Thread: elites

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    +10000000, all these guys comparing this to other sports sound totally ignorant. When's the last time a fan had to pay for a ticket to watch a bass tournament?
    Its not ignorant, especially when stating facts.
    The point is, its made to look glamorous, when in fact, its not at all what it seems.
    It doesn't take a way from the incredible talent that these Pro's possess. But the reality of Elite BASS fishing is; your an ELITE not just because you fish well, but because you were able to obtain the obscene amount of money for entry fees, fuel, 150k+ in equipment (Boat, Truck), Hotel, food, gas for travel. If you do not make the top 52 places, you lost ALL of that investment. It isn't over....You get to do it again next tournament!!

As I said above: Hopefully it changes in the future for our Bass professionals, especially for the up and coming college level anglers. Otherwise, they are in for a reality check.

Of course, it doesn't change my passion for bass fishing, or the Pro's that do it for the same reason!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67
    I always felt the 12th place finish payout in the Elites was a joke. 500.00 dollars more. Lets see, Another night at a hotel. Food. Gas (Especially if making a long run).
    It would have been better to depart the tournament, or sit at the launch, and not crank the big motor.

If you look at majority of the anglers earnings, (except for maybe the top 3-5) 1 million dollars in earnings in 10yrs is crap if you add in expenses. I believe the whole ELITE thing (look at me, boat wrapped, bling truck) , is a big lie.
    Most professional sports, Even Tennis and Golf, have limited expenses from the Pro, with maximum gains from winnings. Hell, even a last place finish in most golf tournaments average about 50k dollars. First place will bring home a cool million dollars. Expenses? Plane travel. golf clubs, caddy. Most of which will paid for by their sponsors.

Compared to other professional sports, Bass fishing is not in the same class.
    I do not have the luxury of fishing the majority of the year, but I do make more than 90 percent of the Pro's. I also get to enjoy fishing without being forced to earn that check.
    Personally I have the better deal.

As the attached article from back in 2007 stated, the Pro's that make it big, receive thousands from sponsors, but most do not. Example: In 2018, where is Jason Quinn from that article?

Hopefully it changes in the future for our Bass professionals, especially for the up and coming college level anglers. Otherwise, they are in for a reality check.

Yes "Delusional Thinking" has always been highly prevalent in and around the very small world of Professional Fishing and it will never approach the financial level of Professional Golf or Tennis.

There are also professional skateboarders, snowboarders and skiers making way more money than professional fishermen and they have way more people waiting in line for their autographs.
    Unfortunately this is correct in fact if all the Pro fishing events stopped most of the world would not even know anything happen. Most still associate fishing as a hook and bobber

3. Member
    Heck I remember one year at the Classic several years ago, BASS dared to charge a few dollars for down close weigh in seating. All other seats were still free, and you'd have thought it was a red neck version of the Boston Tea Party. It was the end of the world in big time bass tournament circles. They never attempted that again. So where will the money come from?

4. Member
    I'd take a few years off work and off a good salary to live that life... let's not forget they get to fish 250 days a year, and the other days are spent thinking about fishing and not whatever-career-they-might-have...

5. Member
    Also, the Elites are subsidized by the BassNation.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotskeeter View Post
    Yeah right.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Well, when you brainiacs figure out how to get broadcast companies to pay for broadcast rights, or someone to buy a ticket to see a weigh in, or pay per view to watch BASS live you can forget comparing fishing to other sports. Unless those things happen, and they never will, anglers will continue to fish for each other's money.
    This is true.

The comparisons earlier are from an anglers point of view, there are always three sides to every story.

It would be great if the economics could evolve to make it a more viable career for more people. The effort and investment is equal to or greater than "making it" in other sports but the monetary reward is not. You correctly point out that this is largely due to the fact that people do not pay to watch people fish.

This does not mean that it is a good deal for the "talent". The Wolak example is valid from his point of view and Michael Bennet might be an even better example, walking away after the biggest payday in fishing because he did not see a opportunity to continue to be profitable, even with a big win to his name.

It's kind of crazy when the equipment you use to compete in a sport is worth a lot more than most participants make in a year.... or two.

not

9. Member
    When will the payouts grow again? They reduced when the economy crashed. It's booming yet payout's have been stagnant for a decade. Entry fees however keep going up.

10. Member
    All about revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by bengiff206 View Post
    I'd take a few years off work and off a good salary to live that life... let's not forget they get to fish 250 days a year, and the other days are spent thinking about fishing and not whatever-career-they-might-have...
    Not me. I love to fish but not with the pressure and stress of wondering how I'm going to get home if I don't cash a check.

12. Member
    I guess the best way to put it is, being the best angler on the planet doesn't mean you will be able to fish the Elites.
    Being the best golf player means you will more than likely make millions.

Playing Tennis, Golf, boxing, or other sports either comes down to being the best team, or the best player. In bass fishing, the BASS are the inconsistency in the sport.
    Example: Tennis, The winner of a grand slam beat EVERY person they played.
    No matter how good a pro is, the bass will almost always win. I believe this inconsistency also keeps our sport from achieving what other sports have when it comes to sponsorship, and earnings.

On a different note, I believe the new no information rule is going to be a huge game changer in our sport.

One thing I have done that I hate, is gotten off the OP's subject! I hate tangents. My bad!!
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 02-12-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    I wonder how many of the Elites or Flw guys make $50-$90k after expenses. Not talking about the top 10%.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    not

Do you really think that all the money generated by the Nation goes back into the Nation? How does that Kool-Aid taste?

15. huskyjerk
    Quote Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
    most guys know Marty Stone as the commentator for MLF. Some remember when he fished the Tour. Well, there was a story about how broke the guys must be so he decided to interview a few of them. They all agreed to be 100% honest.

Keep in mind this was in 2007... a full 10 years ago!

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/show-me-money
    I remember reading that article. It's interesting that Swindle and Reese were making more than KVD in spite of KVD's much better performance record. Goes to show that you really need to be a good businessman to survive.

Do you really think that all the money generated by the Nation goes back into the Nation? How does that Kool-Aid taste?
    We will just have to agree to disagree. I don't like Kool-Aid.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    The best way to end up with $1 million fishing BASS is to start off with $2 Million!
    same as with CATTLE !!

18. Member
    You guys pay BASS or FLW an annual membership that includes a magazine that costs money to produce. Last time I looked at it, it cost like a hundred bucks to be members of everything needed to participate in the Federation. Most of which is used in the various state Federations, and never gets to BASS or FLW. At the peak before the big split there were like 40k federation members. I would be surprised if either has over 15k members these days. If I were running BASS or FLW, the first thing I would do is cancel that outmoded aged out program, and apply those resources to the high school/college programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I guess the best way to put it is, being the best angler on the planet doesn't mean you will be able to fish the Elites.
    Being the best golf player means you will more than likely make millions.

Playing Tennis, Golf, boxing, or other sports either comes down to being the best team, or the best player. In bass fishing, the BASS are the inconsistency in the sport.
    Example: Tennis, The winner of a grand slam beat EVERY person they played.
    No matter how good a pro is, the bass will almost always win. I believe this inconsistency also keeps our sport from achieving what other sports have when it comes to sponsorship, and earnings.

On a different note, I believe the new no information rule is going to be a huge game changer in our sport.

One thing I have done that I hate, is gotten off the OP's subject! I hate tangents. My bad!!
    Wow, you keep leaving out the single most important reason that bass fishing payouts will never, ever, not in a million years pay out what all other major sports pay out.

Preston has summed it up more than once. Search his posts. You can take his word to the bank.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast