Thread: Vault Hubs

Vault Hubs

PM schedules?
    Anyone have problems with them in the first 4 years of ownership?
    Anyone in Dallas TX service them?
    thanks for any feedback.

I have a 2011 Marine Master trailer with the Vault hubs, and have had no problems. I asked the same question some time ago, was told "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it."

My vault hubs are 8 yrs old and going strong.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    OK, thanks!
    My only concern is on the driver side the hubs are clean and can still see the vault logo on the hub, on the other side the logo is blacked out. No grease is on the wheel, though.
    Any thoughts? does that sound like they are leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by davisx View Post
    OK, thanks!
    My only concern is on the driver side the hubs are clean and can still see the vault logo on the hub, on the other side the logo is blacked out. No grease is on the wheel, though.
    Any thoughts? does that sound like they are leaking?
    If there is go grease slung out on the wheel, I can't believe that they are leaking.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I don't have Vault hubs but have the literature about them. I check my hub seals when the boat is off of the trailer. If you don't have grease/oil leaking from the front or rear of the hub, all should good as long as the hubs aren't running hot.

You can service Vault hubs yourself.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I don't have Vault hubs but have the literature about them. I check my hub seals when the boat is off of the trailer. If you don't have grease/oil leaking from the front or rear of the hub, all should good as long as the hubs aren't running hot.

You can service Vault hubs yourself.
    Very good advice.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    I wouldn't touch them unless you see grease slinging. Opened mine up after 10 yrs and they were fine. The wear rings were starting to get a groove but nothing was leaking. I went ahead and replaced the rings,seals and caps. Prob 60,000 miles on trailer when I checked them.

9. Member
    Best way to check is looking to see if the black vault plastic is sticking out at least 1/8 to 1/4inch. Then you know if the vault is pressurized. I ran mine 9 years and all bearings were still greased good. Wear rings still looked new. O rings on back were all cracked,but seals still good. Both my back axle brake calibers were both sticking, which caused some heating which can cause some grease to leak. I replaced everything, calibers, brake pads, all bearings, seals, wear rings, o rings. Flushed brake fluild including new Goodyear endurance tires. Figured at 10yrs it was time to replace everything.

10. Member
    Same thing happened to me billproxs. Sticking caliper caused some extreme heat so out of worry I opened them all up to check on them along with replacing both calipers and pads.

11. Member
    it was hard finding everything I needed, but during my replacement i made some utube videos showing how I did it all and all part numbers. under utube fishing

12. Member
    The hubs don’t seem to fail, what does fail after 6-8 years are the calipers. They start sticking and thus burn the bearings out. I thought my hubs were failing last year but it was just that my calipers were not working properly. When it comes to them though, I agree if it’s not broke don’t fix it. If one does break, buy a new ufp vault pre packed hub with pre packed brake pads and just slide it on

Anybody travel with a spare vault hub? I would want to have a spare in case of an issue with 1 of the hubs. Is this even plausible? Anybody know where to grab a spare hub assembly for these vault systems?
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

14. Member
    The only difference between the Vault hub and the Bearing Buddy style hub is the Vault bearing protector and the Vault hybrid oil. The hub, bearings and rear double lip seal are standard parts available from any trailer supply store. For backup, carry a Bearing Buddy style bearing protector and a tube of Lucas Red bearing grease. If you are on the road and your Vault hub starts leaking excessively, simply take a hammer and a block of wood. Remove the Vault bearing protector and replace it with the Bearing Buddy style. Use a grease gun and fill the hub with the Lucas Red via the zerk fitting until its full. The Lucas Red is a thicker grease, will stop leaking, and is compatible with the Vault hybrid oil. Don't blow out the rear seal by overfilling. You can run with this setup for the next 6 months, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by avalanche03 View Post
    The only difference between the Vault hub and the Bearing Buddy style hub is the Vault bearing protector and the Vault hybrid oil. The hub, bearings and rear double lip seal are standard parts available from any trailer supply store. For backup, carry a Bearing Buddy style bearing protector and a tube of Lucas Red bearing grease. If you are on the road and your Vault hub starts leaking excessively, simply take a hammer and a block of wood. Remove the Vault bearing protector and replace it with the Bearing Buddy style. Use a grease gun and fill the hub with the Lucas Red via the zerk fitting until its full. The Lucas Red is a thicker grease, will stop leaking, and is compatible with the Vault hybrid oil. Don't blow out the rear seal by overfilling. You can run with this setup for the next 6 months, if necessary.
    Excellent! thank you!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

16. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    Anybody travel with a spare vault hub? I would want to have a spare in case of an issue with 1 of the hubs. Is this even plausible? Anybody know where to grab a spare hub assembly for these vault systems?
    Best to carry and entire hub and spindle assy. If you trash a bearing then it's highly likely you wiped the spindle. Not very common that you would find a shop that has your specific axle parts on hand.

17. Member
    Guys I just took my bearing cap off. The oil is obviously burnt. The color is dark grey and has a odor that feels me something isnt right. Could just be the oil. Any suggestions on grease replacement

18. Member
    There were much more recent threads you could have bumped.....but anyways, the Vault grease (I assume that's what you're referring to here) is a dark grey or black to begin with and not as thick as your typical bearing grease(UFP refers to it as a "hybrid oil"). If you are used to Red and Tacky or anything similar, it will definitely look like you have an issue. If you stick with the Vault system, order the Vault grease for it and replace. Note that you also need to replace any cap that is removed as they are one time use, per UFP.

19. Member
    Yeah could've bumped something more recent. Okay so I will contact them.