Several Questions for a Crank Bait Building Newbie

I have decided that I am slowing down on the rod building and want to get into painting/building plugs. Balsa will come later, but as for now I want to get everything setup and focus on a couple blanks -- Spro LJ KO and the 1.5DD KO. I have done some research on suppliers and the equipment needed, but I am curious about a few things still unanswered:
    1.) Where do you guys buy your split rings? Not sure what to compare quality to based on what you get in an average plug off the shelf.
    2.) What sizes are you guys using for split rings? Are the descriptions by the supplier usually pretty accurate?
    3.) Are there any options for clear coating other than brushing on a 2 part epoxy? I've seen where some guys use plasti-dip for when the satin finish is desired.
    4.) Is there any brand of paint that you guys recommend that is easiest to blend without cutting?

I'm sure I will have many more questions, but thanks in advance!
    2015 Phoenix 819

There are some real good folks on here but also check out Tackle Underground. A ton of info on that site plus most are more than willing to share tips and tricks.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

3. Member
    Lots of various products available. When it comes to split rings I order mine from tacklewarehouse mostly. For those blanks I use size 3 VMC rings. I use #4 VMC for like the 2.5 square bill, most everything else I use the size 3. Academy sells the size 3 but only in 10 packs. I have bought some rings from Bass Pro, but it's too far so I get them online mostly. Clear coating is 2 part Devcon epoxy for me. It's easy to get locally (Ace hardware for me) and it brushes on easily with a cheap little brush. I add a few drops of alcohol when mixing and I can get a few more baits done before it gets hard to brush. Some use the KBS Diamond clear (Lurepartsonline carries it) and then uses a lure turner. I only paint for my personal use so I like the epoxy method (don't brush on too heavy, or when you hang them it will sag and harden with a tail!! No big deal you can use a blade to take it off. I like the Testors paint the best. It seems to spray easier than the createx wicked colors. You have to reduce the createx colors more. Painting takes practice, you learn tricks the more you do it. I am of the opinion though that all the super fancy designs guys do, is impressive, but fish can't see the detail! They are crankbaits, that get bit while in motion, they don't have to have great detail. I do some detail, but nothing like some of the guys. That old saying, fancy baits catch fisherman as much as fish, has some truth to it. TackleUnderground is a good site for info.

^ pretty much...

Only thing I don't "agree" with is the createx statement, but only because I have only used createx and it has worked fine for me. Not to say he isn't right, just saying createx is a good start.

This is what I bought when I got started and have been adding other colors that I need sporadically.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/CREKIT-STAR...3#.Wn0GnZ9MHZ8

Edit: I use a different clear coat though, its GST Concrete Sealer... I am not sure if Menards carries it anymore or not, but it is a dip and hang type clear.
    Last edited by FlipSide; 02-09-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    I have decided that I am slowing down on the rod building and want to get into painting/building plugs. Balsa will come later, but as for now I want to get everything setup and focus on a couple blanks -- Spro LJ KO and the 1.5DD KO. I have done some research on suppliers and the equipment needed, but I am curious about a few things still unanswered:
    1.) Where do you guys buy your split rings? Not sure what to compare quality to based on what you get in an average plug off the shelf Straight from Worth, Janns, Eagle Claw lazer are good if you want black.
    2.) What sizes are you guys using for split rings? Are the descriptions by the supplier usually pretty accurate? Size 2 fits most of my needs
    3.) Are there any options for clear coating other than brushing on a 2 part epoxy? I've seen where some guys use plasti-dip for when the satin finish is desired 3 part automotive lacquer
    4.) Is there any brand of paint that you guys recommend that is easiest to blend without cutting? Polytranspar lacquer taxidermy paint all the way

I'm sure I will have many more questions, but thanks in advance!

There are many guys using KBS diamond clear and its a dip and hang and most are happy with that. Others can give you advice on that product.
    Every day work-every day pray. I won't back up, I don't back down, I've been raised up to stand my ground. Shotgun toter, republican voter.
    GOD
    One Nation

6. Member
    KBS diamond clear is so easy, I don't fuss with the others anymore. For the hobbyist painting their own cranks, that is the ticket. Get on TU to get more details on using/storing KBS.

Createx paints are good, a little dilution can help them spray but IMO are much better than anything Testors sells. Paint is personal choice, but I stick with acrylics so I can paint inside and not stink up the place. Use a hair dryer to make sure all the moisture is out of the paint before dipping in KBS or you can get some wrinkles.

The two blanks you chose are some of my favorites. Good luck.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    KBS diamond clear is so easy, I don't fuss with the others anymore. For the hobbyist painting their own cranks, that is the ticket. Get on TU to get more details on using/storing KBS.

Createx paints are good, a little dilution can help them spray but IMO are much better than anything Testors sells. Paint is personal choice, but I stick with acrylics so I can paint inside and not stink up the place. Use a hair dryer to make sure all the moisture is out of the paint before dipping in KBS or you can get some wrinkles.

The two blanks you chose are some of my favorites. Good luck.
    Agree with your Testors comment not much i like about their products at all.