Anyone ever try a Pro ET prop on a xb21?

Was looking at one online, sure are a good looking prop. I ran a 32 pitch Signature series once and wasn't too impressed.

Johnny Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by atcje View Post
    Was looking at one online, sure are a good looking prop. I ran a 32 pitch Signature series once and wasn't too impressed.
    I have ran a 32 Pro Et and it ran well for me. I know it had lots of work done on it to add bow lift for a Bullet. I had the engine running lower than I do now and need to try it again and see how it does. Keep in mind i'm running 1.75's though.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

3. Member
    Johnny, what I found about those props is that they like to be run very high. They have a tendency to pull the back of the boat down.

4. Member
    Guess I'll just stick to the tried and true xob. That pro et is a work of art though, so is the hump back cleaver, I'd buy one of those just to hang on the wall just to look at.
    Last edited by atcje; 02-10-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Johnny Johnson

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I have ran several Pro ET's and my boat does not like them. I'd much rather run a Bullet Cut Performer 4.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Quote Originally Posted by atcje View Post
    Guess I'll just stick to the tried and true xob. That pro et is a work of art though, so is the hump back cleaver, I'd buy one of those just to hang on the wall just to look at.
    i have thought the same thing with the humped back cleaver.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

7. Member
    I’m running a 30P Pro ET. Declaring how good or bad is subjective so let me say what I find good and bad about the prop.
    Good: Drives great, lifts the entire boat at speeds above 60, acceleration is great, handling is excellent, looks awesome.
    Bad: Can’t go slow or it will lose bite and drop off pad terrible when trying to manuver in really rough water, hole shot requires moving start but then pops up well.
    Best attribute is the way it drives, after 85 the steering gets very light and responsive.
    Carte's Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Cartes Custom View Post
    I’m running a 30P Pro ET. Declaring how good or bad is subjective so let me say what I find good and bad about the prop.
    Good: Drives great, lifts the entire boat at speeds above 60, acceleration is great, handling is excellent, looks awesome.
    Bad: Can’t go slow or it will lose bite and drop off pad terrible when trying to manuver in really rough water, hole shot requires moving start but then pops up well.
    Best attribute is the way it drives, after 85 the steering gets very light and responsive.
    I will say I have has similar experiences. I have ran a 32 and a 30. The 30 was a rocket on my boat from holeshot to the limiter. Was not a great slow on plane prop but 30 was running about the same numbers as my 30 Promax.
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

9. Member
    I ran a 32” Pro ET not long ago. I had a horrible hole shot on my 300. A 250 should be better. There was a ton of stern lift at top speed. Overall it was a tad slower than I expected but in fairness to the prop I have some setup bugs to work out. The one thing that my setup didn’t have anything to do with the performance on was the bad hole shot and the stern lift. I’ve heard the same thing before from others but had to try it out anyway.

We had great water one day with a pro et and played some. Trim it out at 60, put on 10mph and the nose comes down, trim it out again, put on another 10mph and nose comes back down, trim it out again and some more speed, nose comes down, etc...
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

fastest my boat has ran was with a labbed 30 on my first 300XS/1.62 gears.. As mentioned above-- will lose bite at lower RPM's in rough water.
    I recently acquired a 26 Promax and a 26 pro ET -- looking for a prop to run in the mountains of New Mex.. The Pro ET was easily 5 mph faster at 5000 and 6000 RPM's

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    fastest my boat has ran was with a labbed 30 on my first 300XS/1.62 gears.. As mentioned above-- will lose bite at lower RPM's in rough water.
    I recently acquired a 26 Promax and a 26 pro ET -- looking for a prop to run in the mountains of New Mex.. The Pro ET was easily 5 mph faster at 5000 and 6000 RPM's
    Mike, Be sure to post your comparison between these two prop if you don't mind.
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Don't know if either prop is still in stock form as I bought used. Since they are 26 pitch they are going to come out quick with the 1.75's and get on limiter fast where I was running this week.. I did not time anything so it's all just how it felt to me.. Kind of hard to give a true comparison as I ran the Prosport with just myself than ran the Pro ET the next day with my partner. Started with full fuel both days but no water in wells. otherwise FULL T load..

The Prosport has a blowout ring and no vents.. It launched flatter than the ET and pulled hard all the way to 6000 -- Didn't want to hit the hard limiter so I did not run either prop past 6... On my rig the Prosport drove easier but both drove very well.. I did not try to "milk" either prop at 6000 .The Prosprt ran around 76 several times and the ET would climb to 82 MPH at 6 K..
    Even with two on board the ET felt quicker out of the hole and ran faster..It would spool up better than most over hubs in that it did not just blow out-- more like a tempered quick slip to 5 grand, then bite HARD, the nose dropped and away she went.. pulled very hard to 6.
    Some people don't like overhubs.. I have always loved them to play with !!!! Just not the best fishing prop or rough water prop.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    We had great water one day with a pro et and played some. Trim it out at 60, put on 10mph and the nose comes down, trim it out again, put on another 10mph and nose comes back down, trim it out again and some more speed, nose comes down, etc...
    I had same issue when i had a 2.5 on my xb03, always seemed to run bow flat, switched back to big ear with o/shore cut, way safer feeling ride. Dunno where i will start , with my 300pm on there this spring.

15. Member
    Tritontr21 can you tell me what your boat runs with a 30 Promax? Your gear ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Tritontr21 can you tell me what your boat runs with a 30 Promax? Your gear ratio?
    Depends on water temperature, air temperature, and loads (fuel, extra cooler, so forth) I typically run between 92-93 with 1.75 gears on the limiter. Ran 90.3 yesterday with a half tank and a passenger. Best I have seen was 93.3 but was lower than normal on fuel best I remember. I seldom run less than 1/2 tank on mine.
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

17. Member
    Thanks for the info Jay.