Thread: Help needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help needed

This weekend coming home from Clarks Hill, my right rear trailer bearing destroyed itself. I was stranded on the highway, unbelievable how I got the boat and trailer back to my house in Athens. So I pulled the rotor/hub, its toast! No trace of any bearings. Today I tried ordering parts. The rotor/hub is a 1999 UFP, as is the axel. The local marina helped me identify my rotor as a 3255 UFP. Well that calls for an outer bearing of 1.1/16"ID and inner bearing of 1 3/8" id. We ordered a kit. I took a 1 3/8" bearing home and it don't fit on the inside. The trailer was made in 1999 by MFI. I called them , they are gone. By my measurements, the inside taper bearing, (perhaps the taper goes from about 1.45" to 1.625". Problem is I can't find any UFP rotor/hub that matches. I m worried what I bought today doesn't fit. 1 3/8" isn't going to work. So, any help is appreciated. I can't seem to reach UFP/Dexter for advice either. The boat is a trition TR21 totally restored. The trailer is a 1999 built by MFI. Anyone have a similar trailer that can help me with a disc brake rotor and bearing identification. The trailer model is TB-70-21. Axles GAWR is 4100, 14" tires. Trailer capacity is 5000lbs. Two axle trailer with disc brakes on the rear axle. Seriously, I didn't think this would be this hard to match up. Oh, its grease bearings, (buddy bearings were installed)

Worse case, who would you recommend in my area to do service work.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Give Dennis Backus a call tomorrow at UFP/Dexter. He’s active on the boards here, but probably faster to call. 931-967-5101 x 25016
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Try looking at the bearings from the opposite side. They usually have a part number stamped on the bearing and race,

4. Member
    Nothing left of the bearings for me to see. That's the problem.

5. Member
    I will call Dennis....Thank you so much

6. Member
    L68149 is the correct inner bearing on the MFI tandem in 1999. You may have to dress the spindle with a file or emery cloth.

7. Member
    No More DEXTER....Retired..lol

Quote Originally Posted by MYRX View Post
    Nothing left of the bearings for me to see. That's the problem.
    I think Sunny Jim is talking about removing one of the other hubs and get the bearing and race numbers from the parts. Since one of your bearings failed, it would be a good time to remove all of the hubs, inspect the spindles/bearings/races/wear rings, replace the seals and any other parts.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. Member
    L68149 bearing with L68110 race on the inner....L44649 with L44610 race on the outer bearing

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DABS View Post
    L68149 bearing with L68110 race on the inner....L44649 with L44610 race on the outer bearing
    Congrats on your retirement Dennis. Glad to see you're still on here helping us!
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

11. Member
    Thanks for the help! I will get the correct bearings ordered. I want to obtain the proper UFP 10" rotor as well. Can someone verify the correct rotor part number as well. It's a 10" grease filled. I think the number stamped on the old one is 3255 but could be 3253? It's worn out. Guess I am somewhat confused because yesterday I was told the by the representative helping me at the marine store that the UFP 3255 took a 1 3/8" bearing.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Thanks for the help! I will get the correct bearings ordered. I want to obtain the proper UFP 10" rotor as well. Can someone verify the correct rotor part number as well. It's a 10" grease filled. I think the number stamped on the old one is 3255 but could be 3253? It's worn out. Guess I am somewhat confused because yesterday I was told the by the representative helping me at the marine store that the UFP 3255 took a 1 3/8" bearing.
    Inside of your rotor it will say either "MIN THK 22.40 MM" or "MIN THK 17.0 MM". Which is it?

I honestly think the best thing you can do is pull the other side and take a look. You had a failure so you really need to check the other wheel anyway.
    Last edited by CatFan; 02-27-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    nothing else matters.​

13. Banned
    Congratulations Dennis. Were gonna miss you.

14. Member
    It says MIN THK 22.40MM and yes I will pull the other side.

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It says MIN THK 22.40MM and yes I will pull the other side.
    So that says you have DB42 brakes. Everything I see says the same numbers Dennis posted and that the outer bearing is 1-1/16" and inner is 1-3/8", but your measurements sound more like what you'd see on a much bigger axle than a bass boat would normally have. Is this a 5 lug hub? UFP also makes a 1-3/4" to 1-1/4" spindle for heavier axles. Can you crawl under the trailer and look at the tags on both axles?
    nothing else matters.​

16. Member
    I will go home at lunch and crawl under the trailer. I promise a 1 3/8" inner doesn't fit. However the outer is 1-1/16" for sure. This is a 5 bolt. There is a tag confirming the axle is a Trailer Buddy by UFP. What is weird is the axel rating of 4100. I have not come cross that before. PM me an email and I will send you pictures I took. Only the rear axel has brakes. My rotor measures a true 10" across the rear.

17. Member
    a single axle 4200 lb will have a straight spindle and take the L68149 bearings both inner and outer. This is the only two options UFP made on the five lug wheel. If yours is bigger, it will be six lug. An easy way to check for whether your axle is 4200 lb or 3700 lb would be to simply measure across the diameter of the protector on the outside. The 3700 lb axle only used the 2" diameter protector and the 4200 lb only uses the 2 3/8" diameter protector.

Quote Originally Posted by DABS View Post
    No More DEXTER....Retired..lol
    Congrats on retiring, glad you are still helping out here.

I've learned a lot about my hubs, brakes, bearings/races, etc from Dennis and others on this forum. I have no problem tearing them down and getting it back together. Hope I can pass along what I learned!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

19. Member
    thanks...every day is Saturday...lol

20. Member
    Thanks Bob. When I get back to my old stomping grounds, I will look you up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast