Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone using Gatorback bunks on their trailer?

I know the trailer that sits under the Phoenix has a lot of controversy, most of which is related to getting the boat on and off the trailer.
    Gatorback bunk boards are supposed to ease that process so I wonder if anyone has used them?

2. Member
    A bunch of us use them. I don't think there have been any real negatives of them. Mine seem to scuff the bottom kind of like carpet but I played with some shims under the bunks to even out the load and I don't think it does anymore. It loads crazy easy now

I have some. If you got steep ramps it's hit or miss. I finally hit mine with silicone and loads up perfect now.
    Phoenix 919 pro xp

4. Banned
    i dont have a phoenix but i do have gatorbacks. only neg in my mind is no power loading

5. Banned
    How do you load without driving the boat on? Im confused.

6. Scraps
    I have 'em on a Phoenix. I've never had a problem getting the boat on the trailer with or without Gatorbaks. And I do power load and don't know if I've done any gel damage in one season with them. I have more of an issue maneuvering the boat around the dock. Seems to handle like a pig at low speed. Way different in that respect than my old 461.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    I have them on my 721 if you power load you will wear them down the rubber peals off on to the boat just wipe the boat it comes off no damage I’ve used them for a year no scratches yet

8. Member
    mine is crazy easy too. Pull up until I make contact. Cut motor, winch last 18 inches. So easy someone has actually come up to me and ask me how I do it.

Real answer- gatorback, small tweeks to bunk position, and Dupont Teflon dry coating on the gatorbaks. The removable rub marks from gatorbaks almost don't exist any more.

and of course, hull is totally dry in 10 min after loading
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Got em, do power load, little bit of peeling, acts like carpet, Love em.

10. Member
    My gatorbacks are on a 2016 Basscat Puma, no issues.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    mine is crazy easy too. Pull up until I make contact. Cut motor, winch last 18 inches. So easy someone has actually come up to me and ask me how I do it.

Real answer- gatorback, small tweeks to bunk position, and Dupont Teflon dry coating on the gatorbaks. The removable rub marks from gatorbaks almost don't exist any more.

and of course, hull is totally dry in 10 min after loading
    Why would you stop 18 inches short?

12. Member
    12 to 18 inches is roughly the point where the boat stops unless I were to rev up the RPM's from idle to something more. Further, my trailer is in the water a few inches deeper such that if I were to hit the gas I am not certain I would come in over the roller. I've found it of no material impact to just cut the engine and crank up the boat. Since I started doing this I no longer see the snakeskin like marks on my boat nor any material wear on the gatorback.

Before I learned this approach I had the trailer in a bit shallower, I came in faster, and gave it 2 to 3k of rpm bump to fully load. This will work fine but will wear the bunks more. They are not very expensive so this could be a valid option for those that think 30 seconds of easy winching is a pain.
    2024 Phoenix 818

13. Banned
    12 to 18 inches is roughly the point where the boat stops unless I were to rev up the RPM's from idle to something more. Further, my trailer is in the water a few inches deeper such that if I were to hit the gas I am not certain I would come in over the roller. I've found it of no material impact to just cut the engine and crank up the boat. Since I started doing this I no longer see the snakeskin like marks on my boat nor any material wear on the gatorback.

Before I learned this approach I had the trailer in a bit shallower, I came in faster, and gave it 2 to 3k of rpm bump to fully load. This will work fine but will wear the bunks more. They are not very expensive so this could be a valid option for those that think 30 seconds of easy winching is a pain.

got it thanks

yeah I have no desire to crank the winch at all when I can use the engine which is running when I pull up there anyways

14. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I've got them and I have to power load. It wears on the gatorbak not the boat!! So they won't last as long power loading.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    How do you load without driving the boat on? Im confused.
    you crank the winch. power loading of any kind voids the warranty

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    you crank the winch. power loading of any kind voids the warranty
    what warranty?
    And what is power loading, idling up and then bump the gas to 2000 rpm or so is not power loading, its loading.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    what warranty?
    And what is power loading, idling up and then bump the gas to 2000 rpm or so is not power loading, its loading.
    if I recall properly a 2000 rpm bump is "motor assisted" and is OK. not considered power loading
    2024 Phoenix 818

18. Banned
    if I recall properly a 2000 rpm bump is "motor assisted" and is OK. not considered power loading
    That would be my guess. But then Ive never asked or cared about the warranty.

I use a half inch piece of wood to wedge in the pedal stop to keep it up on the pin while I run up and hook up the winch. Its just a few rpm over idle I would say, I havent really paid attention, on the steeper ramps without it it will fall back off the pin.

19. Member
    now that you mention it, the boat coming back off the roller is one small reason I just cut it and crank it. Seems to vary greatly by ramp.
    2024 Phoenix 818

20. Banned
    now that you mention it, the boat coming back off the roller is one small reason I just cut it and crank it. Seems to vary greatly by ramp.

gotcha, I just wedge that small piece of wood I made in the pedal between the stop. I store it right there in the pedal on the right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast