Helix 7 g2n update causes reboot cycle

Hey guys hoping you can help me out and get my unit working again. I attempted to update the software and basemaps on my Helix 7 G2N. Now I am stuck in an endless reboot cycle. I did find some old humminbird article that said did not work.

It said to let it boot up, go to normal mode. On the navigation screen do not hit exit but insert SD card with a different software version. I have the 1.460 and the 1.610 on the SD card. When I insert the card no prompt for the software comes up.

When I hit exit, the sonar screen flashes with a box to pick language and the box for the software update and then it goes into shutdown mode and reboots.

If I leave the SD card in it will just keep rebooting. If I remove it I can make the selections above for the boot mode and then get the navigation screen.

Any help would be appreciated. I hope I do not need to send this in I have a tournament next week and want this on the ice with me.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you have two unit software versions on a single card?????
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I was looking at this article from Humminbird.

https://www.humminbird.com/faqDetail.aspx?id=7044

I know that is not my model but it was the I found.

Try it with just the 1.610 and see it that makes a difference unless in the software description it states you need a lower version installed before the latest one.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    It says it needs to be a different version. I tried it with the previous working version. No other files on the card same thing. I am not able to get the software update screen to appear on the navigation warning screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehwalleye View Post
    It says it needs to be a different version. I tried it with the previous working version. No other files on the card same thing. I am not able to get the software update screen to appear on the navigation warning screen.
    I guess the next step is to assume you have a corrupt download.
    Delete the software and re-download it.
    The same software version number for my Helix 12 SI first generation is a little over 68 mb.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Have you tried booting into simulation mode? If not, remove all the cards and do that, then try updating again.

8. Member
    Yes it does the same thing in simulation mode. I did download the operating system again. I did get it to show that it has 1.610 installed. It would not recognize my older software version for install. I also downloaded the basemap again and tried to see if that was part of the problem. Nothing changed. After the navigation warning it shows the quick menu and the 2d sonar for a second and then starts shutting down.

9. Member
    Called bird today, they where unable to help me. So the bird gets to fly south.