How long to build a rod?

I want to build a couple rods before the season starts. How long can I realistically expect each rod to take on the build for a new guy? I'm wanting to build something like a 7'3 or 7'6 whopper plopper rod and another similar sized frog/topwater rod.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    Once you get all your parts you should be able to prep and build your handle in about 3 hours for a first timer assuming you are using pre built handles, some are more adept than others so it can be shorter or longer. After getting the handle together and glued up you can start wrapping the guides on after setting over night. Some glues are faster drying so you could possibly start wrapping after a few hours. I would say you could wrap the guides in a couple hours for a first timer again some skill levels differ. That's basically it except for finish unless you want some thread art and that can be simple or time consuming depending on what you want, if you use something like Flex coat high build you should get by with 2 coats 24 hours apart. You will have to most likely take a break when wrapping as it can be tedious the first time. There is really no pin point time frame as some are more adept than others. Take it slow and shoot to have it done in 2 weekends or 4 days. Have your second rod parts ready to go so if you get tired while wrapping you can work on the handle to break up the process. You will find that to just sit down and spend 8 or 10 hours building will get old really fast. Most of us will usually have several rods going in different stages to help break the process up. For reference i can put together the preformed handle in about an hour, layout for the guides and wrap them in about an hour and a half, put the first coat of finish on in about five minutes then the last coat 18 to 24 hours later. 24 hours later the rod is ready to go. Keep in mind i have been doing this close to 40 years and there are people faster than i am. If you start getting frustrated, walk away for a bit. Don't work through mealtime and take some breaks. It is supposed to be enjoyable so don't burn yourself out. You should have plenty of time to get em both done before the season in Nebraska.

3. Member
    When I first started, it was taking me 8-10 hours total time (not counting in-between drying times). What took me the longest was the guide wrapping - and if you're anal, you will take a LOT of time. Now, it takes me about 5 minutes a guide, wrapping time, so about an hour for the whole rod. Definitely not taking me as long as at first, but now I'm doing more elaborate custom cork work. I swear it seems I take way too much time aligning guides - hope someday i find an easy way to do this!

I like cork and it takes a bit to use it. I like to glue it let it sit for a day or two then turn it and glue it on the rod. I then do the reel seat the next day. I have just had better luck that way. I have done it all in one sitting and don't really care for that.

5. Member
    First off I wouldn't be in a hurry to get it done as quickly as possible. Rushing leads to mistakes, and in some instances work you wish you would have taken the time to do better. If you do something fast and find you aren't happy with it, you can either chalk it up as a learning experience and move on ..... or you can dwell on it and end up doing it over again. If you're a do it over again type, (like me) then the time you took to do it the first time is wasted.

I think some other aspects of building a rod have been understandably, passed over. I assume all builders check for the straightest axis and plan their guide positioning based on that? That takes time. Static load guide placement takes time. The only guide I use a measurement to place on a casting rod, is the butt guide. I use a 3 guide reduction train on casting rods so I'll eyeball the two remaining reduction train guides, then all other guides are placed using static load. That is not a quick process. Personally I spend at least a half an hour on placing the guides.

Then there is eyeballing the guides up to make sure they're straight prior to wrapping. Then eyeballing them up prior to applying finish. Depending upon how well you can do the latter two processes, you could be talking 5 minutes each, or 30 minutes each. I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but my point is.

Don't be in a hurry to get it done. Be in a hurry to get it done right. And that means if it takes you 4 hours to wrap 10 guides, then it takes you 4 hours. You're new ..... you can't go by times people that have been doing it for a while can do it in.

6. Member
    I happen to hit an actual rod builder at a perfect time and got a custom built rod as a gift for a friend after another 'rod builder' flaked on me. Custom colors, chosen strength and length, painted inscription, ordered and all done in about a week. Made the gifted one cry so it was worthwhile! It was so nice a rod I had to force myself to give it away. Would have had some others made but the builder moved to Alaska.

7. Member
    Assuming I have all the components, it usually takes me 3 nights (building/gluing the handle, wrapping the guides, and putting finish on the guides). Sometimes the first night might be gluing cork rings together. I've also wrapped and put the epoxy finish on the same night. A few hours each night with breaks in between.

Then I wait at least 3 days before using the rod. Some epoxy finishes dry faster than others.

8. Member
    Anyone tried the CRB laser alignment tool they have for aligning guides?
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

9. Member
    How long depends on a lot of things. If I'm building a casting rod with Winn Grips or pre made cork, I can have the whole thing on the turner in about 3 hours and that's giving the 15 min epoxy for the grip, butt and seat 45 mins to set. If I'm using cork rings then the handle and seat take about an hour to ream, set up and glue the first night. Then I usually wait 48 hours before I shape which takes about 45 mins (I shape by hand with a rasp, file and sanding blocks). An hour and a half to wrap and 20 mins to put on the thread finish.

When I first started it would take a lot longer. Probably at least 3 hours to wrap guides and get them straight. I eyeball the guides as I go. Once the handle is done I put on the tip and make sure I get it perfectly straight then I start wrapping from the stripper up and gunsight each guide to align with the tip. I build using the spine, not the straightest axis...just how I like to do it. Doing 1 guide at a time I've found to be the best way for me. I also build 90% of my casting rods Revolver style so it's also easier for me to eyeball the transition guides. Setting up a spinning rod takes a little more time for me usually.

I pretty much only use a single color thread, maybe throw a trim band in once in a while. Fancy threadwork can be really cool but it's just not my thing.

Like what everyone else said though, take your time at first. It's not a contest. Sometimes a rod will take me weeks to make but that's just because I don't always have a ton of free time. 15 minutes here or there to wrap a few guides, file some guide feet, ream some cork.

10. Member
    I am working on my very first rod (Turnkey kit from Mudhole) and everyone has great advice.
    It didnt take too long to do the handle and reel seat. I spent most of my time getting the guides in the correct spot.
    Taped them up and put a reel on to go out and cast a jig. I highly recommend this step.
    I wrapped all my guides and then ran into a rod builder at a local show and got a really good tip about back wrapping the micro guides so I re did all my guides.
    I just finished all guides, trim work and decals last night so I am ready for top coating my wraps.
    All in all, its my first rod and I wanted to take my time. (a couple weekends so far)
    I didnt want it to be a typical first rod build. I think it is turning out good so far and can't wait to use it.
    Good luck with your build.
    I am guessing that my next one will take half the time for sure.
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I like cork and it takes a bit to use it. I like to glue it let it sit for a day or two then turn it and glue it on the rod. I then do the reel seat the next day. I have just had better luck that way. I have done it all in one sitting and don't really care for that.
    Me too. I do it in stages.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    i have, not impressed. Have to push it to one side to get it to line up. Even with levels and the like never seems to line up

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    expensive paper weight. haven't heard one good word about it.

That thing is a joke.. wish i had passed on it

15. Member
    I will give you 2 good things about the laser tool, tape measure works, I use the lasers holder to align multi piece and Skelton seats. Other than that not worth it.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S