Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Axle and Brake Replacement on EZLoader/TI Trailer

I need to do a complete replacement of the braking system on this trailer. Its is a 1994 tandem axle EZLoader/TI Trailer GVWR 4400#

Originally it came with a A60 actuator and drum brakes.

UFP Model A60 Actuator:

Original UFP hub:

Original UFP backing Plate

All of these parts have long ago corroded and the brake assemblies have been removed. Also, years ago I burned a bearing on the passenger rear. The spindle was damaged as was the hub. The shop that did the repair replaced the original hub with one that had slightly different specs (it uses a slightly larger O.D. grease seal and a L68111 inner cup. The inner cone and the outer cup/cone are the same as the other hubs; L68149 and L44610/L44649. I'm not sure if they replaced the spindle as it still has scars on its non-bearing surface.

Passenger rear spindle and replacement hub:

Either way, I have always had problems at that location since the repair. (when I do my yearly bearing re-packing, there is evidence of water in the grease and the inner and outer bearing always appear slightly burned at this hub whereas the other bearing sets always look great) Sorry for all of that, but the bottom line is I plan to either replace this spindle or the axle entirely when I do this brake replacement.

Can anyone identify the original drum brake assembly or its current replacement part?

2" square drop axle. Under slung mount. 3500#. Track length (hub face): 87.5" Spring centers: 73.25" Overall Length 92"

Would anyone know what axle I need to get for this trailer?

Can I get a kit or complete set: axle and brake assemblies? Drum or disk?

I would also like to convert to a disk brake system and am wondering how much that would cost. Right now I have one estimate to replace everything (actuator, lines, drum brake assemblies and replace the bad spindle and old hub for about $1200 including labor. I'm guessing to do all of that but with disk brakes, it would be about a grand more.

Is that about right?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by 86 inches; 02-12-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I wouldn’t expect disk brakes to cost anymore than the drums.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I wouldn’t expect disk brakes to cost anymore than the drums.
    Look up etrailer.com. I replaced my whole brake system on my ez loader with parts from them. Think total was less then $400 for rotor/hubs and new calipers and pads.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

That would be nice. What do you think it would cost to replace everything with a disk system? I'm guessing you would recommend disk over drum?

Which disk brakes would you recommend?

I called EZLoader Custom. They no longer have my axle and would have to make one for about 500 dollars and 5-6 weeks. I'm hoping I can save some time and $ by replacing the bad spindle. Gotta find an axle guy, I guess.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I called EZLoader Custom. They no longer have my axle and would have to make one for about 500 dollars and 5-6 weeks. I'm hoping I can save some time and $ by replacing the bad spindle. Gotta find an axle guy, I guess.
    If you can find somebody to replace the spindle right, you should be good. But you want to be sure you get somebody who knows what they are doing. If they don't get it on right, the tire will wear quickly.

Just from numbers off the top of my head, disks are going to cost about $300 per axle plus $190 for the actuator plus about $50 for brake lines, so roughly $850 for parts. It MIGHT only cost a couple of hundred more for a new axle with disk brakes installed to replace the bad one. I don't know for sure, but find out before committing to anything. I'd rather pay that for a new axle than mess with having a spindle welded on. It's not rocket science, but there are a lot of people who think they know what they are doing but don't.

You would have to get a new axle painted.

I'd crawl under the trailer and look for a tag on the center of one of the axles with details about it before plunging too far.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If you can find somebody to replace the spindle right, you should be good. But you want to be sure you get somebody who knows what they are doing. If they don't get it on right, the tire will wear quickly.

Just from numbers off the top of my head, disks are going to cost about $300 per axle plus $190 for the actuator plus about $50 for brake lines, so roughly $850 for parts. It MIGHT only cost a couple of hundred more for a new axle with disk brakes installed to replace the bad one. I don't know for sure, but find out before committing to anything. I'd rather pay that for a new axle than mess with having a spindle welded on. It's not rocket science, but there are a lot of people who think they know what they are doing but don't.

You would have to get a new axle painted.

I'd crawl under the trailer and look for a tag on the center of one of the axles with details about it before plunging too far.
    I crawled under there and looked everywhere. No identifier. I'm thinking I might have to take it to a trailer repair place.

Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I crawled under there and looked everywhere. No identifier. I'm thinking I might have to take it to a trailer repair place.

Thanks for all the help.
    Send Dennis (Dabs) a message, he can probably help you out.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

10. Banned
    That spindle in the pic doesn't look too bad. How does the bearing fit.? You can replace the spindo seal where the seal rides. If the Brg. is a little loose take center punch and punch around the diameter of the spindle to tighten it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    That spindle in the pic doesn't look too bad. How does the bearing fit.? You can replace the spindo seal where the seal rides. If the Brg. is a little loose take center punch and punch around the diameter of the spindle to tighten it up.
    Yeah there is a tiny bit of rock. If I over-tighten the spindle nut it disappears but then it's too tight.

12. Banned
    Center punch around the spindle where the brg. rides. put a bunch all the way around then tap the brg. on and off and check the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Center punch around the spindle where the brg. rides. put a bunch all the way around then tap the brg. on and off and check the fit.
    If you were here I'd have you give it a go. Not sure I can do that without some supervision. Thanks.

I did a couple of days ago. I suspect he’s busy.

Yeah. I looked at Etrailer and Eastern.

I dropped it off at Auto Safety House in Phoenix. Like CatFan, they don't recommend spindle replacement. They are a Dexter UFP dealer and they have a huge warehouse full of parts so maybe they can find a matching axle. I asked for a quote for an axle replacement as well as a quote for a complete replacement of the braking system for both drum and disk. I was hoping DABS would somehow know what I needed. I measured my axle but I don't have confidence in the numbers. They won't matter anyhow as ASH will have to pull their own.

16. Member
    I bought an axle online last year, same specs as yours and it was right around 360 dollars, included new hubs. I bought 3500# 2x2 galvanized drop axle

I buy from EZ Loader TI Trailer in Midway Ar. I would think 500.00 would cover the cost of a complete axle. I would also replace the shock and the master cylinder