2012 Triton 21 HP Prop Question

Hey guys, I've recently joined the Triton family. Used to have a Ranger 520 beforehand. I picked up a 2012 Triton 21 HP with a merc 250 Proxs torquemaster. The current prop on it is a Temptest Plus 23p. Giving our weather here, its been too cold to get the boat on the water to test it out. My question is, what kind of prop do you all recommend for this boat? Who knows, this prop may be perfect for me but I'm just trying to get ahead of the game so when I do hit the water, I have the proper set up so I can focus on fishing and not performance. Boat will be loaded with tackle and generally have 2 people. I fish tourneys and generally have a co angler with me.

Also, what kind of prop to pad height do you all recommend for this boat? I have a 10" manual jackplate so its not as convenient to adjust like my Ranger was. I'm hoping to make those adjustments at home so when I hit the water, I'm pretty close where I need to be.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    26 tempest

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    26 tempest

Thanks buddy!

I run a 26p Tempest on mine

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AreTheyBiting View Post

Thanks! I may have to order me one! Anyone tried a Fury 25p?

6. Member

Care to share what your prop to pad height is also? I'm going to measure mine tomorrow and make adjustments if need be. I literally just pulled this boat home from Florida so I haven't had a chance to check the prop to pad height yet.

my PTP is currently 2.5 inches
    I plan to raise it a little more yet

I ran a 25 fury PTP for the fury was at 3 inches
    I much prefer the Tempest it was a 3 mph gain
    gave me more bow lift and the boat felt better
    Last edited by AreTheyBiting; 02-08-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: fat fingered typing

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

8. Member
    my PTP is currently 2.5 inches
    I plan to raise it a little more yet

I ran a 25 fury PTP for the fury was at 3 inches
    I much prefer the Tempest it was a 3 mph gain
    gave me more bow lift and the boat felt better

Gotcha...thank you so much for your response!

9. Member
    I have 2012 21HP Elite with a 250 Pro XS, with 10 inch Hydraulic jackplate. Pick the boat up in Kentucky 2 years ago. Boat had a 25 Fury on it when I got it. Didn't like the way the prop carry the bow, basically won't unless WOT, with prop setting 3 inch under pad. I pickup a Bravo XS, 8 pvs holes, in 27 inch pitch, which was the suggestion from Scott Reichow from Mercury Racing. This was before they were making them in half sizes, Scott told me that Fury's ran one size less pitch than Tempest and Bravo's ran 1 inch more. I later asked him about the slip that I was figuring out, which was 18% using Mercury prop slip calculator. Scott told me to use a 26 pitch instead of 27 because that is what the prop[ is running like, slip numbers came down to 11% and that was at 4850 rpms. He said that the slip would come down at WOT.
    My boat is heavy loaded and ran 72 at 5700 rpms, with two people in each around 225 each. The best thing That I like about the prop is load carrying ability, how well it carries the bow and the awesome midrange. I'm running about 2 inches below the pad, but in changes depending on load, nice thing about a hydraulic jackplate. I now think that a 26 1/2 inch would be better year round prop as it would help more in the summertime. I think I can get more speed out of mine by playing the engine height, but I don't fish tournament anymore. Just like to blow the carbon out ever so often. You really need to try the prop, I think you will like it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyT View Post
    I have 2012 21HP Elite with a 250 Pro XS, with 10 inch Hydraulic jackplate. Pick the boat up in Kentucky 2 years ago. Boat had a 25 Fury on it when I got it. Didn't like the way the prop carry the bow, basically won't unless WOT, with prop setting 3 inch under pad. I pickup a Bravo XS, 8 pvs holes, in 27 inch pitch, which was the suggestion from Scott Reichow from Mercury Racing. This was before they were making them in half sizes, Scott told me that Fury's ran one size less pitch than Tempest and Bravo's ran 1 inch more. I later asked him about the slip that I was figuring out, which was 18% using Mercury prop slip calculator. Scott told me to use a 26 pitch instead of 27 because that is what the prop[ is running like, slip numbers came down to 11% and that was at 4850 rpms. He said that the slip would come down at WOT.
    My boat is heavy loaded and ran 72 at 5700 rpms, with two people in each around 225 each. The best thing That I like about the prop is load carrying ability, how well it carries the bow and the awesome midrange. I'm running about 2 inches below the pad, but in changes depending on load, nice thing about a hydraulic jackplate. I now think that a 26 1/2 inch would be better year round prop as it would help more in the summertime. I think I can get more speed out of mine by playing the engine height, but I don't fish tournament anymore. Just like to blow the carbon out ever so often. You really need to try the prop, I think you will like it.

Thanks so much Buddy for your info! I'm gonna order me a Tempest Plus 26p.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonp005 View Post
    Thanks so much Buddy for your info! I'm gonna order me a Tempest Plus 26p.
    Brandon
    You should know not all Tempests are perfect coming out of the box
    Mine has been balanced & Blueprinted

If your new Tempest doesn't run like you hope it will, it may need to be B&B'd

Brandon

Where did you get your prop done if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
    Where did you get your prop done if you don't mind me asking. Thanks
    Performance Prop in Soddy Daisy TN
    it's 30 minutes from me and has a excellent reputation otherwise I would ship my stuff to Mark Croxton

14. Member
    Brandon

I agree! I’ll be sending it to Mark Croxton in the event it needs worked. He worked my last one for my Ranger and had it running like a champ!

15. Member
    Figured out why the previous owner had a 23p tempest plus on the boat. The engine height was set 4.75" below pad. He said it had a 25p on it before and wouldn't turn 5200 rpms (something around there I believe it was he said). Then put the 23p Tempest Plus on to bring the numbers to around 6000 rpm at 72mph. That's no load and one tech driving.

I plan on bringing this up on the manual jackplate to 2.5" below pad and put a 26p Tempest Plus on it. Hoping to have the new prop next week! Stay tuned.
    Last edited by brandonp005; 02-15-2018 at 02:09 AM.