Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    The issue I had was mostly created by other folks loading and unloading beside my trailer as they'd stir the clay, sand, muck etc., (lower Alabama waterways) which placed this substance on the carpet. As stated to Tim in an e-mail within a month of ownership; "My 250 Pro XS has 23 hours of run time and I'd say there's about 20 times my 920 has been unloaded and loaded across the carpeted bunks". See attached.

I was cleaning the bottom and noticed the thousands of fine scratches (black hull). I took pictures and sent off to Tim. A few weeks later I made the trip up to the factory and dropped off boat for a week so they could buff out the scratches, replace my bunks, carpet and I had a few other minor issues corrected (thank you Tim). The next week I returned home where my son and I replaced carpet with Gatorback bunks (thank you Damon of Gatorback).

In the 3 1/2 years I've owned Gatorback covered bunks I've no issues. Sure, initially there was some material left on the hull which as stated above is easily removed, and within a week I started spraying the bunks down with BTS (btsproducts.com). I've loaded at some steeper ramps alone and had to leave the engine in gear while I walked up to secure to trailer, else the boat slides off. You learn over time the amount to spray, and BTS is safe for aquatic life too.

Gatorbunks

BTS

Boat is dry within minutes of departing waterway, hope that helps.
    -Donald

Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP / MERC 250 PRO XS / 25P Tempest
    FORTREX 101 / Double HDS-10s

Good post Sir. Gatorbak's are the only way to go. Below is a pic of my hull... no scratches, no blisters, no nasty vegitation and loading is a breeze.

Last edited by Walleye1875; 03-12-2018 at 08:08 PM.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

3. Member
    Thank You sir. Hard to believe we're in a society that has little to no improvement in bunk covering material from the factory (for years). I get it, but with the changes in gel coat material, some of these boats never get out/off the water. Mine cost me to much and within a month of ownership; I felt a change was imminent. Amazing how often at boat ramps guys will ask questions about my bunks, which affords me the opportunity to show a few old pictures. LOL, as I walk away I slowly look over my shoulder to see them eyeballing their own hull.
    See you out on the water-Donald
    Last edited by Iculukn2; 03-13-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    2014 PHOENIX 920 PRO XP / MERC 250 PRO XS / 25P Tempest
    FORTREX 101 / Double HDS-10s

4. Member
    How is your black hull so shiny??

Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post
    Good post Sir. Gatorbak's are the only way to go. Below is a pic of my hull... no scratches, no blisters, no nasty vegitation and loading is a breeze.

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassHog007 View Post
    cause he does this a lot.

Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    It's funny cuz it's true!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassHog007 View Post
    Don't judge off of his boat. He keeps that damn thing to clean lol

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Don't judge off of his boat. He keeps that damn thing to clean lol
    Cause he never uses it. lol
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BluBird920 View Post

Whats the secret sauce??

Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    cause he does this a lot.

Correct. Lots of elbow grease and an orbital buffer.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

11. Member
    my dark grey hull has some scratches. I think most from carpet and beaching it around pea gravel, still when I put the gatorbacks on I felt they might be marking my hull. After some silicone dry lube spray on my gatorbaks, I can say I don't believe any scratches of any type related to the bunks. totally happy I made the change. if I bought a new boat tomorrow would make the change as long as your boat loads well.. If you have loading issues, fix those first then put the gatorbacks on.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123