Banned

opinions on breakin on new Suzuki 140 four stroke

****question about breaking period on this motor.
    2017 Suzuki 140 4 stoke
    I know if you search the web on breakin, you’ll get 100 different answers. Some say go by the book, some say run it like you stole it from the get-go.
    I kinda always went by the book, but that’s after dealer ran it, which happens about 100% of the time in any new boat sales, and usually runs it wot to see if prop is correct size.
    But in this case, dealer knows what prop it gets because we talked about that already. He’s sold 6 of these with the Suzuki 140A, and all ran best with Suzuki 23 pitch SS.
    Also, his reply to this is that the factory runs ALL outboards at wot for 10-15 minutes before even leaving the plant. Which I have heard plenty times before.

This dealer ( I’m actually selling with the owner) says his breakin on it is:

1) idle at boat ramp at least 5 minutes till warmed up.
    2) get on plane and run it at around 4500 rpms, while varying throttle/speed for around 10 minutes.
    3) then take it WOT for around 1 minute
    4) take back down to mid 4-4500 rpms for a couple minutes
    5) trailer it

this is my first four stroke, and plan on keeping it for a while, so I’d like to do it right as possible.

what do y’all think.
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 02-10-2018 at 08:24 AM.

2. Banned
    I would go by the book. Especially for warranty purpose. The computer will rat u out.

3. Member
    The computers only tell at what rpms you have been for ever how many minutes. I talked to a Suzuki rep and he said technically they can not tell how you broke it in. He said let it idol for 20minutes then get it up on plane and vary speed not full throttle for first hour then open it up and vary speed for the next 19 hours which is there breakin not 10 hours.

4. Banned
    just got ahold of the owner of the dealership, who’s going to do the water test, and I told him not to take it above half throttle. He said that will be no problem. I know not to baby it too much during the first hour, as that can glaze the internal parts, which will forever alter performance.