84 Champion with 235hp Evinrude Low Compression

Hello ChampioNman, my name is Jerry and I am a new Champion owner. I was referred to you from the Champion Forum about my New to me 84 Champion that has a 235 Evinrude with 5 cylinders with 115 compression and the number 1 cylinder with 95. I was considering a overhaul before the season and just wanted to get some feedback if that would be the best route to take. I was figuring that number one cylinder is have ring blow-by and I thought also maybe the head gasket? what are your thoughts. Thanks.

2. Member
    If its running good, I would keep running it.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Jerry,
    I'd run the motor up to temp first and then perform another compression test. If it remains the same then take the head off and on the right side of the cylinder remove the bypass cover. Then rotate the flywheel by hand so you can inspect both the piston and cylinder wall. Worse it is going to cost you is a head gasket and a bypass cover gasket. But you'll have a better idea of what you are looking at. If you decide to go the refurbish route parts are still available, you will have to tear the block down though. Order a downloadable manual from the link above in the stickies.

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Great old motor. Stout.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Member
    Great to be part of the gang! Thanks ChampioNman I will give it a shot.

6. Member
    Finally got some good weather to run the 235. Boy not sure what technician ran the compression test but he was all screwed up. Did what you said ChampioNman and let the engine warm up for about 20 mins and then ran the comp test. It read 90 on all cylinders except no. 4 which was 85. Not sure where the 115 came from and the 95 on cylinder 1. I just need to give it a good tune up and replace the cylinder 1 coil because the ground wire is hanging on by a couple of strains. Thanks for the help.