
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Well, when you brainiacs figure out how to get broadcast companies to pay for broadcast rights, or someone to buy a ticket to see a weigh in, or pay per view to watch BASS live you can forget comparing fishing to other sports. Unless those things happen, and they never will, anglers will continue to fish for each other's money.
    +10000000, all these guys comparing this to other sports sound totally ignorant. When's the last time a fan had to pay for a ticket to watch a bass tournament?

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67

Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    I agree 100%.For the most part its a big lie
    Yes "Delusional Thinking" has always been highly prevalent in and around the very small world of Professional Fishing and it will never approach the financial level of Professional Golf or Tennis.

There are also professional skateboarders, snowboarders and skiers making way more money than professional fishermen and they have way more people waiting in line for their autographs.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast