6.5 creedmore for yotes

Thinking about picking up a new song dog gun. It will be basically the only thing I do with it besides target shooting. Thinking of a 22-250 or the creedmore. Anyone use the 6.5 for coyotes?

Are you saving fur? If so then probably not the best choice.

yea if you don't want to save hides anything will work.
    my personal gun for Yotes is a 223 AR. simple and effective I shoot 50gr Nosler BT through mine.
    but if I wanted to I could just break out any other high power rifle I have

Yea I have always used a 12ga in the thick stuff or my 30.06. I think I am just looking at an excuse for new gun??

What range are you expecting to shoot. Something to carry much or short strolls to a shooting destination. You want a 5lb gun or a 9lb gun. A good ol 243 will work great out to 400 or so. The 6.5 is kinda considered a long range round. LOTS of options!!!

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My son just bought me a 6.5, I am going to yote hunt with. Not that I don't have 223 and 25 06 already. I don't keep the fur anymore any way.
    Last edited by Roddy; 02-10-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

7. Member
    The 6.5 CM is tough on fur but if your good with a needle and thread it can be fixed. A 223, 22-250 or 243 are more common yote calibers
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

8. Member
    I've got several 6.5's, in both Creedmor and a few Sweeds. The Creedmor is a fantastic gun for long range yotes and med size deer. But, cost of ammo is outrageous...therefore, I'd suggest shooting yotes with .223 or .308 since ammo is still fairly cheep for those two.

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler95 View Post
    I've got several 6.5's, in both Creedmor and a few Sweeds. The Creedmor is a fantastic gun for long range yotes and med size deer. But, cost of ammo is outrageous...therefore, I'd suggest shooting yotes with .223 or .308 since ammo is still fairly cheep for those two.
    Do you really shoot so many coyotes that the cost of ammo makes a difference.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

10. Member
    Not really, but I like to target practice with guns I hunt with and at around $1.50/round the 6.5 can get expensive to shoot.

11. Member
    I built a 6.5 Grendel that I think would be great for coyotes.

12. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler95 View Post
    Not really, but I like to target practice with guns I hunt with and at around $1.50/round the 6.5 can get expensive to shoot.
    I am ordering dies for my 6.5 soon. I ordered a 20moa rail for i this weekend.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I am ordering dies for my 6.5 soon. I ordered a 20moa rail for i this weekend.

I reload for $.63 per shot with Hornady 165 SST’s. I like to get all I can out of my guns and reloading is the only way I have been able to do it. I think you will like like it! My 6.5 is subMOA at 600 yards, wish my range was longer.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pole Bender View Post
    I reload for $.63 per shot with Hornady 165 SST’s. I like to get all I can out of my guns and reloading is the only way I have been able to do it. I think you will like like it! My 6.5 is subMOA at 600 yards, wish my range was longer.
    I'm still developing a load for my 6.5 (6.5x284). it's been a fun learning experience
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

15. Member
    Since it is a dedicated coyote gun and your heart is set on a Creedmor, why not the 6 Creedmor? If that is all I was going to do with it, I would do like others have suggested and get a 22 CF of some persuasion.

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pole Bender View Post
    My son in TX said he buys factory loads for $18 a box.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!