Thread: 20 HOUR SERVICE

20 HOUR SERVICE

So I took my boat in to my local Yamaha tech, very well respected, to do my 20 hour service on my sho 250 and to go over everything motor, fuel, electrical, jackplate , battery related. He found a few issues, vacuum leak, 10 micron filter lines were leaking a little, clamps not tight, bonding cable to hydraulic steering never tightened down, so keep a eye on these things guys. But the big issue is he called me about an hour after I dropped it off to tell me the prop shaft had never been greased before the prop was installed(by dealer) and that the thrust washer was seized to the shaft, he had already called Yamaha to find out if I needed to take this back to the dealer for this repair, they said no, don't want the customer to have to run up and down the road for repairs and that even though they(Yamaha) really were not responsible they would totally cover the repair. I was a little ticked to say the least at my dealer, whom I will not mention and have not called because they will just deny it. So if you have purchased a boat recently you may want to pull the prop and check this. By the way my tech said Yamaha was by far the best company of all the motors out there to deal with. Anyone in the southeast part of Virginia I would highly recommend taking your boat to Jordon Point Marine and getting Justin to service it, as good and honest as they come, not to mention very thorough.

2. Member
    I'm in sales and I somewhat respect your decision not to "mention" the dealer. this however allows such dealers to continue to do or not do their job as you are being the "nice" guy. I'm all for someone not slandering, the truth however is the truth

3. Member
    All props are installed at skeeter by skeeter before shipping boat. Theoretically all a dealer needs to do is install batteries, hotfoot and perform pdi. I have a new boat for at least 8 hours work before sales gets it (or customer). Propshafts should be greased but i assure you when properly torqued the thrust washer will be hard to get loose.

4. Member
    Merc Doc, I am not questioning you, however I bought my boat off the showroom floor and the prop was not installed, it was in the rod locker along with the hot foot. I don't know if the dealer took it off for some reason when they received the boat, but I do know it was not on the first day I saw the boat and purchased it. So at that point they had to at least reinstall the prop . My Tech had to replace the prop shaft and all associated items and I am very thankful for Yamaha. I have been in maintenance for 35 years, millwright, hvac,electrical. I was there when he tried to remove the thrust washer, we ttried every trick he and I knew, I used to have to use bearing heaters and a device to freeze the shaft sometimes on large pump rebuilds to get the bearings off the shaft, we even tried a little heat, nothing was working. The prop shaft was bone dry, no sign or hint off any grease.

5. Member
    How would it seize if the boat has never been run for any length of time? Oops, answered the question, 20 hour service... Makes more sense after reading the subject. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200