Thread: elites

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    If you pay 5 grand to enter and win back 10 grand you break about even with all the expenses , but if you finish above top 52 + then you go broke quickly .
    $5000 post tax money for the entry fee, $10,000 pre tax money winnings. Unless someone is footing your entry fee, the disparity between the entry fee and post tax winnings is not a whole lot. Definitely would need to treat it as a business and keep track of ALL expenses.

I'd rather go to work, get a paycheck/benefits and fish for fun. When you turn a hobby into a business, all of the fun goes away. Not my dream!!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

2. Member
    Until they can figure a way to generate more revenue from the public or sponsorships it will continue to be legal gambling. One day there may be a format that would let all fishermen compete for the slots as the best in the world. The elites may be the best out of the group that are willing to take the risk but I don't think they are the best 100 in the world. Some are the best in the world. Maybe the college fishing will be a path for some to qualify. Looks like some of the college guys are doing pretty good. Maybe the pros will adopt more of a "team" aspect so teams would be able to "recruit" the guys they want. Don't know how this would work, just thoughts. It would take a total makeover of the format, sponsorship, rules etc. I can't imagine the top 10 or so pros, who are also the face of the sport wanting to change anything. A lot of the sponsorship dollars are tied up in 20 or so guys and 2 or 3 fishing organizations.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    $5000 post tax money for the entry fee, $10,000 pre tax money winnings. Unless someone is footing your entry fee, the disparity between the entry fee and post tax winnings is not a whole lot. Definitely would need to treat it as a business and keep track of ALL expenses.

I'd rather go to work, get a paycheck/benefits and fish for fun. When you turn a hobby into a business, all of the fun goes away. Not my dream!!
    Seems like I remember that when the downturn hit and they reconfigured things, entry fees fell below 5k. I couldn't find out what they actually are currently anywhere.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Wow, you keep leaving out the single most important reason that bass fishing payouts will never, ever, not in a million years pay out what all other major sports pay out.
    As an adult I am well aware of the RESASON that the payout will never be the same as other sports.
    My posts were not directed at that issue.
    Previous post: I believe the whole ELITE thing (look at me, boat wrapped, bling truck) , is a big lie.

One of the reasons: No matter how good a pro is, the bass will almost always win. I believe this inconsistency also keeps our sport from achieving what other sports have when it comes to sponsorship, and earnings.

If you don't agree, ask K-Pink!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by dewyg0606 View Post
    Not a high % option to make a living.
    Very true. This is why every fishing show is basically a 30-60 minute commercial. These guys don’t make a living cashing checks in tournaments unless they hit multiple ones or win the classic and most of those guys have already done really well with sponsor money. They make their living pushing product for their sponsors. I’m sure a very high percentage of guys have gone broke chasing this dream and for some it is simply a expensive hobby that some of them can afford. Professional bass fishing is a far cry from any other professional sport.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Until they can figure a way to generate more revenue from the public or sponsorships it will continue to be legal gambling. One day there may be a format that would let all fishermen compete for the slots as the best in the world. The elites may be the best out of the group that are willing to take the risk but I don't think they are the best 100 in the world. Some are the best in the world. Maybe the college fishing will be a path for some to qualify. Looks like some of the college guys are doing pretty good. Maybe the pros will adopt more of a "team" aspect so teams would be able to "recruit" the guys they want. Don't know how this would work, just thoughts. It would take a total makeover of the format, sponsorship, rules etc. I can't imagine the top 10 or so pros, who are also the face of the sport wanting to change anything. A lot of the sponsorship dollars are tied up in 20 or so guys and 2 or 3 fishing organizations.
    OK like many idealistic individuals before you have the theoretical, speculation and highly wishful thinking but no actual business facts or sound ideas that would make a large group of sponsors and investors step up with the money to finance this venture?

You said the college guys are doing pretty well does that mean they are making money or just catching a lot of fish while using somebody else's money?

The overall viewing public has made it clear that it doesn't care about watching Professional Fishing whether it's individual, team, some contrived event with a referee or who has been declared the best 100 in the world through some cooked up format that can't pay it's own way and needs to be totally subsidized by sponsors.

Professional Fishing doesn't need anymore makeovers or rules especially concerning sponsors who are there to sell their products and make a profit not subsidize.

