Ranger Trailer Surge Brake Issue

I'm sure this has been discussed before, however, I could not find a specific answer to my issue.

I just recently purchased this boat and trailer. So I don't have any real history on this trailer.

The trailer is a 95 tandem axle with what I believe is the A60 actuator. When I take off and brake the surge appears to be banging both forward and back. Not knowing very much about this breaking system, the only thing I knew to do was look inside the brake reservoir...EMPTY.

Please tell me what my next steps should be. I looked at a few videos and have an idea, however, I look to BBC as a place to really get the help and answers needed.
    If anyone is local to the Marietta, GA area and knows about this stuff I would be willing to pay for their time.

Thank you for your time
    1995 Ranger 491VS
    2023 Yamaha SHO 225HP
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Garmin106sv with Livescope
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112

Sounds like You may have a leak in the system. Start by filling the resivoir with Dot 3 Brake fluid. Then you'll need to bleed each caliper. There are many videos on this on You Tube. Having a friend to help you makes it a 1000x easier. Once you get it filled and bled, start looking for a leak. Repair the leak and fill and bleed again. You should be able to feel the brakes working as you drive and come to a stop. Don't be too surprised if your Master Cylinder and Brake actuator need rebuilding if it hasn't been done in a while. After all, the trailer's a '95 !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Since it may need a rebuild due to age...you think I should just go ahead and replace the entire actuator? Of course, I still have to find the leak and repair it before replacing.
    What kind of job is it to replace the actuator?
    1995 Ranger 491VS
    2023 Yamaha SHO 225HP
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR93 View Post
    Since it may need a rebuild due to age...you think I should just go ahead and replace the entire actuator? Of course, I still have to find the leak and repair it before replacing.
    What kind of job is it to replace the actuator?
    Replacing it is no big deal unless the pins are rusted badly. If you can’t tap them back and forth, starting to soak them with penetrating oil will be good.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    I am going to replace the Actuator...any recommendations. Is one brand of actuator better than another? Thank you for your input!
    1995 Ranger 491VS
    2023 Yamaha SHO 225HP
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I am going to replace the Actuator...any recommendations. Is one brand of actuator better than another? Thank you for your input!
    Your tongue is made specifically for the A60.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Like others have said, your surge brake is an A60 so stick with that. I'm in the process of repairing mine also. I had the same problem with the banging/leak. Everything I researched and read suggested to replace the entire assembly. Otherwise you'll be chasing your tail trying to replace just one piece here, one piece there. Most trailer manufacturers sell the rebuilds as a kit that usually includes everything you need. Mine came with the actuator, all bolts and hardware, cables and bushings. I had to beat one of my bolts out with a punch! Since you're rebuilding, you may want to look down stream at all the brake lines, calipers, pads etc. Good luck. My parts just arrived yesterday so I'm in the same boat...pun intended!

8. Member
    Is there a difference in the A 60 actuator if used for disc brakes vs. drum brakes.
    I have disc brakes. Any recommendations. Thanks.
    1995 Ranger 491VS
    2023 Yamaha SHO 225HP
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Is there a difference in the A 60 actuator if used for disc brakes vs. drum brakes.
    I have disc brakes. Any recommendations. Thanks.
    Yes. Also number of brake axles.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Thank you for the info...I have 1 brake axle and they are disc.
    1995 Ranger 491VS
    2023 Yamaha SHO 225HP
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Hummingbird Helix 12
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112

11. Member
    The only difference between a single disc or drum, is the solenoid which is necessary on a disc, but not on a drum.

12. Member
    I am having the same issue with my trailer. The master cylinder in the tongue is bad. You have to replace the master cylinder and rebuild or replace the calipers/wheel cylinders at the wheels. This is where I plan on getting my parts from for mine https://www.boattrailerparts.com/Boa...ors_c_395.html Now brakes are not the hardest thing to do but if your not sure then I would recommend you have someone perform this repair for you.