Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Nice job on the video
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Really ? I thought it was against the law also.
    Thanks Tim! And yea I thought it was too, I'll find where my buddy found the law but it surprisingly is not illegal for that specific setup.

Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    Anyone try changing out the dropshot weight for say a 1/2 oz jig?
    The problem with that set-up is that the hookset for a drop shot is very different than a hookset on a jig. If you can determine on which bait the fish bit, you might be able to set the hook accordingly. Another complication is that a drop shot is usually fished on much lighter line than a 1/2 ounce jig. You could use a jig with a very light hook, I suppose. Or, use a heavy line for the drop shot. But, to me, adding a jig is a weight on a drop shot is over-complicating the process.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    The problem with that set-up is that the hookset for a drop shot is very different than a hookset on a jig. If you can determine on which bait the fish bit, you might be able to set the hook accordingly. Another complication is that a drop shot is usually fished on much lighter line than a 1/2 ounce jig. You could use a jig with a very light hook, I suppose. Or, use a heavy line for the drop shot. But, to me, adding a jig is a weight on a drop shot is over-complicating the process.
    Valid points, but this discussion has me really wondering how many fish I've dropped over the years while using a dropshot. I mean even in this video I made I dropped one that I thought I got a good hook set on. Looking back on it now, it really did feel like it just let go. I could see that being a strong possibility that the fish grabbed the weight, not the bait/hook.

I know Keitech makes some good light gauge hooks one some small jigs, but not sure on the weight. I bet I could find someone that makes some good heavy headed ones with small hooks on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Valid points, but this discussion has me really wondering how many fish I've dropped over the years while using a dropshot. I mean even in this video I made I dropped one that I thought I got a good hook set on. Looking back on it now, it really did feel like it just let go. I could see that being a strong possibility that the fish grabbed the weight, not the bait/hook.

I know Keitech makes some good light gauge hooks one some small jigs, but not sure on the weight. I bet I could find someone that makes some good heavy headed ones with small hooks on them.
    A friend of mine turned me on to using a 2/0 offset worm hook for drop shotting. It puts the hook point farther back on the bait than a circle hook. My set up is 20# PP braid and 10# to 15# flouro leader with a 5/8ths ounce lead weight. 1/2 ounce or less lead weights are not legal here so I use > 1/2 ounce lead drop shot weights, a lot cheaper than tungsten.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    A friend of mine turned me on to using a 2/0 offset worm hook for drop shotting. It puts the hook point farther back on the bait than a circle hook. My set up is 20# PP braid and 10# to 15# flouro leader with a 5/8ths ounce lead weight. 1/2 ounce or less lead weights are not legal here so I use > 1/2 ounce lead drop shot weights, a lot cheaper than tungsten.
    Where do you get your dropshot weights, if you don't mind me asking? Can't use any lead weights under 1 oz here in NH, so been trying to find a bunch of steel and tungsten alternatives. Problem is I find a couple of companies I like, and then they never have the sizes I need/want in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Where do you get your dropshot weights, if you don't mind me asking? Can't use any lead weights under 1 oz here in NH, so been trying to find a bunch of steel and tungsten alternatives. Problem is I find a couple of companies I like, and then they never have the sizes I need/want in stock.
    I have found 5/8 ounce lead drop shot weights on ebay and some I got from a friend. I have 5/8 and 3/4 lead DS weights. That's why I rarely use a C-rig, I just use a bigger DS weight.

Not using lead weights under 1 ounce would be rough. If a jig can be used under 1 ounce, maybe get a lead jig and bend the barb or cut the hook off except for the straight shank to minimize getting snagged. If the F&W checks your rig, tell them there was a hook there!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12