Johnson GT 150 Starter Issues

I think I had a loose connection on my positive battery terminal last week ( I had taken it out to use in my jon boat with my kids) LSS, I started and ran it for about 15 mins and then killed it when i got it back on the trailer ( was doing bunk boards) went to click the trim and it would not work, smelled something burning and looked back, opened box and it almost melted the post. I replaced the lug and hooked it back up and it just clicked, took cowling off and the wire from the bottom of the starter soleniod to bottom of the starter was cooked and so was the bottom screw on the starter. I got a new starter today and put it in..still just clicks, did I cook the starter soleinoid also? I know on old trucks that click was a faulty voltage regulator. I have 12.3 showing at the top of that solenoid and the starter ground connection.

Soleniod is cheap, like $12, is this likely the issue?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You should have at least 12.6 volts. Check the other lugs and if you have wing nuts on the battery replace them with SS hex nuts and SS lock washers.

3. Member
    But shouldnt it at least try to start with 12.3? I have lock nuts on there, wing nuts on there before, likely caused the issus, Champ you dont think its the starter solenoid?

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Charge the battery then try it....

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven H View Post
    But shouldnt it at least try to start with 12.3? I have lock nuts on there, wing nuts on there before, likely caused the issus, Champ you dont think its the starter solenoid?
    Could be but don't use a Ford type solenoid. Use a jumper wire and jump across the solenoid an see if it engages.

6. Member
    I charged it all night and still clicking, tried it on another battery still clicking. Solenoid will be here tomorrow, if its not that im screwed!@

Clicking on the top connection of the soleniod, my son was hitting the key for me and you can hear it right there.

I know you can jump it across but its a cheap part, so I dont mind throwing the part at it if you will.

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I hope you got a good marine solenoid..

8. Member
    It was the solenoid, I got it Monday and its been raining, took the time to do it and that bendix popped up like morning wood!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven H View Post
    It was the solenoid, I got it Monday and its been raining, took the time to do it and that bendix popped up like morning wood!!!
    I think I might have had morning wood, I just don't remember.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Morning wood???? I think I've been single too long.....

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Good deal!

12. Member
    Update also, I did not even realize how worn that starter was , it sounds like I have 2 batteries on in now they starter is so strong!! Might want to keep this in mind for others who have ruled out battery as a potential weak start issue. I dont know they normal life on an average one is.