Another stereo question.

I've been looking on the web for info about putting a stereo in an xb2003. Most all the pics that are posted I can't see due to some "enable third party hosting" block that I know nothing about.
    First thing, I can't decide on a gauge radio or a single din. I have 3 non marine single din radios as test units that I can try out.
    Second is speaker placement. My boat already has enough drill holes I really don't want to cut a hole for a speaker. I don't have a bench seat so I thought of building a box with a cushioned seat top and a separate back rest. Along the front of the box I could mount 2 or 4 6x9's laid down long ways.
    I'm not worried at all about being able to hear it while sitting still but could it be heard clearly running at maybe 50-60mph?
    Anyone have any experience with this ?

Here is mine. I have no issues hearing it at 60 or 80 or 90 or faster. That is one perk to the center console. I have 4 speakers. Two in front and two in the back. Mine is 100% Bluetooth and controlled by the small rectangle to the left of the steering wheel.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

3. Member
    Ok thats pretty simple and loud enough to hear while running. I like it. I kinda want to mount some front speakers like yours but just a bit leary of cutting the holes.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Here is mine. I have no issues hearing it at 60 or 80 or 90 or faster. That is one perk to the center console. I have 4 speakers. Two in front and two in the back. Mine is 100% Bluetooth and controlled by the small rectangle to the left of the steering wheel.

Dude... what's up with that Faux ass wood dash lol. Shoulda fixed that by now!
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

I agree it has to go. It’s on the list for this year. It will be done with several other things. Too busy with other boat projects.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I agree it has to go. It’s on the list for this year. It will be done with several other things. Too busy with other boat projects.
    I know... it's tough to find more hours in the day.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

7. Member
    Do you have an amp powering your 4 speakers or just the stereo?

8. Member
    Big o tom.. i have an old car with a totally Hidden Soundsystem ,no head unit at all ..I have a Bluetooth dongle ,an audio control Line driver to step up the input voltage to 2 amps.driving 4 speakers and a subwoofer..it sounds awesome. Everything is driven off of my phone ..I have about 1000 songs stored on there and also stream Pandora most often. ..you could do the same in a boat .Also you could build a box right in front of your feet in the bow to avoid big holes also. Could mount your amp to the box. I think if I ever get around to putting a sound system on my boat I will do something like that ...River rocket..Just curious what do you plan on doing with the faux wood ?– I would like to do something with mine as well ..wondering if you could scuff it up with a scotch bright pad,primer and paint it ? Would like to hear some options on this besides buying all new stuff .

9. Member
    I'm going to use the factory stereo location if I go with a single din radio, if not I plan on mounting a flasher where the speedo is and putting a gauge radio in the flasher location by the key switch. For the speakers I'll build a back seat with just enough storage to mount some speakers.

The stereo I have comes with a small amp. It’s mounted under the dash.
    I will be painting mine. The carbon from Allison looks ok but I won’t pay for it. That and they no longer have all the parts.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    What kind of speakers are those? They look like polk mm651's to me.

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Before you buy shoot me a PM
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0