Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chronic wasting disease found in Mississippi...

MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I was at a workshop on Friday, sitting at a table with William McKinley (MDWFP's Deer Program Coordinator) and another biologist when William got the phone call from Iowa State's Vet Lab confirming the positive CWD sample from MS... Ironically, the Manager of the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission's Research Division had just finished a presentation on the CWD problem in their state.

Given the location from which the MS sample came (very close proximity to MS and Yazoo Rivers and frequent seasonal flooding), anything's possible... We'd better hope & pray it's an isolated case.

Oh, and by all means, let's keep "feeding" deer.
    Last edited by hatcreek; 02-12-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    Who controls John Gill?

3. Moderator
    They were talking about it today on super talk ms, not good.

No idea if this will ever publicly come out, but through a network of taxidermist, it was mentioned that infected northern deer that were killed by MS residents on hunting trips up north, unknowingly brought infected deer hides and heads to a taxidermist for shoulder mounts. The remains were discarded in the wild for coyotes and buzzards to finish off. Again, no idea if this is true or not, but the conversation mentioned is another good reason to go ahead and completely cape out (head and all) your deer before transporting across state lines.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

If they were not tested how do they know for sure that they were infected? I've dealt with taxidermists in the past that wouldn't touch a bobcat without a predator tag.. This was years ago... You had to call the state and get a tag to keep with the the animal.. Kinda makes me wonder about the taxidermist...if true... If he knowingly took in animals from States on the list that he wasn't supposed to..

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    The prions (misshapen/defective proteins) responsible for CWD and other such diseases (think, "Mad Cow") are scary little bastages. They spread by causing previously normal proteins to replicate themselves and are damn near indestructible, surviving even incineration in some cases.

Here's some light reading...

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factshe...ng_disease.pdf

Not even the conventional wisdom of transporting only fully dried skulls/antlers is a 100% guarantee against this stuff.
    Who controls John Gill?

Alabama banned importation of Mississippi whitetails carcasses...
    http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...r_mobile_index

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    ***UPDATE***

Announced yesterday, 7 March...

Jackson – The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks began Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) sampling efforts on February 23, 2018 in the 5-mile CWD Containment Zone. Sixty-four samples were collected and submitted for testing. The results were returned on March 5 indicating all samples were “not detected for CWD”. In addition, numerous samples from purported sick and road-killed deer have been submitted for testing and these results will be shared upon receipt.

DNA analysis was conducted on the CWD-positive buck that was collected in Issaquena County on January 25, 2018. Results suggest the buck’s genetics match nearby free-range populations. MDWFP will continue to collect samples from the CWD Management Zone in an effort to determine the extent and prevalence of CWD in local deer populations.

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wil...ults-returned/

Good news, so far.
    Who controls John Gill?

Yes it is..

Jonathan Hillstrand

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Looks like another one.

Pontotoc County, this time (that's a heckuva hike from Issaquena Co.)...

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wil...e-tailed-deer/
    Who controls John Gill?

It sure has messed up my routine of hunting in Tennessee... not being able to bring a deer home across state lines makes it a pain in the butt...

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    It sure has messed up my routine of hunting in Tennessee... not being able to bring a deer home across state lines makes it a pain in the butt...
    Same here for me. I've hunted West Virginia for over 30 years and Ohio put into affect the law of not transporting deer from other states unless all the meat is taking off the deer and sealed in bags. We do butcher our own deer usually once home and having to do it there makes it a little tougher.
    Last edited by RANGER487; 10-31-2018 at 06:18 AM.

13. Member
    ME IFW announced recently that CWD was confirmed in Quebec just over the border from Vermont so it has arrived in the northeast. Now to see how well the spreading can be controlled. With the help of border patrol, it might be kept out of New England. Might not.

Anyone know the history of CWD. I've been hearing about it for the last 15 years or so, but is this something that has always been around that comes and goes and populations increase and then kind of goes away for a while and comes back? My area has had some cases recently as well. Just wondering if it is natural that it spreads like this or did we create it with all of our feeding, mineral blocks, and food plots that we use now.

15. Joe4d
    well not so much create,, but all the unnatural feeding is helping it spread.. along with other diseases.

16. Member
    I don't think you can overlook the role that deer farming and high-fence operations have (probably) had on the spread of CWD. I know the deer farmers cry foul and say "prove it" but really it defies logic to give them a free pass. The conditions that exist on deer farms are ideal for CWD (like high density and shared food source) and it's been found on farms many times. Then if you sell any of the infected deer to high-fence hunting operations, ship breeding stock, or bottle the doe pee to be used by hunters all over the country, why wouldn't they be a prime vector for spreading the disease?

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I don't think you can overlook the role that deer farming and high-fence operations have (probably) had on the spread of CWD. I know the deer farmers cry foul and say "prove it" but really it defies logic to give them a free pass. The conditions that exist on deer farms are ideal for CWD (like high density and shared food source) and it's been found on farms many times. Then if you sell any of the infected deer to high-fence hunting operations, ship breeding stock, or bottle the doe pee to be used by hunters all over the country, why wouldn't they be a prime vector for spreading the disease?
    That's were they found it in Ohio.

18. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Another possible case in Marshall County...

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wil...e-tailed-deer/

Like the old adage says; the more we go looking for it (increased sampling over years past), the more we're going to find it.
    Who controls John Gill?

Hatcreek, do deer show signs of CWD in the early stages? Also, is it confined only to cervids or can it be passed to humans? I shot a doe last weekend that was nice and healthy looking but it still makes me wonder.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Hatcreek, do deer show signs of CWD in the early stages? Also, is it confined only to cervids or can it be passed to humans? I shot a doe last weekend that was nice and healthy looking but it still makes me wonder.
    They don't show signs until the latter stages of the disease. AG&FC has testing sites listed on their website if you are concerned and want some testing but you have to have the head and 6" of the spine below the skull. There is also a map on there showing were all the cases in Arkansas were harvested. Furthermore, there has been no scientific evidence to show it can be passed to humans. It is only contained to cervids (deer and elk). It really sucks. I really look forward to deer season each year and we eat of lot of deer meat in my house. I hate the fact that we have this disease in our state and I see no way it will not spread even if we hunters don't carry deer across county lines and dispose of carcasses with great care the deer themselves will eventually spread it through their natural interactions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast