question on 97 pantera II

I am looking for a boat and dont mind one that needs some fixing

I came across a 1997 Basscat pantera II and it floats and is all there and has a 1985 johnson motor and trailer.

He said it could need to be wired but it works fine. I would do that anyway as I would replace all the switches and lights

Carpet is good but it needs seats and seat post

It also comes with a 36v Motor guide bow mount trolling motor

With that said if I was to get it Would plan on a repower next year

I have always liked bass cat boats and this would be a good project for me and the kids

But my fear is its to good to be true as he wants $2500 OR BEST offer

Its over 4 hrs away so what should I be asking (In detail) before driving out there

Thanks

2. Member
    Just talked to the owner, its owned by a boat dealer and comes with a inspection.

No batterys but shows compression on all cylinders and the transom was inspected and said to be solid. Was a trade in

3. Bobby8
    I used to have a 97 Pll. Ask him if it is a BassCat trailer. Is the floor in front of the seats solid. I would like to know what the hull under the bunks looked like if at all possible. I would get a ton of pics from him, add up all you want/need to fix and see how that dollar amount compares to a ready to go BassCat for sale. 97 Pll is a great boat and I loved mine.

In my opinion, as long as floor and transom are solid and the hull doesn’t seem to have any blisters or gouges that penetrate the fiberglass, I would get it. You plan on repowering and rewiring anyways, so that stuff wouldn’t matter too much to me. I would also make sure the trailer isn’t rusted. If the lights don’t work, that’s fine because rewiring the trailer is easy. I’ve never been in a PII but I love my Jaguar and when I bought it i knew I would have to redo the dash and possibly all new wiring. Along with buffing and cleaning the gel coat. Well worth it to me as I believe I got the boat for a good price and now it looks pretty good and probably worth more just because I cleaned it up. IF I’M LUCKY I’ll be putting an Ultrex and 250 SHO on at the end of the sunmer. Well at least the Ultrex, the SHO is a long shot but I have started implanting the idea in my wife’s head.
    1992 Gambler Intimidator with a 1998 Mariner Magnum EFI 225

5. Member
    I've owned two (older) BassCats. I sold both for good money because I moved to different boats. If I saw a boat like that one I'd think about investing in it, and hanging a newer motor on it if the boat itself worked out. Basscat boats were always good to me, and some day I'd like to get back in another (used) one.

6. Member
    My 1995 Pantera 2 cost me $1000 for boat and trailer from a dealer. The previous owners has a 2014 mercury on it which the dealership sold for $13000 but then had no use for the Bass Cat and I then spent another $1000 on a 1989 Mercury for it that had a bad lower unit but I had a lower that worked and fit it. Sometimes good luck shines and if you really like the boat I would definitely get it if it's solid. Good luck.

go for it