Thread: Oil Pump Leak

Post Oil Pump Leak

2015 225 ProXS Serial# 2B115095 (around 65hrs)

Hey guys, I've noticed some DFI oil on the garage floor the other day and noticed that its was coming from the oil pump. I noticed the leak originating from the lower right hand side of the pump (looking at it from the front of engine). It had dripped from there, into the cowl, and was coming out on the front side of where the LU mounts to the motor. From what I have read, it seems that I would have to get another pump installed so I went to my local dealer to have them take a look. The mechanic said that this is a normal issue and after he inspected it, he tightened up the allen screws and said that it should take care of the leak but keep an eye on it......I am currently under Platinum warranty and he made a statement that if the leak does not go away, and a new pump is needed, Mercury may or may not deny the claim. From my understanding, the pump is not serviceable and I cant see how it would be denied. I understand that with Platinum gaskets and seals are not covered.....I guess my question(s) is, has anybody's leak been resolved by tightening of the screws? And also, am I at risk of this being denied if a new pump is needed? Thanks in advance everyone. And to BBC for keeping my productivity at a minimal during the day!

I had my oil pump replaced last Oct. It was leaking in the same area your is. I also have Platinum warranty. It did not cost me anything to replace it. He said that there is an o-ring that goes bad and causes it to leak. Be glad that you have a warranty. From what I hear, they are expensive to replace out of warranty.

3. Member
    If you want, after warranty is over (and I can't imagine Merc denying the claim on the oil pump unless it has been abused or something by banging on it) you can replace that o-ring yourself. Cheap and easy. Biggest issue is finding the replacement which needs to be very marginally thicker to avoid this problem... No idea why they never chose to go to a thicker o-ring. My 2014 failed the same way. Was replaced under platinum with no questions, other than the $25 deductible...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Ok. That’s good to hear. I have researched quite a bit on hear and seen where others are replacing the o ring themselves. That’s a great idea if the o ring is the only issue. Thanks for the input. Hopefully with it tightened, I won’t have a leak anymore but feel better knowing all should be covered if not.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I had a leak on mine also.....i tried tightening the bolts but it was tight as it would go and that didnt help.....got it replaced under warranty....and i don't see that as "normal issue" ....mine only had about 20hrs or so when it was leaking.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I had a leak on mine also.....i tried tightening the bolts but it was tight as it would go and that didnt help.....got it replaced under warranty....and i don't see that as "normal issue" ....mine only had about 20hrs or so when it was leaking.......

I agree. I guess the correct wording would be a “common issue”. After 2 diaphragms and now this, hopefully I’ll be out of the shops way for the season.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew18 View Post
    2015 225 ProXS Serial# 2B115095 (around 65hrs)

Hey guys, I've noticed some DFI oil on the garage floor the other day and noticed that its was coming from the oil pump. I noticed the leak originating from the lower right hand side of the pump (looking at it from the front of engine). It had dripped from there, into the cowl, and was coming out on the front side of where the LU mounts to the motor. From what I have read, it seems that I would have to get another pump installed so I went to my local dealer to have them take a look. The mechanic said that this is a normal issue and after he inspected it, he tightened up the allen screws and said that it should take care of the leak but keep an eye on it......I am currently under Platinum warranty and he made a statement that if the leak does not go away, and a new pump is needed, Mercury may or may not deny the claim. From my understanding, the pump is not serviceable and I cant see how it would be denied. I understand that with Platinum gaskets and seals are not covered.....I guess my question(s) is, has anybody's leak been resolved by tightening of the screws? And also, am I at risk of this being denied if a new pump is needed? Thanks in advance everyone. And to BBC for keeping my productivity at a minimal during the day!
    Your mechanic is WRONG and this is NOT normal - your engine is either under OEM warranty or Platinum protection. The oil pump is a covered item under both and the mechanic should have initiated procedures to replace it. Take it back and have them do what should have been done in the first place - replace the oil pump replaced. Leaking oil pumps don't stop.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    I agree. all three allen head bolts were loose on mine. Tightened them myself. No change. Apparently the o-ring is marginal in thickness. The cover contacts the body metal-to-metal, so if the o-ring doesn't seal the gap, it is going to leak. Personally I would have used a square-edged seal there (still round shape but edges are square rather than tubular) and made sure it was thick enough to compress and seal over the long haul. What they are using is simply not quite up to the task over the long haul for some. Whether this is manufacturing tolerance variation in o-ring thickness or something else, I do not know.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    I have a 2013 250 Pro XS. I replaced my O ring in my oil pump and had the tech reprime the pump. I haven't had it out more than about a 15 minute run so I don't know for sure if fixed the leak or not. The pump is approximately $500 give or take plus labor. If you are under warranty I would push to get it replaced.
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Member
    I would find a different mechanic!

11. Kllr bee
    I just had mine replaced and a new check valve. It is a 7.5 year old 300XS. Cost was 700 total at a Mercury dealer. Get I fixed, that is the heart of the motor!!!
    Richard

12. Member
    +100

Thanks guy's. I appreciate it. I'll see if I cant have them go ahead and replace it then.