Thread: GAS

GAS

Does anyone have a solution for the fueling problem. I can hardly get mine to take gas. it takes about 30 mins to put 15 gallons in and i end up with 2 gallons all over the ground.

2. Member
    What boat, what year of boat? It has been mentioned in the past that the first fillup can be a problem, but the following fill ups are fine with no problems. I was told if there was that problem to put the left side tires on a 2x4 to tilt the boat so the gas can go in easy while the air in the tank comes back out easy. There are a couple threads on the subject, and how to fix it, but they are a year or 2 or 3 old.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    2014 721. i have tried everything and its getting worse everytime. Tim is sending me a new vent canister to see if that helps. apparently its a pretty common problem.

4. Member
    It's very common.... My 619 does it. I hate it. I never take the risk of waiting until the morning of the tournament to fill up because it could literally take me 30 mins to fill up if it's empty.

The only solution is to find a gas station that has a slopping bank. The side closest to the gas tank has to be higher. So yeah, the 2x4 method should work. But you'll look like an idiot doing that at a gas station. You can also turn the gas nozzle upside down. That helps some too.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

5. Member
    i have the same issue. 2014 920. Spoke with Tim at Phoenix and he sent me a new charcoal canister. Swapped it out and it worked great for the first fill up. It took me 30 mins to fill 20 gals this weekend. He mentioned it could be the canister or a check valve. I'm calling him this week to send me the check valve now. I've tried the 2x6 method and it hasn't really helped in my case.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

6. Member
    hopefully the canister fixes the issue. if the check valve and the canister don't fix the issue is it possible to just by pass them? Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

7. Member
    If you have an earlier boat, then maybe it is one with the 90 degree elbow feed into the take. Some here have removed that 90 and installed an angled elbow for a smoother feed into the tank. iF YOU LOOK AT THE PICTURE POSTED in the other thread, you'll see that elbow on the top of the tank, and at the end of the rubber fill tube..

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=884840
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

8. Member
    hold mine at 7oclock works good
    TrackerUser

Quote Originally Posted by Tsig View Post
    hopefully the canister fixes the issue. if the check valve and the canister don't fix the issue is it possible to just by pass them? Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
    New canister didn't fix mine after two months same issue. 2015 721, 2 brass nipples, 4 ss hose clamps and a short section of Marine Grade fuel hose fixed problem for me. Leave the canister bracket so you can zip tie the replacement stuff in place. Make sure to mark your seat hardware so it's easy to put back together. Also, mark tank cover carpet screw holes with a small sharpie or you may be using some dirty words.

10. Member
    Think I am going to by pass it. They canister they sent me won't line up with the bracket. Not sure if I am missing something but I am screwing with this thing. Any downside to bypassing?

Think I am going to by pass it. They canister they sent me won't line up with the bracket. Not sure if I am missing something but I am screwing with this thing. Any downside to bypassing?
    I say no, just use same materials and secure it to original brackets. Thought I still had a problem 6 months after removing but it was the gas stations issue.

12. Member
    I will say it is pretty nice to hold the pump wide open and not get gas everywhere

I will say it is pretty nice to hold the pump wide open and not get gas everywhere
    EPA would be proud of you not causing more environmental disasters.

14. Member
    Does anyone have a solution for the fueling problem. I can hardly get mine to take gas. it takes about 30 mins to put 15 gallons in and i end up with 2 gallons all over the ground.
    Good morning Tsig - let me see if I can help. I have a 2012 721 and have not modified anything from Tim at Phoenix. I've found the best solution, as already mentioned, is a slight slope down and away from the gas nozzle insert. I rotate the gas pump handle 180 degrees meaning the handle is now at 12 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock. If the gas tank is extremely low (on "E") then I will have one "burp" from the gas tank and have to listen for it before it spews all over the side of the boat. Once I get past this then I can run the gas handle at @ 30% or the first catch on the pump handle. At this rate and how this gas station has their pump pressures set-up I can get 25 gallons in the boat in @ 10 minutes. From experience I'll refill no later than the 1/4 tank line to avoid the "burp" and also, if you didn't know, the gas tanks hold 8 gallons below the "zero" gas gauge line due to the design of the tank and float sensor. If you want to fill to a full tank just turn your key on and watch the gauge as it's filling as it is very accurate at the top of the tank.

15. Member
    I didn't spend damn near 50 grand to do all that. i have tried all of what you said and it didn't work. i have been in a phoenix for 7+ years and this is the worst. I have had several other phoenix owners try with the same results. i am not sure i will leave it the way i have it or not. i need to do some research and see the possible effects of bypassing the canister. but for now its gets me by and isn't wasting my money or soaking me in gas.

16. Member
    I have a 2012 921. I hold the pump handle at 2 oclock. If I don't it cuts off every few seconds.