No ticket sales equals no money, period. The NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL, NASCAR, NBA, Ufc , NCAA football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer etc all have asses in the seats around the area where their respective competition takes place. Every one of those asses belongs to a person that purchased a TICKET to get into that particular event. Last time I checked Stub Hub there weren't any BASS or FLW tickets for sale. There will never be paying fans and the guys fishing these circuits know this ahead of time, they're fishing/gambling for their own money. The former pro's crying about it after they're finished just need to suck it up and move on because they knew what they signed up for. The guys on here thinking payouts will ever be like any of the major sports really need to stop smoking that stuff, you got a bad batch lol.

8. Member
    No ticket sales equals no money, period. The NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL, NASCAR, NBA, Ufc , NCAA football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer etc all have asses in the seats around the area where their respective competition takes place. Every one of those asses belongs to a person that purchased a TICKET to get into that particular event. Last time I checked Stub Hub there weren't any BASS or FLW tickets for sale. There will never be paying fans and the guys fishing these circuits know this ahead of time, they're fishing/gambling for their own money. The former pro's crying about it after they're finished just need to suck it up and move on because they knew what they signed up for. The guys on here thinking payouts will ever be like any of the major sports really need to stop smoking that stuff, you got a bad batch lol.
    I have always thought this and you are correct Bass fishing is not a spectator sport so there will never be any residual income from concessions, parking, etc. BUT I do believe there is a new source of revenue and income from BASS Live, I believe the live coverage is what the future of BASS fishing will be based around and this is somewhat new found money which it would be nice to see that translate back to the anglers. What I think would be a neat idea would be angler of the year wins 20K and has there next years entry fees completely paid for and then 2-5 in the AOY standings would see a certain number of events paid for based on your place 2-5. This is actually a better bet for BASS.

9. Member
    I would pay for good reserved seating at the classic weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    I bet you would be in the minority. I will probably go to this years classic expo because it not a far drive but I won’t be attending the weigh in. I went on Sunday last time they were in hartwell and it was ok but not worth the time. I wish I would have spent the time wasted there at the expo.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    OK like many idealistic individuals before you have the theoretical, speculation and highly wishful thinking but no actual business facts or sound ideas that would make a large group of sponsors and investors step up with the money to finance this venture?

You said the college guys are doing pretty well does that mean they are making money or just catching a lot of fish while using somebody else's money?

The overall viewing public has made it clear that it doesn't care about watching Professional Fishing whether it's individual, team, some contrived event with a referee or who has been declared the best 100 in the world through some cooked up format that can't pay it's own way and needs to be totally subsidized by sponsors.

Professional Fishing doesn't need anymore makeovers or rules especially concerning sponsors who are there to sell their products and make a profit not subsidize.
    "Idealistic individual" "theoretical" "Speculation".............These are three of the many things great ideas have that most overlook. Those of us that strive for perfection and see good things where so many only see the bad are rare. So, Thank you for the compliment. So you are saying it is unrealistic to think there is room for improvement?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    you can become a life member or be a marshal to get it

13. Member
    $100,000 in expenses / entry fees this is not a professional sport this is an expensive hobby. Please name me another televised sport where the athletes have these kind of expenses before they even play the game?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlon crowder View Post
    $100,000 in expenses / entry fees this is not a professional sport this is an expensive hobby. Please name me another televised sport where the athletes have these kind of expenses before they even play the game?
    Again every other televised sport has 15-50,000 plus people paying a lot of money to sit in a stadium or arena to watch. Or there are multi million dollar contracts from television networks to air the games. The revenue that BASS makes is peanuts compared to the other sports. And then you add in shoe/clothing contracts with the individual athletes that pay millions. Tournament bass fishing has a very small niche and I don't see that growing enough to compare to the other sports.

Drag Racing

Pro cycling.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny3Times View Post
    Drag Racing
    Talk about blow 50k quick!! Literally!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marlon crowder View Post

Not to imply that most thoroughbred owners (or professional anglers) are athletes.
    Who controls John Gill?

19. Member
    As for pushing products, I can see that dwindling. With all the Youtubers and Bloggers now a days, I would be more likely to buy something that TacticalBassin recommends than any of the Elites. Just my opinion.

Mike

Just look at how much KVD has won in professional bass fishing in the last 25 years, and it's not even as much as some mediocre players make in 1 season in other sports.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast